How'd it go today?

That's a dried up stalk of Indian Celery. I'm not sure of it's Latin name off hand.

Heracleum.

Same family as Giant hogsweed.
I though it looked a bit scrawny, but figured that could be from growing so far North.

Some people have really bad skin reactions to it here when they weed wack it and get the plant juices on their skin. I've never had a problem but I'm careful when I cut it up.

Surprises me a bit to hear you talk about reduction, I thought that was frowned upon Stateside.

Totally agree with you, it would indeed be a severe reduction which I would basically never recommend , but given that it was my tree rather than a customer's, and given the results I've seen to date with my neighbors sugar maple mentioned above that was effectively severely reduced, I would've/should've done it.

Totally agree with you, it would indeed be a severe reduction which I would basically never recommend , but given that it was my tree rather than a customer's, and given the results I've seen to date with my neighbors sugar maple mentioned above that was effectively severely reduced, I would've/should've done it.
all depends on what you mean by severe.

I take as much of as each limb needs, which is normally nothing for the top. it's the long overextended lower horizontal and near horizontal limbs that need the severe reduction.

so you can take 50 percent or more a large limb or 4 without doing any significant harm to the overall trees health

Re the shop vac, it seems to me that this sort of vac needs a paper bag to collect the dust and debris. It's folded like a C inside the can. The big cylindrical filter in the center is here only to finish the cleaning, but not intended to catch the bulk. The paper bag sucks though.

Had suet cakes left over from last year, so I put one out for the birds. I try to save them for the worst of winter when food's scarce. If there's bugs to eat, I prefer they eat bugs, but it's looking like it'll be another winterless year. Only had a squirrel eating it so far. They're too cute to get too mad, and I like being able to watch it up close(<6' away), but I'm sure he already has a bunch of food stored, and the birds could use it more. I wish it would get cold. Cloudy and rain is ok, but I'd like to have some snow. Just hanging around the house...

That's not a bad looker. I've used the frame of a lacrosse net once to buld a protective barrier. It worked well, but yours looks mighty light and easy. Can you fill us in on construction, height etc.

thanks...
Total length is 10'6" 44" high and the pannels are 41 1/2" wide. It's just some 1" black pipe welded together. At a guess 45-50 lbs. The mesh is shade tarp folded and zip tied in. I left it a little long on the botom as a skirt. When welding it up I left 5" legs so you can stab it into tje ground. The hinges are just plain steel door hinges. I had to weld two hinges opposite one another so it would fold flat. It's all one unit but it works.

That was accumulation of old 1950s era fiberglass insulation from the knee-wall attic where I am sealing and upgrading the insulation.

Maybe check your chainsaw filters too? And the bucket truck filter. How many of you frequently check the bucket truck air filter? You know all the saw dust falls on it.

At least, it seems that he hit the head of the safety rail on the other side of the road (in the back ground, maybe 200-300' away, where are two firemen and a car). Look the damage on the back door.
It could be the bumper of a truck though.

Wading through some stuff.

Probably go deal with a few hazard trees tomorrow, and the beginning of fruit tree pruning season (along with everything else-season).

Had some windy weather last night...three large widowmakers left suspended in other branches of a Doug fir just behind the house.

Throwbag job...pulling up a running bowline after the normal isolation magic tricks :D. Got them all in relatively short order. Life is good :).
When the trees struck again The Man was ready, fad to black
fade in: The Man with sledge hammer beating up the basement floor to reveal hidden steamer trunk. fade to black.
fade in with haze affect: Steamer trunk open but no contents shown. The Man grabs something but unseen by the audience. next scene The Man assembling a Big Shot with only a quarter shot of face and a smug grin half face shot. fade to black
Next scene, The Man leaning out of second story window with Big Shot cocked and loaded ready to fire. Next scene, Trigger release, throw bag flying. fade to black. Next scene, The man standing over the limb that threatened his beloved Jag once again. Crack can of Dinty Moore warmed over the wood stove top plate.
Roll credits.

Back