How'd it go today?

A little landscape work at home today. Got the mulching kit for our riding mower, took about 5 min to change the blades with an impact gun, and swap the chute for the plug. Also cleaned up the deck with compressed air, knocked off some rust with a wire wheel on a die grinder, and rattle canned a little machinery dark gray paint on it, that matches surprisingly well. Yard looks better than with the side discharge mess.
Then some fabric, border, red mulch, and a few hastas planted around the pool. Supposedly hastas do well if splashed with chlorinated pool water… we’ll see about the algaecide I sometimes use.
Got a little more vacuuming in the pool, and the kids will be happy. I’ll check the temp around mid July for myself. I’m still learning about pool care. Come September when we close it, I’ll have to learn how to change the sand I think.

Also last year we had some nice wood patio furniture built, and we stained it when it was new. Now we’re arranging that furniture around the fire pit, and in an attempt to keep the feet from rotting in the grass and soil, we taped each foot about 3” from the bottom and sprayed a few coats of black plasti-dip on them. Should seal them up nicely.

Got a big pile of spruce branches in the back of the pickup, might burn them tonight.

Removed four storm uprooted trees from a house this morning. Nothing major. A few holes in the roof but minor damage. Now another storm damage job. Half a good sized lead broke and is resting nicely over a fence while the other half is being rigged as I type. One of the other climbers asked if he could do it. I’m regretting allowing it. He’s a tad on the slow side setting this up. Oh well, he’s gotta learn sometime. If just like to get home before dark

Finally a lot better from the COVID and catching up on threads. Getting another lung ct tomorrow to check on the pneumonia. Hopefully no long term damage and I’ll work again on Monday. Still not 100% Trying to balance rest with movement to regain some strength. I don’t want to jack up my lungs but I don’t want to be horizontal in the lazyboy either. I don’t know when I’ll be able to get back into a tree. Have a few jobs on hold until we see how this plays out.

I finished the shaving of the bomboo patch today. It isn't especially fun to deal with that and the brambles all around, but then, add all sort of trash spreaded in the garden like Stephen just showed. Concrete blocks in piles or alone, same with roof tiles, stones, steel things and various other construction leftovers, canvas sheets and steel sheets (layed down in an attempt to mitigate the spread of the bamboo; revelation, the bamboo was only marginally bothered).
I found a bottles rack in steel before the chainsaw did, for once. I made a lot of sparks these three days. Three chains trashed, well used so it's a small loss. To end this job on a great note, i cut two clumps of hazel growing out of the bottom of the house's stone wall. Ms150T and 201T abused, sparks fest and fine wood dust ! Now, I don't have any regret to put the chains in the trash can. :laughing6:

Last edited:
Well today came and went. On our way to poison oak trash pile in the rocks and the truck backfired and stopped running. Right in front of the shop coming by from the house thank the gods. Rob pulled me into the shop drive and I got to work on it. Called the client and just said I would see them tomorrow if all went well. The old Ford wiring harness was giving me fits so I planned ahead and bought a Chevy style set up and the off set air cleaner for when I could get to it. This time it was the bearing on the distributor shaft. Thing started rubbing inside. I dug in and got it installed and the timing set by 11AM. Called Levi to bring his truck over so I could fix his ground issue on his. Had the parts on the shelf for that. Just as I was finishing up, my crane op texted me he was running early. We had planned for him to make a quick pick on the spar of cypress I had left up the street. He said he "might" be able to meet me there after 2:30. About the time I pick Lilly up from school. He was working near the school and I would meet him there and have him follow me so I could drive him up before he brought the rig up. Kind of tight drive and set up. Now he was headed our way about 12-12:30. Might just get it done before I have to pick up Lilly. Had Rob bring his truck in case I sent him for her. I do the invoicing and such and the custy lovvvvvvvves to talk. Two fiddy later, one pick floats into the bucking zone next to the fire wood pile. Pay the crane and buck it up. Sent Rob since it was too close for comfort to pick up Lilly by 2:30. Got paid. Scheduled some more work. Finished bucking the wood. Headed to town to fill up fuel for tomorrow. Whew! Time to cook dinner.

Spent Monday and yesterday morning arguing with insurance agent for personal vehicles. We changed companies on the house/personal vehicles, and the stupid computer program at the company pulled an Asian faux pas with my name mid-process (I have been called "Brain" by so many Asians since I started IT, I just laugh at it when it happens). This time, the computer started generating emails and quotes spelled correctly, but the back end system generating the policy and such somehow spell-checked it and "Brained" me. While I appreciate the intelligent reference (and the agent was Asian, none the less), she went ahead and cancelled the policy to correct it, then stated I would have to give my credit card info again, as there was no way other than a mailed check for a refund on the first transaction. I told her to hold on, I'm not waiting the standard 4-8 weeks for a check to arrive due to their system FU, so let's talk to the back end people in the morning (as I didn't need an extra $1400 charged to my card a day before the statement period closed). She was able to have back end folks finagle the original policy back up and correct my name, so that worked out okay. Then got a call from daughter's classmate's parents about a tree hanging on lines from weekend storm. Went over, looked at it and lots of other work, which they all agreed to. Grabbed PT brush monkey for afternoon, wrestled hanging ash on utility lines (thankfully, no power), and also dropped 6 other dead ash/cedars along the driveway. All thin buggers, so just laid them aside, took pickup over to mechanics to pick up chip truck (bill was way less than expected; YAYYY!!!), brought back and dumped Sunday's fun in the lot. Went back to custy's house, loaded truck (was a skinny ass, uphill driveway with lousy access on a major traffic road; so no desire to try and back truck/chipper into it during rush hour). We got it all loaded up, custy threw in one more tree, and gave an extra $200 for the effort. We headed back to yard to chip until just about dark. Profitable day, all things considered.

Last edited:
Boss had a dr appt, so I did some deadwooding on the office pin oak. Went pretty well aside from the hassle of getting cut wood out of the tree. Had a fairly long limb walk(for me); ~20', and a couple 'upright' climbs that took a little thinking for me.

There's still a dead branch over the kid's trampoline(!), but the trampoline was there, and I'm not entirely sure how I'll get to it. I also left one by my TIP, cause I couldn't quite get to it. I could get myself wedged in a fork, but facing the stem. Needed to be turned 180°. I just quit on it. Visions of being tangled in my line hanging upside down weren't appealing. There may have been a way to utilize my tail, but I wasn't looking from that angle. I never think to do that. I always think 'one line per tie in', and sometimes take a short line up with me(didn't this time). Using the rope I already have doesn't cross my mind. I need to correct that.

Waiting on the boss, and we'll go do my real job.

Got rid of a dwarf spruce at home that was maybe 12 foot tall and blocking most of a window. My goofy little Toro stump grinder with a 13HP Honda did really well, I like that machine.
My old Stihl 200T won’t stay running unless I keep the throttle pressed a little. Needs new AV buffers too.

Do you know whether or not you had COVID, Sean?

I am going to be surprised if not. I am waiting on my PCR test. My at-home tests were negative.

I'm treating it like I am, as far as staying at a distance from my friends/ neighbors.

All customers I ask to stay a long way away.

One customer wants to wait for PCR negative, as his wife is immunocompromised.

Didn't do much today. Did some paperwork in the office, then split some of the oak limbs I dropped for the boss' daughter. I did what I could with the axe, but didn't feel like getting the maul/wedges out. Pretty yucky today. Warm, humid, and off/on rain.

Multi-day catch up:

Wednesday: Had both PT brush monkeys, so we dropped the 85+' white pine from last work pic posting. Brush monkeys got some pics and a vid, which I'll post once I transfer over from phone. Tree was 34" DBH, and stayed that way up to about 40'. Spar that was dropped was about 55'. Filled the entire dump trailer (about 8+ yards) with wood, with 8 pieces left for next day. Drove back to yard and parked everything for next day.

Thursday: Had my son, and he went with me to dump, and retrieve the final wood/Dingo. Also had to deal with chipper malfunction, as one of the pins for rotating the feed wheel had it's retention bolt snap off, so it popped out, leaving the feed wheel off kilter. Thankfully happened at the end of the chip session, and my old truck mechanic/welder was able to remedy in about an hour for a reasonable amount of cash. Then went and dumped again, cleaned saws and then went and did 3 estimates, all of which I got okay on proceeding. A good 4 days work, so can't complain there. Finished off the evening having dinner with a friend who owed me one, and we finished with scotch and good conversation.

Today: Son and I again starting late morning (I got home late last night). Polished off a 40' dead Green Ash, stump grind to be done later; friend/repeat customer who paid up front. Followed it up with a climb and bomb ~65' , twin stemmed sumac/weed. Tree was in a tight position next to building and no real place to drop. Spiked up larger stem, taking all limbs off on the way up, flopped both tops, than straddled both stems as I flopped 4-6' pieces of each into 15'x15' drop area below. Climbed to ~45', and had the whiole tree on the ground in 55 mins, with a 10' stem piece that looked like a tuning fork. Paid on that one as well. Nothing but thunderstorms in the forecast until Sunday, so I'm taking some R&R.

Back