How'd it go today?

No idea, John. Custy already made it dicey by trying to girdle it from the bottom, which only killed off half the limbs. About 18" DBH, and easily 26" at the base. Each of the stems was easily 12" diameter all the way up where I dumped the tops, so fairly stout. The custy counted the rings; only 39.

Last edited:
Boy, did I have an interesting call from the city! They have a stump growing/grew under a sidewalk and driveway but over a four inch 40 psi gas main. So they are having the utility company air excavate and place clamps before grinding. Here’s the kicker locate says the line is 30”s down ten feet either side of the stump but jumps up to 15”s over the stump and I need to go at least that to correct the grade. Which happens to be under a sidewalk and driveway that they are replacing but want the grade even in the next parkway/ easement. Well shit! It should be interesting but a two month political nightmare before I hear anything. It’s not a huge stump or flair by itself just hairy. Plus they will have their big leaf vac to suck out the hole as I grind. Like buddah! Silver with 25% rotten core at six inches above grade. I am thinking mostly rot below given the extent of the rot.

Make sure they blow it down after they kill it, the plastic will grind great :lol:
You son of a bitch! Lol, that really made me laugh. I am thinking/hoping/praying they can snuff the line before my stumper motor runs away on me. That line isn’t small it feeds the whole neighborhood and half the business down town. I’m thinking hazard pay.

Been here a long time.

Still don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Boy, did I have an interesting call from the city! They have a stump growing/grew under a sidewalk and driveway but over a four inch 40 psi gas main. So they are having the utility company air excavate and place clamps before grinding. Here’s the kicker locate says the line is 30”s down ten feet either side of the stump but jumps up to 15”s over the stump and I need to go at least that to correct the grade. Which happens to be under a sidewalk and driveway that they are replacing but want the grade even in the next parkway/ easement. Well shit! It should be interesting but a two month political nightmare before I hear anything. It’s not a huge stump or flair by itself just hairy. Plus they will have their big leaf vac to suck out the hole as I grind. Like buddah! Silver with 25% rotten core at six inches above grade. I am thinking mostly rot below given the extent of the rot.

Not your fault.

Jim you may not know this but you are our sane connection to the outside world. Most all of us just eat, sleep, and breath everything tree.
I have been meaning to send you some pics, that I still have to take, of south eastern Wisco farm land. It’s just been planted so maybe in a few weeks when the crops come up.

Wyoming or Montana. I forget. But we are talking some serious land holdings. Just this little slice of heaven I fish at is a million dollar property. They were going to retire here. So all the rentals and So cal holdings are being sold. Everything. California has become hostile in every aspect of trying to afford to live here. Just insurance companies canceling insurance or making it just plain not affordable is driving people out. Taxes, fuel prices, political climate. This state is frigged. Losing some really good folks.

We are more than 1/2 way through our mortgage and tell me where I can find a new mortgage for under 1000.. per mo with some land around it. This is a real estate bubble again. It will eventually burst. A little more fence and a couple more shelters and this is a horse property with two houses on it.

Back