How'd it go today?

Lovely Sean!

My day's been disappointing. Got off work early, and thought I'd take care of my locust since it's about as cool as it'll be for awhile(82°). I wasn't comfortable in the tree, so I didn't get much done. I didn't like what I was seeing, and I got scared and came down.

My intention was to spur up, set a rope through a crotch, but choke it off on the main stem, come down, and limbwalk out, bringing the limb down in small pieces. I was having trouble getting purchase with the spurs. Hit some hollow parts, and bark was stripping off in sheets. Got up to the limb to be removed, and saw this...

20200624_155302.jpg

That's the limb I intended to walk. My gloves are stuffed in the union here...

20200624_155311.jpg

I might have kept going if I had a line set first, but it's a ~30' shot at ~65°. I have a snowball's chance in hell of hitting that with a throwline. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. I don't want to call a tree company, but I don't think I can do it with the gear/skills I currently have. I could get a bigshot, set a line first, and maybe give it one more go, with a better look up high... Decisions...

How does the rest of the tree look?

I was given a new strip in the woods today- loads of partially windthrown larch instead of my typical ash tree slaughter, was going well for the first hour or so until Irealised that most of them were decayed and kept on collapsing onto my saw. Few times today the axe has saved me to make a back-cut IMG_1667.JPG

I started a thread awhile ago here...

This is the best pic I have of it(from that thread)...

20191124_132643-jpg.97886

The lowest long limb is the one I want to remove right now, but I want to get rid of the whole tree fairly shortly. The crotch I intended on using is the next substantial one above that limb. I don't quite trust the stub that's coming off the union(the reason I wanted to choke it on the main stem), but it should probably be alright.

edit:
My intention was to get out to the end where it goes 90° up, cut off the 90° part, and lower it down while it's tied off to the main limb. I was then gonna drop and/or lower sections going back to the stem. There's an old jeep cherokee below I'd prefer not dropping wood on, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not driving it, and it already has a substantial dent in the top when one of the locusts shed a big limb during a storm.

edit2:
Writing the last edit made me remember that was when I got my first chainsaw; a PoulanPro from walmart. The limb that dented the top of the jeep also broke the windshield, and walmart's ~1 mile away, so I walked up and got the saw to take care of all the wood that came down :^)

Last edited:
Not an easy tree for someone with limited rope climbing experience. Always hard to judge angles from a picture, but... I would use a base tie with a rope over the next crotch higher than the one you mentioned and then open up the angle by running it through an upper crotch in one of the trees behind it.

Leaning trees can feel 'soft'. Opening up the angles to where each point is loaded in compression will make for a firmer and safer feel.

I just went out to look again. I found a hole where I think I could hit the lower crotch. I can't even see the upper one from the ground. Too many leaves and stuff. I might be able to get it if I got on the roof.

White oak went very well. Had to tighten up the lay a bit because of a well head that was hidden from my sight when I first was there. No big deal. Losing five degrees really didn’t matter. Just gave me less margin of error. Only took out three, six inch diameter cherries. Expected more damage to the woods. After that it was back to estimates. I remembered to leave myself a note to look into Norway maple diseases.

Spent the evening bringing hay bales in.
It was cut, baled and wrapped in only 2 days, which is a record.

Unfortunately, due to the extremely dry spring, we only got about half of what we normally get.
So I'll have to go shopping for hay.:cry:
Stacking bales with only one good hand is hard, so i called a friend for help.

Good to have friends when you are hurt.

Small bucket truck broke down on the job today. Left me stranded about 4' above the dump trailer with a massive hydraulic leak and complete loss of pressure. I was working by myself doing a 'favor' job after finishing our regular work for the day, so it was hot and I was completely out of energy. Wasn't willing or able to deal with it in 98* heat so I called a buddy for a ride home and locked up the truck until I can deal with it.

I don't know how you do it Brian. I couldn't do treework in FL. It's 82° here, and already too hot for me. Good luck getting your truck going.

Small bucket truck broke down on the job today. Left me stranded about 4' above the dump trailer with a massive hydraulic leak and complete loss of pressure. I was working by myself doing a 'favor' job after finishing our regular work for the day, so it was hot and I was completely out of energy. Wasn't willing or able to deal with it in 98* heat so I called a buddy for a ride home and locked up the truck until I can deal with it.
Good move, walk away, if it’s safe lock it up go back later, have a beer.

Making progress(very small) with my locust. Got home a little early, and the weather wasn't too hot considering the time of year, so I debated taking the tree on again. After yesterday's defeat, I wasn't super enthused about dealing with it. I figured I'd try to set a throwline, and see how I feel. Even if I don't climb. throwline practice would be good.

Tried the two hand toss for the first time. Height is much better, but my accuracy is a little worse I think. I stepped on the string three times on my retosses, and two of those SOBs were perfect shots, but got stopped short because of my stupid feet :^S Finally got it set after way too many tries. I still wasn't sure about climbing today, so I figured I'd pull my climbline over, cause why not?

I couldn't get it into the crotch like I wanted due to the gnarly bark on the tree, but I got it good enough to feel secure spurring up to fix it. So... I suited up, and went up the tree again. Felt much better being attached to a line(drt). I climbed up to the crotch. removing little crap on the way. and got my line set the way I wanted, went down to the limb in question, and kind of froze debating on my trip out there. I wasn't feeling comfortable, but after sitting on it for a short while, and busying myself setting up a positioning line, and scootched out on my butt after disconnecting my lanyard. My big plans for lowering the branches easy went away. I didn't feel comfortable enough to try rigging anything, so I said "to hell with the jeep", and just dropped them.

I tried to ease them down, and that actually worked very well. Start the cut, then let them sag plumb, and cut them off. Hit the jeep a little, but not too hard. They held strong til I finished the cut. That gave me an idea for doing the end of the limb. If I cut it a bit back, it should miss the house. I just have to get my scaredy ass out there(too many Skeerios I guess) :^D

I didn't really do much all said and done, but I got about 50# off the limb, and that's 50# off my weight when when I try it again. I left the line in the tree for the time being. It was such a PITA to set, I don't want to do it again. Leaving a rope outside is bad policy, but it'll be ready for me, and that's one less thing to deal with. If you guys bid the job with me as the climber, you'd lose your ass on this one :^D

I need to get comfortable with my gear. I don't do it enough, so it's "Holy Shit, my feet aren't on the ground!" every time. I know my setup's solid, so I need to trust my ropes, and work with them, instead of clinging to the branch like a retarded squirrel. I guess "Groundhog" is a good name for me. Disappointed that it doesn't go like it does in my head, but I'm determined to at least get that stupid branch down. I'm not comfortable being my own agent of defeat...

/blog

Why I am so reserved to have more maintenance in my fleet. Still want a towable boom though. 60 or so feet would be a jem up here. Keeps me under the DOT radar. CA is a frig fest of taxes and shit to deal with. I know you'll have her fixed in short order Brian. Good to take a break and come back to it fresh.

A visitor to the job site today. Not afraid of saw noise and let Rob get with in about 10 feet or better. IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0303.JPG

Pheasants are cool birds. Can't remember the last time I saw one. They used to be more common around here(not super common), but I don't see them like I used to. More turkeys though, so I guess that's good.

A close call, only avoided by some time in between.
I'm in my big job of the year, cleaning and securing the trees of a castle's ground (the one with the big London planes). I had just finished a side alley and was dismantling an almost dead thuyas on the main entrance, when I heard a loud crack tuesday afternoon. I wasn't worried at first because there is some construction work not far away. But when I left the job site wednesday, I saw some unexpected green foliage downed in the already cleaned alley.
What's up ?
My last tree, a big ash, has dropped a 9" limb just like that, snap !
Nice calm hot weather, and an otherwise perfectly healthy limb. There was no decay, just a little weird clump of fibers where it broke about 7-8' from it's base. I was tied on it for some dead wooding less than 30 hours ago. Actually, I even used its twin (sharing the same crotch, like an Y) to traverse from a big oak monday morning.

Let's think a bit about security and securing !

John have you heard the phrase low and slow yet? You need to set a line, harness up, and literally play around on the ground more or less. Keep all your weight in the saddle, and walk/ crawl away from the trunk, working your hitch in and out, changing sides, e.t.c. Go up a few feet, push off the trunk, and land on spots. When you are up in the air, you need to be comfortable with your gear.

If you are going to cut trees at all, a bigshot or potato gun thing will be far more valuable than your spurs, and cost far less. You will be able to set lines for pulling trees, and lines for rigging and climbing. Like most people who try to self teach climbing, they start with a preconception of what tree climbing is, and buy that gear, and then when they come up to different obstacles they are stopped in their tracks.

In the trees that you have, a climb line placed high is going to be wayyyyyyyyyy more useful than the ability to get a step anywhere (spurs). Honestly learning to climb spurless first would make your efforts far more productive. Spur only climbing is awesome on straight up stuff, and that's about it. Even then a set climb line makes everything that much better. Watch any video of any climber doing anything other straight up trunk, and they are all sitting back in their harness on their climb line.

Back