How'd it go today?

John,
I have to go back for some small fussy pruning, so I'll measure that cherry and see if it is a state champ yet.

I also heard from the little church that owns the Maryland State Champion White Oak.
I had a bunch of folks come out and climb and deadwood it about three years ago.
I need to organize another fun climb/work day and get it cleaned up again.

If you are interested in helping and climbing a really fun tree, let me know.

Here is the photo from back then:
1600993114871.png

Had a stump job to do yesterday. Always test run the stumper at the shop, didn't start. Head gasket was bad, and then I find the head was cracked. I thought the decompression was broke since the stumper has been a pig to start this past year. Guess I was wrong, fired up great and lots of power with a new head gasket and a used head from the old engine.

Then off to the GF's place,.getting the back of her yard set up for my gear. Old wooden gate was taken down, some used posts put in, used gate that I had to cut to fit, tensioning the chainlink tonight. Hope next week I can get the other gate made.

20200924_102925.jpg 20200924_104026.jpg

20200924_184518.jpg

That's a fantastic tree Pat! Yea, I'd be interested in helping deadwood it, as long as I wasn't getting in anyone's way. It's not like I really know what I'm doing, so I could end up being a slightly mobile obstacle :^D

Every climb is a learning experience.
Last time we had seven climbers and five groundies; each climber took and worked a 'slice' of the tree.
I'll keep you informed of when we hope to get together.
I'll head out there in a few days to assess, and get an idea of what needs attention.

Nice Jim! Have you ever heard of the concept of vehicle rust, or are you just blissfully ignorant? :/:

Now that I've seen that XR, I may not get any sleep tonight.

I've spent a lot of time in Suburbans of that vintage Jim. Back when I started, they were the *standard* survey truck. That's what almost every company used. Now it's a mix, but pickups seem to be most used, especially midsize trucks. Crews are smaller now, so the room of a Suburban isn't necessary.

Is it marijuana harvest season in the Northeast? I'm afraid to drive with the window down, man does it stink, EVERYWHERE!:/:

Stopped in at a friend's place and he was having trouble with powdery mildew on his plants. I told him to call in to the gardening show on the radio Saturday, see if they had any advice.:lol:

Had a stump job to do yesterday. Always test run the stumper at the shop, didn't start. Head gasket was bad, and then I find the head was cracked. I thought the decompression was broke since the stumper has been a pig to start this past year. Guess I was wrong, fired up great and lots of power with a new head gasket and a used head from the old engine.

Then off to the GF's place,.getting the back of her yard set up for my gear. Old wooden gate was taken down, some used posts put in, used gate that I had to cut to fit, tensioning the chainlink tonight. Hope next week I can get the other gate made.

View attachment 103757View attachment 103758

View attachment 103759
I'm not sure I see the crack, or a crack that would cause it to not run. I think I see where the gasket was blown.

Is it marijuana harvest season in the Northeast? I'm afraid to drive with the window down, man does it stink, EVERYWHERE!:/:

Stopped in at a friend's place and he was having trouble with powdery mildew on his plants. I told him to call in to the gardening show on the radio Saturday, see if they had any advice.:lol:
Smell like skunk ? :lol:

23F7F089-8EA4-43D9-B378-A175CBD98435.jpeg So my chip truck with a half load wouldn’t start after finishing a job, called a local with a big wrecker for a tow. Checked three shops that do trucks/diesel and earliest opening was two weeks. The tow guy also runs a successful garage and said “I bet it is just the starter and I’ll put it in if that’s the issue”. Truck towed at 1pm and he called with it done at 3pm, $505 including tow. He is also “two weeks out.” How often does that happen these days? Renewed some faith which was really nice.

I've always wanted to try push starting an automatic to see if it would work. I guess the problem might be shifting it into gear without a running engine. Stupid modern tech.

The last auto you could pull start was the Powergilde.

Not sure about the modern stuff or heavy duty.

The powerglide would pull start because it had a pump on the output shaft.

Now you have me wondering about my DSG trans in the VW TDI.

I will have shut it off in gear and see if the clutches are open or shut.

Back