How'd it go today?

Helping a buddy out that happens to be your boss out is way cool, just make sure it's a 2 way street. Aka be drinking his beer, eating his food, him help you on occasion, him paying you when you gotta go to the dr or something, etc.

John, if you aren't drinking his beer while you are working, you are on the clock.
I seem to remember drinking beer on the clock summer '82 but that was a union carpenter job (common place back then with the crew I worked with in NYC)...oh dear...just a trip down memory lane, carry on!

Back in the 70's I had a truck and used to cart into a brewery, free bar all day and cheap canteen. Have a beer or two while waiting to unload, workers there would just pop in have one and go back to work.

Big union problems here about then, worker demands went overboard. Bar closed, they put on contractors, end of an era.

Mowed some grass today, I don't mind doing my own but screw that for a job.

Clearcutting ash in fairly high wind and driving snow, sleet and once rain..............Fun as well.

As usual in a clearcut on a windy day, we both started by making a hole on the stand, so we could fell with the wind in our backs.
Saves a lot of wedging.
Around noon the wind changed direction almost 180 degrees, so I cut a hole somewhere else and started falling in the opposite direction.

Heard a lot of wedging from where the apprentice worked and wondered if he'd eventually wise up.

Nope, not till the end of the day, when he hiked out past me and saw I had changed direction, that made him feel pretty stupid, I could tell.

Sometimes it is good for them to figure things out on their own:lol:

I don't like to hang out under glass ceilings during wind storms.

No injuries, minor damage...broken homemade skylight on a small cabin.

A doug-fir tipped out of the woods.

Attachments

• 20210113_113554.jpg
    20210113_113554.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Not how to check your oil.

Damn rental lift ran out of batteries (AGAIN) 2 hours into the TD. The one time I forget to throw my ext cord in the truck. Called them pissed off again. Must be nice to be yhe only game with in 1 hour of me. Got it down to a spar though after a 1 hour charge aftrr sending a guy to the hardware store.

That sucks Stephen. Does the rental company do anything for you money wise when their stuff doesn't work? I can go look at a tree for free. I don't need a inoperable lift for that.

Did a small honey locust removal for one of the crews this morning. It was easy peasy. I questioned why I was there from the get go. The. The crew leader noticed I was packing my gear up and said what about what I can’t reach with the bucket on this oak prune? I said either figure out how to position the truck or put your gear on. You were hired as a climber / bucket operator. I left he called the boss. Boss sent his 18 year old nephew over and the kid blew it out. I went on to another job and wasted most of two large pin oak removals. I’ll be there most of the day tomorrow just because the wood is so big and mini skids are the only option to get the wood out for the grapple truck to pick up.
Also got a text from my local arb store that almost all of our order is now in. I’ll be picking that up tomorrow or Friday. Hopefully my new arborwear hoodies will show up by then.
Basically it was a good day. It will be even better after they draw my numbers for the powerball tonight.

You were hired as a climber / bucket operator. I left he called the boss. Boss sent his 18 year old nephew over and the kid blew it out.
Is the guy inexperienced? I'd consider calling someone to rescue me a huge failure. That's almost last on my list. The only alternative after that is doing whatever anyway, and costing someone a lot of money by screwing it up.

That sucks Stephen. Does the rental company do anything for you money wise when their stuff doesn't work? I can go look at a tree for free. I don't need a inoperable lift for that.
Yeah, 1/2 day instead of full. Should have had the job done today, but too much delay.

Ugly little piggy.
I guess she got a good price on the crown raise? :|:
Until shit started failing.
Was tight getting it in there. Mini pushed it in.
Love the rail bridge. Little tight crossing over with iron. 20210113_095212.jpg 20210113_095229.jpg 20210113_095246.jpg 20210113_095319.jpg 20210113_095428.jpg 20210113_140322.jpg 20210113_140400.jpg

retaining wall collaspe.....got four helicopters at once.....shit show

got my youngest IV......5 weeks old.

forgot to eat drink or piss today

Dang, John...real world crazy shit there...4 critical patients, one after another? Sounds like a MASH episode. Crush injuries, fractures, hypoxia?

IV for a 5 week old....wow! That's gettin' jiggy.

Remember all too well those days and nights, ICU too busy to stop for ‘anything’... don’t miss them and likely couldn’t do it now...

retaining wall collaspe.....got four helicopters at once.....shit show
got my youngest IV......5 weeks old.
forgot to eat drink or piss today

How does the forest hold up to this style of harvesting? How sustainable?

How is your country powered? How energy- conserving is the culture?

Here, the soil sounds to be getting depleted, with clear cut logging, high erosion in steep areas, seems to be having increasing root diseases, and decreased yield.

I tell the girls that conserving energy saves nature...I feel like a human Deluminator (Harry Potter reference) around the house.

More energy demand means more impact in every way.

Back