How'd it go today?

That one slipped by me, sorry. Right you are. .
I don't use heel, I simply use lay down as a standard command.
A large dog that simply lays down on command sends a very non threateting signal.

We did a trip to the beach today, always a hit with a dog and a Swiss woman in the house.
Met a former K9 officer walking with a 13 week old labrador pup on a leash.
I never use a leash, except for the mental one.
So I told Thais to lay down and the guy came right over and asked if his pup could meet the big dog.
He said that he recognized right away that mine was a well trained animal and no threat to his little guy.
So he let the pup loose and they had a great time romping on the beach.
Wish I had brought my camera.

"Down" is fine for a static position. I teach that, too. As well as "Sit". Depends on the situation. "Sit" if I want to show that the beast is not yet of minimal hazard to the nearby person, or if there is no hazard to protect against. "Down" is to make the beast as small a perceived risk as possible. In my experience, my dogs like "sit" over "down"...no need to make them more uncomfortable than need be.

But I also want to be able to keep the dog at my side, under tight verbal control, yet continue to move through pedestrian traffic. "Heel" is the command for that situation.

Last edited:
Another good day in the PNW.
Put up some firewood. Sheds are getting full.
Scoped some work for an HOA, regular customer, after a recent failure, 5 minutes from home.
1/9th of my pole barn/ shop is a room that went from needing some old counter top and cabinet ripped out and to be cleaned...
to floor to ceiling painted.
I'll install a door that's in storage, and add a heater. Way more useful!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_203408371_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200927_203408371_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200927_223140535_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200927_223140535_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200927_223150002_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200927_223150002_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
Well today is off to an interesting start. Got up and immediately heard a fan running in the otherwise quiet house... "refrigerator cycled on" I thought, but then "either my hearing has suddenly shown a vast improvement or that fan is a lot louder than normal". Came out to find the two-year old oven had turned itself on sometime last night and the blasted fan that is there only to keep the electronics from overheating was running at top speed. The kitchen was nice and warm despite the house heat not yet being on for the season. Nothing would turn it off; pulled it out and unplugged it; plugged it back in after a while and it started heating again!
None of the knobs were in the "On" position. It was not in the Automatic Cleaning mode, nothing would turn it off. Neither calrod unit was glowing, so at least the short circuit was only one relay on the control board allowing only a 120volt feed, not 240volt...

The clock displayed the correct time. When I searched online, others report that when this occurs there is no clock displayed, rather an "F1" error code for a malfunction to the control board on the digital readout. There have been recalls of other models and makes with similar failures. My question: Why would an engineer design a device that reports a fault and the default system response to that fault code, hard-wired into the logic board, is "do nothing" rather than "shut down the device"?
It's like they are asking for a liability claim.

It is almost impossible to find a newer range/oven that does not have the control-board-run fan built into them. They skimp on insulation and then must 'protect' the electronic control board from excessive heat.

That's modern chinese junk for you! It sucks how I have to spend hours shopping and looking through reviews on most things I want to buy just to find out it is all over sophisticated cheaply built junk from Asia that has and will be only available for a few years in that model before another major redesign. There's lots of stuff I haven't bought yet for those reasons.

"Down" is fine for a static position. I teach that, too. As well as "Sit". Depends on the situation. "Sit" if I want to show that the beast is not yet of minimal hazard to the nearby person, or if there is no hazard to protect against. "Down" is to make the beast as small a perceived risk as possible. In my experience, my dogs like "sit" over "down"...no need to make them more uncomfortable than need be. In my experience, my dogs like "sit" over "down"...no need to make them more uncomfortable than need be.

But I also want to be able to keep the dog at my side, under tight verbal control, yet continue to move through pedestrian traffic. "Heel" is the command for that situation.

You know, eventually I'll probably learn to keep my mouth shut.

Why the hell I included " Heel" in the list of stupid commands, I don't know.

Of course I have a command for walking next to me, be hard to take the dog anywhere without it.

As for the "sit over down" I agree, but if there is only one command and you are a GOOD DOG when you do it, that'll work.
I use a descending whistle tone for that.
Picked that up from a hunter, it really impressed me when he did that whistle and all hid dogs just went flat.

I was talking to a forester who works for the forest cooperative that we do a lot of work for, today.
He was telling me that they had just had a policy meeting about what to do when they encounter people with loose dogs in the forests, that they run.
There are some strict leash rules here and the fine for not complying is $350

Oooops, said I, I just happen to have one of those loose dogs..
Gave the out of the truck whistle and Thais came running up from the truck, which was parked abot 500 meters away.
After he had visited with the forester I said " Bil" ( Danish for car) and he ran back and jumped in the truck.
I then explained to the forester how the truck is magnetic, so once in, he can't leave it till he hears the whistle.

I won't be having any trouble from him about my loose dog:lol:

Routine day. Nothing exciting, but it was kinda hot; 80°. Left the house angry this morning cause it was warm and wet out. Fall's in sight, but not here, and I just want summer gone at this point. At every point really, but when fall gets close, it feels like it's trolling me.

My locust shrooms are sprouting pretty well. Kinda curious if they're edible. just started looking online, but I wouldn't feel good about eating them unless someone I trusted saw them in person, and said they were absolutely good.

IMG_20200928_155113.jpg

Short day (2 hrs) today, perfectly between rain storms...actually boss wanted to chit chat and held me over for an extra 1/2 hr, but as we weren't talking much about work I didn't hit him for the time...

Two more days and then closed for the season. I'm ready...been straight 7 mornings a week since first of May.

99% sure those are sulfur shelf, and edible. Not 100%. A lot of areas have mycology clubs or something similar, worth a search

That's what I was thinking Sean, but I've never had them before. I'm only familiar with them from the internet. I like free surprise food, but mushrooms...

Forgot. I got a flyer in the mail today about an echo sale event in mid October. Been debating on a cs490 for awhile now to use as an office saw. I have the PoulanPro, and it works after a fashion, but I hate that saw. Every time I think I've got it running right, it soon makes a liar out of me. Nothing about it is good, but it does cut wood eventually, and it's paid for, so I think "I'll get it running right soon, and it'll be good enough", and that turns into "frig this saw! I want something worth running...". I don't like frivolously spending money, but... Decisions, decisions...

Forgot. I got a flyer in the mail today about an echo sale event in mid October. Been debating on a cs490 for awhile now to use as an office saw. I have the PoulanPro, and it works after a fashion, but I hate that saw. Every time I think I've got it running right, it soon makes a liar out of me. Nothing about it is good, but it does cut wood eventually, and it's paid for, so I think "I'll get it running right soon, and it'll be good enough", and that turns into "frig this saw! I want something worth running...". I don't like frivolously spending money, but... Decisions, decisions...
Well, I was working in PA today, so I stopped by the saw shop to get a gas can, and order a reel of chain. I asked if he had any used saws for sale, and he showed me what he had in the back. I ended up getting an 026 for $195. I actually don't have it yet. I forgot to loadup with money this morning, so I gave him $100 to hold on to it for me, and I'll give him the rest when I pickup the chain. Not an amazing deal or anything, but it's $100 cheaper than the echo @ 15% off, and I trust him to not sell junk.

Yea, I think it'll be ok. Bar's pretty beat, and I realized I didn't even look at the setup while I was in there regarding gauge/pitch. I'm thinking I'd like to change it over to 3/8lp, but if it's 3/8 now, and I like it, that'll be fine too. What I don't really want is to add .325 to my stable. If that's what it is, I can get rid of a chain I bought by mistake(assuming it's .50 gauge), and the one it's wearing, then change everything over, That was my intention with the echo if I got it.

I got an older 026 and an 024 Super, they’re excellent saws. Great limbing and small bucking felling saw. Very fast with a 16”, but she’ll run a 20” fine if you’re not in a big hurry.
I put a 20” on mine for in tree use when I need bigger than top handle, I try to shave a few pounds where I can when climbing.
It takes the .325 really well. I don’t run that chain on much either but it’s almost like it’s made for 50cc saws.

Couldn't decide if they wanted to do Davy Crockett or Buck Rogers? :^D

I like your mower there. That actually looks like my first reel mower; a Craftsman I think. I ended up breaking it when it jammed me in the stomach one too many times on a hot day by stopping dead on a stick in the yard. I picked it up and threw it :^D Replaced it with a bigger Scotts reel mower, then eventually got a riding tractor.

I was removing a bed of pachysandra in my front yard and stumbled upon old concrete buried a couple inches deep. It had some sort of pipe set in it. The little but mighty loader was able to dig and move it. Who would bury such large chunks of concrete? Also finished the doors on the greenhouse. 2020 figs will ripen!

Attachments

• 20200930_173751.jpg
    20200930_173751.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200930_120911.jpg
    20200930_120911.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Fine looking machine, and sweet self sufficiency you are working on with the Ghouse!

Back