How'd it go today?

Jim, what I see in your pictures is land, lots and lots of land. Our island is about 3 miles x 7 miles, so not a lot of land plus what land there is is pretty much built out.

I did see your adorable son, the cool suburban and the pup, but man the LAND.

After seeing your picture, I was thinking that a Pyreneean would probably work better in your winters.

One thing about those breeds; they will not do what you tell them to.
They are bred to be individualists and protect livestock.

Most people who want them as pets, come up against something, they never expected.
But then IMO most people can't train dogs for shit, anyway.

So let them do their job, and don't try to teach them to "heel" , " Roll over", " Play dead" and all the other mindless crap people waste their own and their dog's time on.

Bet you knew that already, but I just had to say it.

Just heard a mouse scream in the cellarway. It ran up against Mamas, but got away from her. Ran under the door I guess. I have a broken window down there I halfassed fixed, but I need to get it fixed properly, Dunno if the mouse got in there, or somewhere else. I always get a few in the fall. Not as many since I've been feeding outside cats though. Spot seems to be a pretty good hunter.

After seeing your picture, I was thinking that a Pyreneean would probably work better in your winters.

One thing about those breeds; they will not do what you tell them to.
They are bred to be individualists and protect livestock.

Most people who want them as pets, come up against something, they never expected.
But then IMO most people can't train dogs for shit, anyway.

So let them do their job, and don't try to teach them to "heel" , " Roll over", " Play dead" and all the other mindless crap people waste their own and their dog's time on.

Bet you knew that already, but I just had to say it.
What if a spider walks by your dog?

"ROLL OVER"

*squish*

The other stuff is foolishness, I agree Stig...but "heel" I fervently believe in a potentially life saving command for one's dog to know and solidly obey. Assuming of course that you and your dog might ever interact with the world at large :).

Giving the shop a tune up. Finally.

Finally!!

Been overdue.
A lot more space in a clean shop, and tools where they should be.
I've been spoiled, using my neighbor's shop with the... Everything, including heat.
Been cutting up some heat for him, too.
The other neighbor runs the splitter for beer, and something to do.

I'm setting up a small, easily heatable space in my shop, already framed in, needing some cleaning and paint, plus a door rehung. Multipurpose.

The other stuff is foolishness, I agree Stig...but "heel" I fervently believe in a potentially life saving command for one's dog to know and solidly obey. Assuming of course that you and your dog might ever interact with the world at large :).
That one slipped by me, sorry. Right you are. .
I don't use heel, I simply use lay down as a standard command.
A large dog that simply lays down on command sends a very non threateting signal.

We did a trip to the beach today, always a hit with a dog and a Swiss woman in the house.
Met a former K9 officer walking with a 13 week old labrador pup on a leash.
I never use a leash, except for the mental one.
So I told Thais to lay down and the guy came right over and asked if his pup could meet the big dog.
He said that he recognized right away that mine was a well trained animal and no threat to his little guy.
So he let the pup loose and they had a great time romping on the beach.
Wish I had brought my camera.

I've always preferred "down", if a verbal command. It starts with a hard consonant which seems to get better response for me in general.

Wrapped the wifeys suburban up yesterday.
Out with the old, in with the new to us rear end. Old one lost the pinion seal and shim and was wobbly and leaking. So i bought a whole rear axel with about 100,000 on it and a year warranty. Also new brakes rear, out put shaft seal. New bump stops are on order.
Took it out to dinner for fish and chips last night. Oh, and replaced the fuel pump seal that was leaking. Easier to drop the tank with out the axel in the way. 20200925_165652.jpg 20200925_165646.jpg 20200925_165625.jpg

How much are fuel pumps? I mighta replaced that for the hell of it, just so I wouldn't have to do it later.

You have a point, but I lost my taste for mechanical adventure and spontaneity years ago. I spent a good bit of my life driving stuff that had no business being on the road. The sense of victory after a successful simple trip was kinda satisfying, but I don't really miss it :^D

How much are fuel pumps? I mighta replaced that for the hell of it, just so I wouldn't have to do it later.
Haha!
Was a new fuel pump. The seal that came with it did not seal proper in that when you filled the tank, it would sploosh about, leak a bit and leave a trail. Which you find out about after you put the damn tank back up. So I bought a better seal with a bigger splash flange and used the opportunity :D
Sucks to drop the tank on these with the axle in the way. Only about maybe 1/2" after you pull hoses.

Last edited:
I was going to help a friend remove a dead red oak today but he had some family stuff come up. No biggie, I have plenty to do here. Ended up getting not much done and took a few naps. I’m still tired.

Back