How'd it go today?

Been having a rough go of it, but carrying on. I've been trying to learn about "reeving," which is the manner by which rope or wire is thread through pulleys; usually ones with multiple sheaves, such as with blocks. It's fascinating how one can gain greater mechanical advantage by simply threading the rope in a certain way. I have a pair of double sheave pulleys that I hope to make a video with. I need to hone my skills adding up the mechanical advantage first. Richard Mumford had a pretty helpful video that I watched awhile back. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that you just add up all of the legs and with the final leg, if it's being pulled away from you, you don't add it; if it's being pulled towards you, you add it. I watched this years ago, though, so don't quote me. I recently discovered the joys of "piggyback-ing" on pulley systems so that the actual system doesn't have to extend to the load. "Z-Rigs" are interesting in this regard, too, but manages to accomplish this with only one rope.

EDIT: I think there's supposed to be a 90 degree twist in this system which is hard to show on a table.

Attachments

• 5to1-Piggyback-Pulley-System.jpg
    5to1-Piggyback-Pulley-System.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Yea, mechanical advantage is kinda like magic. It's also kinda confusing to me, especially for the more advanced setups. In a time critical emergency, I don't think I could come up with more than a 3:1 without running out of time.

Went to Optometrist & had eyes checked yesterday. Not a lot of change in the 20 years since I last bought glasses, but enough that I'll see a touch better with a new pair (I don't see badly without them unless reading). Doc said eyes are in good shape for my age. So, that's another thing knocked off the list for causes of headaches, or anything helping trigger or enhance them anyway.

Terrible little go-round in the wee hours this a.m., no way I could have made it to the hospital if I'd wanted to...not sure i could have dialed the phone (kinda had me a bit shaken), but I'm up and can somewhat function again now.

Hope you get your issues sorted soon. Being incapacitated's no fun. I only had that sorta happen once when I had lyme, and I was unsure I'd be able to get myself to the doctor. Wasn't as bad as you, but it was still disturbing.

Yes. I had an episode about a year ago. I was bent over a vehicle seat looking for something for a minute or two. When I stood up I felt lightheaded, which happens. I started walking for the house and had to stop to lean on something so I didn't fall down. Gathered myself and slowly shuffled to the house. No chest or arm or neck or anything else going on. Stayed on couch the rest of the day. Went to doc and he said ehhh, might be an inner ear problem. Really felt like I might pass out or fall down for sure. Hard to nail down problems sometimes.

Yeah, and it's weird dealing with professional people who don;'t seem to care about actually solving a problem in a timely manner. In the world I (and many others here, I'm sure) come from that is many times where success lay.

That's at least 1/2 of what my little efforts like the house inspection and the eye exam are for is to sort of vent my frustration by being able to say I'm doing what I can to at least eliminate some things, as unlikely or small as they may be.

One of the worst things (to me) is that I've had almost 0 physical activity for 3 months now. Less smoking = more nutrition retained from what I consume + eating way more often to keep myriad of constant pills from tearing up stomach has resulted in my belly pushing out my shirt! I don't even want to know how much weight I've gained. I've been within ~15 lbs of the weight I graduated high school at for my entire life until these last couple months.

Last edited:
Went to a friends/coworkers home to look at trees he needs removed. (2) 100’ and (2) 30’ pines on a hill close to home and fence. Debris stays - My specialty!! That job should get underway next month hopefully. I can’t wait to remove a conifer. I’ve only cleaned a few up at this point. Lighter wood, central leader, single top, easier cutting. There is the sap though.

Bucked a large oak blowdown for 5 hours up until dark. I took one leader, Rob took the other. Worked from the tips back. The homeowner wants to split it and burn it in his fireplace but can’t safely put it on the ground or handle larger wood. Had to get the 4Wd to pull some of it down.

Edit: the pole saw was awesome for this kind of work. I could safely cut the tangled, elevated mess from a distance on the ground rather than in spurs and saddle.

Attachments

• AD31D0F0-DE74-40C1-8789-D2D1571376C9.jpeg
    AD31D0F0-DE74-40C1-8789-D2D1571376C9.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • F2C558F8-D4A7-40AE-B7AE-AA1F89A8C44E.jpeg
    F2C558F8-D4A7-40AE-B7AE-AA1F89A8C44E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 513679CC-AE1D-4F1C-8534-82AB75A8840C.jpeg
    513679CC-AE1D-4F1C-8534-82AB75A8840C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 75971BE9-C9E9-4568-B90A-A440A70A1234.jpeg
    75971BE9-C9E9-4568-B90A-A440A70A1234.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 28571BFF-B7A3-4DD4-AD2D-8E9EFC413DC3.jpeg
    28571BFF-B7A3-4DD4-AD2D-8E9EFC413DC3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Went to a friends/coworkers home to look at trees he needs removed. (2) 100’ and (2) 30’ pines on a hill close to home and fence. Debris stays - My specialty!! That job should get underway next month hopefully. I can’t wait to remove a conifer. I’ve only cleaned a few up at this point. Lighter wood, central leader, single top, easier cutting. There is the sap though.

Bucked a large oak blowdown for 5 hours up until dark. I took one leader, Rob took the other. Worked from the tips back. The homeowner wants to split it and burn it in his fireplace but can’t safely put it on the ground or handle larger wood. Had to get the 4Wd to pull some of it down.

Edit: the pole saw was awesome for this kind of work. I could safely cut the tangled, elevated mess from a distance on the ground rather than in spurs and saddle.
Try to keep your gear off fresh green cuts, and not to dance around on your spurs.

Quickly up and down, before it starts to drip, as possible.

A small piece of tubular webbing can be a sap sleeve. Figure what the circumference at topping will be, roughly. A 4" trunk will need a small sleeve, whereas a 10" topping diameter can be bigger.

Well. May have had some success on the diesel yesterday. Got it back together and fired up with the new injector after it got cannibalistic on the injector crush washer and a glow plug end. Sucked what I could out of the cylinder and ran a magnet down in it. Did not find any more debris and ran a bore scope down to take a peek. Could not get a good pic of the cylinder walls, but no hole in piston that I could see. The Injector cup was filthy from the burn getting past the lacking washer. Took a while to muck that out with the brushes I had and some carb cleaner. I think the O rings set "ok". Probably a full cup replacement in my future. But I am going to see how she behaves herself first. Test drive yesterday seemed to clear some of the excess fuel and oil from the exhaust. Going to go for a short ride once I get a break in the sleet rain mix we are getting currently. Crossing my fingers. Baby steps. I have trust issues.

What's she gonna sell? Etsy is pretty cool from a customer standpoint. You can find *unique stuff made by craftsmen as opposed to amazon's collection of junk you can find anywhere. I wish I thought of checking there more often.

*There's also mass produced junk and craftsmen of questionable skill, but there's a lot of cool stuff to see.

Tired and waiting for a flight from Seattle to Medford, OR to work the week at the J Herbert Stone tree nursery. A first for me yesterday was an aborted take off out of Wrangell for a wind shear alarm... definitely attention getting when you are rolling down the runway at 100 knots! We returned to the terminal and had to wait over 7 hours for mechanics to arrive and approve the plane to resume to service. Got into Seattle around 2 am and got connections figured out. Fingers crossed everything goes as planned here on out.

PS, mechanics had to be flown in from Seattle.

Last edited:
Back