How'd it go today?

We used to get daddy long legs, we even named one cinnamon (long legs like a stripper lol). Something finally ate her, but we then started to get a few wintering stink bugs, which of course the kids and animals go crazy over, so we let them stay too.

Basically wasn't feeling it at all today, and had scheduled a silver maple removal for after work. Really didn't feel like doing that, was kinda pumped out from a prune earlier this week. Climbing very intermittently sucks because your body never get used to it. Winds were gusting to 30 mph, almost called it on that alone, but figured i might feel better once i got in the groove. Pulled down a few widow makers, set my line on an old topping cut because that was all that's left, and then started up trimming all of the sucker growth so lines could run free. Worked my way out the first leader, and noticed it was hollow, no biggie but another strike. Then just as i was about to call for the rigging line i noticed both my planned rigging branch and my tie in branch had pretty large vertical splits that i didn't notice with all the suckers. Figured that was strike 3, time for a lift, which is fine cause i can hit several other jobs with it too. Customer was understanding, so time for beer.

An invitation into at a successful family biz, with age, wasp allergies, and economy against you, might be a solid path to retirement.

We are going to be able to seed into way more residue and trash than before. Ground that we would have had to till we will be able to simply seed.

On our organic acres, we will be able to seed a cover crop right behind the combine. Thinking about seeding vetch and triticale right in the stubble.

On our hay land we will be able to renovate and improve the fields by drilling in covers after the hay comes off.

Should lead to better yields and soil quality with out chemicals.

Also, on acres that we are intensively grazing, we will be able to stick with the "talk half....leave half" much easier.

Typically, with our older hoe drill, we would have to take nearly all the forage if we would have any chance of seeding a following crop without tillage.

When you leave half, you leave plenty for the soil, wildlife and insects.

No chance for erosion either.

Its hard to believe that farming this way is almost against the rules!

It's pretty interesting Jim. I like reading what you're up to, and your thoughts on farm/land management. I only have a vague notion of how it all works, so it's good to know what it's really like in the field.

Hahaha!

Not that anyone asked............

Good stuff for sure. I'm sure you know most or all of us at da House are keenly interested in your success with regenerative ag.

"Ground that we would have had to till we will be able to simply seed." Ive leaned from you that is Huge.

3 guys and lowest on the payroll. I try for 125 per man hour. This crew costs around 45-50 per man hour. They rock it on a regular basis. My high end crew I shoot for 200 a man hour. They’ve been below expectations.

I'm missing something- 125/man hour for the low crew x 3 men = 3000/day which is righteous dollars every day for 3 men. Then why the big hoot when they made 3200?

Top crew- 200/man hour x 3 men=4800/day.

Im moving to ohio

Sucks about the freezer. I had one trip a breaker a few years ago, and I didn't notice for awhile. There's a bunch of stuff still in there :^D I meant to get to it "later", and later hasn't happened yet. The big chunk of rotten meat I put out for the black vultures that hung out in my oak tree. I later learned black vultures can't smell. Land critters are probably what made it disappear.

Back