How'd it go today?

I cut a big siberian elm as you guys called it with a new oregon full skip chain, and had no problems. It was slow and dry running it with a stock 2188 (390xp). That wood is a lot like silver maple. I also cut a hackberry, but I used a new Stihl square ground full skip with a muffler mod, and double the oil output (oil pump mod), and it did excellent. Hackberry isn't as bad as sugar maple, but it is a hardwood.

That sucks @cory, i dunno what's going on there. Must just be super hard wood. I didn't think about lack of oil because my dolmar all but sprays it, but good idea Brian, makes sense.

Started a good size silver maple tonight after work, did some easy free fall stuff so when i get the lift for tomorrow there's that much less to do. New solar panels on roof and lots of rigging, so I'm renting an easy button :lol: Got at least a quarter of it done and chipped up, so hopefully tomorrow will go well. On green wood the chipper does every bit of 6", so thanks again everyone who got me dialed in there :D.

All good info and Questions, I'll report back when I get more info. Yes, I was aware of potential oiling issues with the long bar, bottom line is oiling seemed to be no factor

I mean I guess that's the last thing to be examined. But it really has very few hours on it. But now I'm kinda disgusted with that long bar and a bit intrigued too, I may try to cut some smaller stuff, maybe oak with it, see how it does. I hate that long bar. Takes like 15 minutes to install.

Are you fighting gravity?

You would be amazed at how adept the human eye is to seeing if something is straight or not. When i was doing landscaping you tried as hard as you could to never ever do a straight line on anything because of that.

All good info and Questions, I'll report back when I get more info. Yes, I was aware of potential oiling issues with the long bar, bottom line is oiling seemed to be no factor

Cory, have you flipped the bar over? Maybe due to lack of oiling the bar has been damaged on the bottom rail.

Happened with one of my large bars. Only 32 “, so not a Monster. The rails splayed open ever so lightly meaning the edge of the bar prevented the chain from biting.

Do you get any real money for them, or is it just as a cover crop, and you're minimizing losses?

Went to walmart to get cat food, and a door woman follows me in and asks me how long my knives are.

Me: I have no idea
Her: You can't bring them in here
Me: I have for the last four years...
Her: I can get a manager
Me: Fine...
Me: Standing there with my thumb up my ass for 5-10 minutes

Eventually, the report comes back. The manager says it's fine

Her: Thank you for waiting, or some kind of nonsense
Me: Yea, as I walk away

Irritating... I pretty much only go there for cat food and motor oil. I should start sucking it up, and just patronize locally owned places, price be damned. They aren't even particularly cheap for food, which I sometimes get as an addon to my cat food order. The only thing good about that place is it's close to my house...

Back