How'd it go today?

I don't think so. Could it be the wood you're cutting with big saws? Maybe they get pulled out for the gnarly stuff, so they dull quicker.

Yes I was thinking I wouldn't be having this trouble in white pine. And sugar maple is aka rock maple, for good reason. And I had no choice but to cut right through some ridiculously huge collars/knobs/knots. Smh. A most unpleasant experience.

Interesting. I do not share that experience. I do know that burying a longer bar can require more pressure to advance the cut because the tip has more leverage as it tries to climb back out of the cut. You are using full skip too right? I could see too many teeth slowing down a bar that long. I definitely use full skip by 28" and longer if I'm concerned about cutting fast.

Also cutting knots and stuff that equals rip cuts will slow you down because the chain doesn't self feed well in rip cuts.

I use my 32" (full compliment) pretty frequently, and I've never noticed that. I have noticed that if you are filing them and happen to be better at one side than the other, they will start to curve quicker than a smaller saw/ bar, probably because there's more teeth to curve you. So i happen to grind them more often than i would normally, and then they cut fine. It does seem to go slower, but you are cutting a bunch more wood. I also ream way more when using a longer bar, and that definitely helps at least for me. Especially bucking, I'm reaming anything bigger than 12 inches or so. So much easier when bucking that stuff up, and keeps you in the wood rather than the bark.

Got the old full comp on there too. With that bar, I'm not looking for blazing speed, just to decently get thru the damn thing . Yup, was doing reaming too, in an effort to giterdone. Yup, ripping collars etc will be slower fo sho. I gotta go look at the chain and see what's up. But that involves standing up from the puter and yeah nah, I'm looking for excuses to stay seated.:/::drink:

I remember a big maple I cut, I don't know the variety, I want to say red maple because of the light colored bark. I swapped chains at least once and sharpened a few times just cutting the face. It was a big 30-40"DBH one too.

So I filed the 42" this morning. Some teeth had extremely slight issues with their cutting edge. All rakers measure evenly with a gauge. All teeth look to have equal and good shape.

We shall see how it goes and hour from now. I would have preferred of course to have found significant problems with the teeth

Reactions: Raj
088 together for the most part, fired up pretty good first time, ran for half a minute, now she floods like crazy. All I did was clean and light coat of 2 stroke oil the cylinder and piston/rings, it has some compression.

Made myself a new hammer holder this afternoon. I had found the hook a few years ago. It's from HarborFright, and the nylon backing broke. The carpenter it belonged to discarded it. I picked it up with the intention of removing the metal, and making my own mount, but never quite got to it. I kept making repairs with wire, and it kept going. Last week I ran out of repair, so I finally had to build my own. I was gonna make it out of boot leather, but I didn't have a piece big enough. I ended up using cargo strapping I found last week. I also cut a piece of strapping to make a scabbard for my new Silky blade. It was filthy, so my knife edge is thrashed. Riveted it on with some copper rivets, and used looped paracord to fit it to my belt. Seems to work well...

IMG_20200818_162218.jpg

Cut a tree by the court house today. We have the city contract for removals and trims. Some ass (probably the guy that has a place next to where we were chipping. ) called the city complaining. My city contact called me as we were finishing the clean up. "You guys doing a removal today?" I said yes sir just finishing the clean up. I thought we might have been in trouble. All was good. Hope everyone had a great day fellers, and the like.

Live trapped the rascal overnight; trap set right at his entry point under the woodshed side wall. Relocated the bushy tailed wood rat to a stand of second growth about 8 miles from home. That should do it for this one :).
Just think....you could have made a pot of dumplings with it and enjoyed tasty revenge....

Spotted something twice in the house now...larger than a mouse, but too quick to identify. I'm guessing chipmunk or rat.

Leaning toward rat, taking into consideration the junk old bus & other vehicles being torn apart next door and the remodelling gong on two doors to the other side of my place. :/:

Might stake out the dog food dish tonight with pellet gun handy...

Yeah so, bucked up chunks and logs to get em small enough for the log truck to lift, about 100k lbs of wood came off that property in 2 trees. The sawing sucked again today. Kinda a confidence blow when you in the wood cutting business and you have wood that barely cuts. Put a new unused unfiled chain on the 42'' bar and it too did poorly. It took 5 hours of cutting, and btw that was with hitting no metal or foreign objects. The chit would barely cut. Basically the worst tree I've ever worked on. I had $11k on the two trees, shoulda been 20k. SMH.

Big Tex tree service put a card on my front porch, they are from west Houston TX, storm chasing. SMH big time. There's a huge sugar maple in front that tore down all the wires. Asplunk cleared the wires and the tree is still demolished but it's a town tree so big tex aint getting a piece of that one. Big Tex appears to be a one truck one chipper outfit, based on their website. My mind would disintegrate if I had to drive from houston to CT to cut some trees

I mean I guess that's the last thing to be examined. But it really has very few hours on it. But now I'm kinda disgusted with that long bar and a bit intrigued too, I may try to cut some smaller stuff, maybe oak with it, see how it does. I hate that long bar. Takes like 15 minutes to install.

Spotted something twice in the house now...larger than a mouse, but too quick to identify. I'm guessing chipmunk or rat.

Leaning toward rat, taking into consideration the junk old bus & other vehicles being torn apart next door and the remodelling gong on two doors to the other side of my place. :/:

Might stake out the dog food dish tonight with pellet gun handy...
Glue traps work very well. Stick them along a wall, in a corner, or at the end of some opening in a rat sized path.

I mean I guess that's the last thing to be examined. But it really has very few hours on it. But now I'm kinda disgusted with that long bar and a bit intrigued too, I may try to cut some smaller stuff, maybe oak with it, see how it does. I hate that long bar. Takes like 15 minutes to install.
Probably a stupid question, but what sprocket were you using?

I don't mean to insult you Cory, but the gauges all match up, right?

Yes they all gauged even. All teeth on the filed chain looked perfect.

Nutball, Idk, it's the same size one always been on there. I do replace it every so often,

I guess I'd like to know if anyone else on here has experience cutting hardwood with a 42" bar.

I've done red oak(both rip and cross) with a 36" bar and didn't notice anything out of order.

That much bar takes a lot of oil. Stihls are notorious for stingy oilers, Huskys not so much. Even so a little extra dribble of oil on the bar or a squirt of lube from an aerosol can may help on the tough cuts.

The only maples we have around here are swamp maples which are soft and fairly light wood. Hard for a Florida boy to imagine maple hard as a rock.

Back