How'd it go today?

Interesting. I will have to open the battery up to see what is inside. I hadn't thought about that option. Can you direct me to a parts source, please?

What's the setup there? Looks like far leaner is an anchor, and you're cranking on the left tree that has a line going up, then to the close leaner down it's entire length?
Line shot through the larger tree and base tied on the larger tree that was up rooting. We secured the continuous puller at the base of the smaller tree it was leaning on for a 2:1 tensioning. The line that was to hold the larger tree then went through a crotch on a large poplar (8" plus limb at trunk) and down to the base of the poplar and through a snatch block as a redirect to the puller. A sling was secured just below the redirect in a cow hitch with a 50kn screw link biner holding a prussic of 3/8ths stable braid that held the 14 mm rope (almost 9/16ths) that came from the larger pine. Once the line was secured by the prussic, the tension was let off at the 2:1 and continuous puller. The smaller pine was more helping support the larger as it leaned into it from storm throw as the root wad was failing on the larger. Just bending the smaller pine but not yet snapping it. Just adding the guy to the larger pine took the weight off the smaller preventing a snap and further root wad failure till the storms passed.
OMG you should see the birds nest the young un left him. He also nicked my Teufelberger 14mm. But that was slated for retirement soon anyway and had been used as a winch line for a bit. So no horrible loss there. 50feet off a 250' line. Some peoples kids...
Kid started a tree service some years ago with the help of his mother, a successful realtor here. She called one day asking where to get him insurance and I gave her the information. He has a tendency of pissing folks off and not always doing the work they want as they want it. So his work dried up some. Asked me one day if I needed a climber or if I could refer some work. SO I referred him some work and he pissed that one off. But competitive bidding and all that. He got the job, I did not, and the custy regretted it.
So here again.... :lol:
He approached the HO. I did not refer him. He must have seen us from the road and while "walking his dog" ........
God I love competition. :lol:

Last edited:
Interesting. I will have to open the battery up to see what is inside. I hadn't thought about that option. Can you direct me to a parts source, please?
Most everything with lithium batteries uses 18650 cells. Ideally you would have an idea of how many amps the device needs, and try to get the lowest discharge rate, highest capacity cells if you want maximum run time. Or, to ensure the cells stay cool, and the motor provides maximum output, go for the highest discharge current rated cells, which have just a little less capacity in most cases. The cells should be spot welded in with a special spot welder You'd need the metal strips they use for connecting them. Or use a big simple 200w soldering iron and copper strips of sufficient thickness. Soldering to the batteries can be tricky. You don't want to overheat the cells, but you don't want a cold solder joint. A thick tipped iron helps having enough stored heat to apply solder to the cell in just 2 seconds or less. Then let it cool, and solder on the tinned copper to the solder you applied to the cell.

I read instructions online for building a spotwelder for batteries, but it was more complicated than I wanted to get into for a one or two time job. I ended up just buying a discounted battery pack and modding in the connections I needed.

Most everything with lithium batteries uses 18650 cells. Ideally you would have an idea of how many amps the device needs, and try to get the lowest discharge rate, highest capacity cells if you want maximum run time. Or, to ensure the cells stay cool, and the motor provides maximum output, go for the highest discharge current rated cells, which have just a little less capacity in most cases. The cells should be spot welded in with a special spot welder You'd need the metal strips they use for connecting them. Or use a big simple 200w soldering iron and copper strips of sufficient thickness. Soldering to the batteries can be tricky. You don't want to overheat the cells, but you don't want a cold solder joint. A thick tipped iron helps having enough stored heat to apply solder to the cell in just 2 seconds or less. Then let it cool, and solder on the tinned copper to the solder you applied to the cell.
Thanks.

I will see how the ordered battery works out. Its the same part number, so should fit. If I'm in a pinch, I may look deeper.

Good day on ROW. My pump came in for the mini. Opened it up and found it was damaged during production and painted. Took pictures and our office is gonna deal with it. I’m not overly happy about that. Hopefully another will show up in two days but I doubt it. I did pull the old pump out tonight. I may or may not have invented a few new swear words in the process. Looks like I’m going to hit a record amount of hours this week

I left work early and split wood on the farm. I had taken a new catfood bag in to put my work belt in, and as I was putting the belt in I noticed some paracord hanging off of it where my machete used to be. I figure it fell off on the job yesterday, and I didn't notice. Think about that for a second. I managed to drop a 22" machete+leather sheath, and not notice it was gone, and that included taking my belt off at the end of the day :^S In my defense, my belt's heavy as shit, and I don't usually wear the machete with that one, so dropping it didn't set off any alarms at the time.

I split a load of wood, dropped it off at my house, then went back to the job to look for my machete. There was a bunch of craziness going on at the closer pulloffs, so I drove to very end of the job, and walked the better part of a mile to get where I needed to be. Found the machete surprisingly quick, and walked it back to the truck. Glad I got it back, but I'm pissed at myself for losing it in the first place.

Milled some maple chunks that I cut from a customer's removal as potential candidates for their daughter's wood working project.

They kept other chunks. I have no idea if she used them.

These 2 chunks have been spalding under some fir canopies for about 2 years.

I'll see what comes of these after they dry. 20230207_162426.jpg 20230207_162238.jpg 20230207_162054.jpg 20230207_161713.jpg

After the wettest January in recorded history, we finally had a clear sunny day today.
Even better, the logging team had a man down, so we were asked to go to work felling big Beech after 3 weeks of pre-commercial thinning in rain.
Cheered my logging gal up no end :)

Here she is exploring the outer limit of what a Stig-trained short bar faller can do with a 20" bar.
Her own idea. I told her to grab a bigger saw, but she wanted to try.

20230208_115453.jpg 20230208_115925.jpg 20230208_120421.jpg 20230208_123753.jpg

Last edited:
She has a nice straight back in pic 2 which afaik is good ergonomic form. Is that just happenstance or is it something you folks emphasize

I noticed that too.
It seems that's from the girl's morphology in general. You can see the same thing with bike riders : the boys have mainly a rounded back and the girls a flat back. I have fun to look at it on the road.

I love when I see females dominate aspects (if not all of them) of an otherwise male-dominated profession (any profession). It somehow ends up looking more graceful.

I like seeing it *cause of the 'I can't' attitude of a lot of women. Bullshit. You can do anything if you try. If I can cook, sew, change a diaper, and keep a houseplant alive, you can change the oil.

*Or maybe that's just the impression they want to give cause they don't feel like doing /thing/. I can appreciate not wanting to do something, but appearing incapable is a bad look.

Back