How'd it go today?

Brought some ash home from work today. It's been so wet, my wood transferred to the porch isn't dry enough. I'm thinking the ash will be a lot better.

My cold weather combat boot soles are disintegrating. Gonna have to retire them, but I'm gonna see if they can be resoled, and at what cost. I like them a lot, and there's still plenty of life aside from the soles. I was gonna do some quick stitches on a pair of gortex combat boots that have a blown seam, and ~5% life left in them. They're too beat to spend the time, so I put a bunch of decaying ShoeGoo in the seam, and clamped it. Hoping it'll be good enough, but there was a bunch of dirt in them too. Not very optimistic regarding success, especially since I'll be wearing them tomorrow. We'll see. I have plenty of unlined boots I can put into service, but even iffy gortex is better than none at all.

I've always wanted to learn to resole and repair boots, i know it's possible and they sell the supplies online.

After days of procrastination, waiting for the ice to melt and fall from the trees, i finally finished the limb on the house. I had gone up a couple days ago and cut the top of it off, and noticed the zero damage to the roof (yay). Since i start round 5 at 1230 today, i figured i should finally finish it lol. Backhoe wasn't cooperating (likely solenoid that was going out), so i decided to go with the homemade grcs. I'm trying to think of something else that I've made that has bailed me out so many times, and I'm hard pressed to think of one. Think it took about 30 min to rig everything, and maybe 5 to lift, swing, and lower :lol:

20210108_083406.jpg 20210108_084922.jpg 20210108_084924.jpg 20210108_084933.jpg

Hell, didn't even have to fire up a saw :lol: just do it little by little, very deliberate steps. I just get tired easy, and I'll have to fight through that for awhile if i beat this crap. Doing a little breakfast break, gotta watch the kids while the wife hits a couple stores (might be me), then the drs, then haul a quick load of water to call it a day. Check in for the hospital is at 8 am tomorrow for 6 days or so.

Got some bad news today. Was talking to the dirt foreman, and he said *all* the wetlands/buffers need to be laid out on that job. I'll have to talk to the project manager to see if that's correct, cause as stupid as the stuff I already did is, some of it's Trump level retarded. There's no construction anywhere around. Shit's getting old. I feel like I'm constantly at the mercy of morons...

Got home from work, and moved a little wood on the porch to make room for my ash. I was at the second from bottom level, picked up a piece of wood, and heard some hissing/screeching. Figured "insect", and took the piece of wood to the new stack. The noise kept going, so I looked a little closer, and saw this guy...

IMG_20210108_150931.jpg

It looked like he making some kind of threat display(do bats do that?). I got his piece of wood back, and covered him up again. I guess those two pieces of cherry will be there in the spring. I'll see if he's moved out then :^D

edit:
forgot... My boot repair held up great. I didn't think it would work since nothing was good(dirty leather, old ShoeGoo, short cure time...), but it held up, even with significant force on the repair. Very pleased with the results.

Last edited:
09, great job, hat's off to you, well done.

What knot is tied to the clevis?

Got some bad news today. Was talking to the dirt foreman, and he said *all* the wetlands/buffers need to be laid out on that job. I'll have to talk to the project manager to see if that's correct, cause as stupid as the stuff I already did is, some of it's Trump level retarded. There's no construction anywhere around. Shit's getting old. I feel like I'm constantly at the mercy of morons...

Got home from work, and moved a little wood on the porch to make room for my ash. I was at the second from bottom level, picked up a piece of wood, and heard some hissing/screeching. Figured "insect", and took the piece of wood to the new stack. The noise kept going, so I looked a little closer, and saw this guy...

View attachment 106544

It looked like he making some kind of threat display(do bats do that?). I got his piece of wood back, and covered him up again. I guess those two pieces of cherry will be there in the spring. I'll see if he's moved out then :^D

edit:
forgot... My boot repair held up great. I didn't think it would work since nothing was good(dirty leather, old ShoeGoo, short cure time...), but it held up, even with significant force on the repair. Very pleased with the results.
i missed the context of the first part of your story, what is the job?

I think you meant "when".

Eh, i mean if. It's looking like I'm going to have partial response from chemo, and then hopefully radiation can get me to a complete remission. Then hopefully no relapse, but i have bulky disease that didn't achieve complete remission, so yeah. It was 50/50 before for no remission, those odds have gotten worse. If i relapse I'm looking at maybe 30 to 40 percent at best, and that's if the stem cell thing works. If that fails it's clinical trials or car t, and/or palliative care. It is what it is, i can't control that, all i can do is pray and keep living until then.

Cory, it's an alpine butterfly, terminating a line that has a block on the end of it (remotely set block for the pick since it was light). If I'm doing a midline knot, it's likely an apline butterfly, very easy to tie/untie and it's bomber. I then used the homemade portawrap for the butt. Everything was set from the ground of course.

An AB, that's what I figured. What method do you prefer for tying it, of the 3 or so that are out there?

I personally like the make 3 loops, then the one closest to you goes over the others, then the next one over and through. I learned that way first and it's a common technique for different knots that i use on occasion, and it's hard to mess up lol. I can do the twist way too, but i learned that way first so i tend to stick to that.

It's a construction job, and the state engineer wants the wetlands and wetland buffers laid out. There's no reason for it, cause I already laid out the limit of disturbance, and they're authorized to disturb the ground within the LOD, following the plan's erosion and sediment control of course. Wetlands that fall within the LOD are handled by the plans, and outside the LOD is irrelevant because they aren't permitted out there. It's pointless work, and a huge PITA, cause the worst ground is in the wetlands. Thick vines, swampy ground, and overgrowth of all kinds.

I have very little patience for bullshit, and all the dumb crap has been increasing the last bunch of years. Really takes the fun out of the work. Instead of making America great, I'm doing stupid shit to check a box off on some form. I'm almost at the point I could retire, though it would be exceptionally lean at this point. Still might be worth it, but I already decided I was gonna finish when my boss finishes. No one knows this, except you all I guess, but I'm sticking with it I think. I'm virtually irreplaceable, and he'd be royally screwed if I left, and I don't like screwing people who don't deserve it.

Cory, it's an alpine butterfly, terminating a line that has a block on the end of it (remotely set block for the pick since it was light). If I'm doing a midline knot, it's likely an apline butterfly, very easy to tie/untie and it's bomber. I then used the homemade portawrap for the butt. Everything was set from the ground of course.

Kyle...that sounds like how I tie the AB...as I tie it I find myself saying, "over, under, around and through"...kinda like a Pall Mall (why is that pronounced pale mell??)

I used to do the twist, but I saw Ben do the three loops in a video he posted, and I like that. It's just easier, though the twist might be better if you need an exceptionally long loop or something.

I found a kitty in my wood pile this morning. I think it's name is Bob because it had a half length tail. Probably a half year old or less.

Never seen a wildcat. We have some, but very few. They only make an appearance every so often.

Back