How'd it go today?

Her humor through it all was admirable. This is an example of a post during the on going shit storm she went through.

Copy pasta

Me, preparing to switch to another hail Mary "scorched earth" chemo instead of the targeted treatment I've been taking. Also me, looking up fun details about having a giant needle inserted into my pleural cavity tomorrow to drain a possibly-undrainable loculated pleural effusion. Also me, delighted that the Oxy and muscle relaxers are actually helping take the edge off this time.
FB_IMG_1624420755403.jpg

Dragged a locust post out of the woods at work today. Kinda hard work. I was gonna give the boss first option on it, but it had a little rot on one end. It would probably be fine, but if you're gonna go through the effort of driving posts, you should start with first quality material.

Got it home and ripped it to make rustic benches. Used my cs400. I love that little saw. I always forget how much I like it til I start it up. I do wish it had the aluminum front handlebar. I think that's the way they used to be made, but mine's plastic. That would be fine, but it has a fair amount of flex, and when I'm wearing gloves, I end up triggering the chainbrake, especially when my wrist is closer to 90° from the bar.

My week started out XTRA shitty. My good-headed kid from the firehouse decided he wanted to go in a different direction and gave me 9 hrs. notice Sunday night via text message (after I'd gone to sleep, no less). Screwed finishing up the job Monday, and now have to put a bunch of work on hold again until I find/train newbies. I read him the riot act after fire drill tonight. So stuck looking for new help again (seems like always), and will have to figure out which jobs I can do by myself for a while. Hope to be having a new kid (friend of my son) start Monday, so there's hope there.

Last job of the day had a couple dead locusts, and I cut them for the boss to use as fenceposts. I used my 2511, and it got a workout. They were about 10" at the cut. My first one I royally dicked up the backcut, and didn't have enough to wedge it over. I started boring the hinge with the intention of sticking a wedge through the middle, and it went over before I finished the bore. Second one I got hung up in a maple, and had to walk it down. Got four good posts. They were ~50yr old by my hasty count. A little strange they were in the middle of the woods, but I guess that's pretty close to when it was abandoned as farm field. None of the trees were exceptionally old. I'll try to cut the remainder for firewood as the job progresses.

Boss' brother cut his thumb off today. He said he didn't think they'd be able to reattach it. He didn't know how, but some kind of woodworking tool I'm sure. I'll stick with my chainsaws. They worry me less than a lot of the inside alternatives, as long as you aren't this guy...

Screenshot_20210624_144917.png

:^P

Easy day running estimates. Yesterday was a bitch though. Storm job I looked at, bid through the roof, and got because we were the only company to submit a bid. Had three lines securing the top half of a white oak laying on the house and multiple limbs secured that were hanging. I hooked three large limbs together and ended up catching my foot in the line while cutting the second one. Last one tore loose and I was pinned with an estimated 1200#’s across my foot. Couldn’t get free and when I felt the urge to puke I thought to myself “ I’ll be on vacation next week at Virginia Beach with a F-ing cast on my foot. Piss on that”. Cut the brand new bull rope. No damage done. They all landed and braced against the major issue. I retied the rope and the ground crew was able to cut and lower without any damage. Rest of the job is put off till after I return from vacation. I leave Sunday. Mad as hell at myself for the dumb mistake. Guys all got a laugh though. I hollered out “no more roping for Nate” while I was feeling the urge to puke from the pain. Roof and pool was cleared with out any more damage. Homeowner and neighbors were all impressed. I’m just waiting for Saturday afternoon. I’ll be asleep very early amd then leaving veeeery early Sunday morning to relax for a week. Meeting up with Steve Connaly and Elizabeth Anne while I’m in the area. I have to get a cut in on Steve’s new mek. Taking my helmet and using his gear I hope.

Back