How'd it go today?

House must not have been green😉 And 2000 pounds of rigging is nuts. I understand why they have you follow him around.
What’s the winch rated for ( line pull)?

11,240, we were twp-parted. It's 16mm/5/8". House is all cedar. Pannelized construction. They were competing with Sears. Built in 1934, I think. The spreader bars are 600 each, plus the load block.

Today we them portuguese endured the 2nd day of heavy rain pruning some olives and oaks and almonds.
Then was lunch time...I was so wet...first time in life that I actually needed to go home, like 7 minutes drive from worksite, back to work.
Chipping, then spreading it around trees, clear all site, cashed, went home.
Realized by then that clothes and boots from day 1 are still wet, now today 2 trousers plus 2 boots are soaked...
Result holiday till monday.
That is what you think... cosy around fire with port wine.
Nope, get to finish all the started projects at home.
I just love this life.

You will sleep well tonight he be exhausted tomorrow still!

Did 9 reduction prunes on some type of columnar maples this morning. One of those instances where someone sold the wrong trees for the spot. I opted to drop crotch prune rather than just shear them off and turn them into giant bushes. Wish I took some before and after photos. They really turned out nice and the maintenance guy was satisfied. Then off to a rather large (prune all trees on property) job. Mostly climbing but a few bucket trees. Hoping for help on it tomorrow afternoon or Friday. It’s a lot for two guys to handle. Have to go remove a lightning struck cherry in the morning though. No access for big equipment. Even the mini might not be manageable to get in. Could be a work out for the arbor trolley and all of us.

Giving the crane a few days off. Trying to figure out this fancy automatic with clutch transmission issue. Starting to slip from 5-10. I’ve been shifting it manually for the last couple weeks to limit the slipping but it ain’t getting better on its own. Hoping that the mechanic has found the clutch adjustment procedure by now. If not we’re hunting down an authorized Eaton fuller shop.

Last edited:
Yes it is. I’m not a fan. I think it should wait a few hundred more rpm’s before it shifts on its own. And in manual mode it likes to skip a gear now and then going up. Down shifting in auto seems to late and it won’t downshift manually till the rpm’s are to low in my opinion. Damn smart computers.

I drove a Volvo dump truck with it, and I almost left it on the side of the road and walked home. Stupidest transmission I've ever driven, and I've driven 18sp quad boxes. The new Ford 10 speed isn't impressing me much, either.

Yes it is. I’m not a fan. I think it should wait a few hundred more rpm’s before it shifts on its own. And in manual mode it likes to skip a gear now and then going up. Down shifting in auto seems to late and it won’t downshift manually till the rpm’s are to low in my opinion. Damn smart computers.
I've noticed the few automatic truck transmissions I've driven don't down shift how I like. I don't know if it is anything like what your transmission is doing, but the volvo car I drive slips a lot in at least 3-5. Shifting into 3 manually will lock it in sooner and keep it there, but even manually in 4 & 5 slips a lot especially in 4. I assume it is a programming issue unless that system is controlled machanically. I assume a programmer might be able to change how it performs. My theory as to why it slips is to let the engine rev higher so it can make more power, but the problem is much power is wasted in the slipping. Of course a car transmission is way different. I don't know if it is torque converter slipping or clutch slipping. I'd like to learn more on how they work. I have learned what I can do to lock it in 5th sooner, and keep it there, or maybe the transmission has learned me too since I think the volvo transmissions are supposed to learn a person's driving style. It does have an odd quirk where if the car looses speed under power (going up hill) 5th will start to slip at 46 or 47mph, but staying light on the gas pedal and not reacting will let it lock in again.

Back