How'd it go today?

I went to work today, first time since my staircase stunt.
I have an old client, have had him for 25 years or more.
Every year we cut the grass after the wildflowers have bloomed, rake it together and drag it off.
Usually in fine weather, but today it rained all day.
Reminded me of my youth in Northern Norway, except I used a scythe back then.
4 hours with the weedwhacker and then rake and backpack blower, my hand hurts like hell, now.

Straight cash job, for the travel fund.
Just on the odd chance that we'll ever actually get to go to California.

IMG_20200620_083014 (2).jpg IMG_20200620_082918.jpg

Jim, why not just do like the hog breeders here do; import a lot of cheap soybeans from Brazil.

Yep, they are clearing rainforest in Amazonas, so Danish swine can get cheap feed.

Gutty??

Rich, sounds like they have the guy with all the skills doing estimation. You sounds like you're needed at the super-producer end, with someone else selling the work. The HitMan for the whole company. Training/ demoing/ OJT'ing the crews.

How did they hit the gutter?
How will it be addressed?

Better to say "not feeling it today" than, "So Doc, there I was, I hoped it was going to be okay..."

How will you harvest the Sudan grass? The farmer I drive truck for planted a few hundred acres last year and it was an sob to chop.

Yep. Lot cheaper too.

Where we are on the range all year long...it makes really good sense.

Wouldn't maken as good sense on a dairy farm.

Cheaper and easier are almost always near to the same thing. As always, full admiration from here of what you and your family achieve under so many challenges, Jim.

Makes my little trials and tribulations look like the small change that they are.

Yup, and you don't get a vacation from the farm. You're on call always. My uncle went on one vacation to Germany. I was young, so I don't know how the animals were cared for, but that was the only vaction he took. His money job was a butcher, and the farm took the rest of his time.

I was coming back from visiting my Dad and spotted a guy pulling a long cart across the road in front of me, he was walking not knowing I was after him, so I caught up with him, pulled in front of him on a side street and told him it was mine, no fight, he told me he found it, so I walked with him to take some bags he had in it to his place. Thankfully no fight. He seemed decent.

Checked my mail today, and found a note in my box from my backyard neighbor. She wants me to survey their property. Says she wants to plant trees to block out a neighbor on the other side. I'm not super thrilled with my main job, and don't really like doing side work. Not surveying related stuff anyway. I'll probably end up doing it just to be neighborly, and hopefully they don't want the whole 10ac or whatever it is done. I'll try to get out of it by suggesting a side work deal wouldn't be best if it'll end up in court, but I'm guessing I'll be staking their line :^/

I would definitely have a price, in beer if nothing else, especially if you guys aren't helping each other with different stuff all the time

The woman's a whackadoo :^D They're nice enough I guess. The man's a doctor, and seems pretty straightforward, but the woman's a psychopath. They're the ones that got the mate to my old oak removed a month or so ago. In the note, she said she was considering having a portable mill come in to mill it. I think that might be her psycho way of saying "I know you have a mill, and I might want you to mill that big ass oak for me too" :^D

I'm not really interested in money, but I also don't want to be the guy that does cheap/free surveying, especially if she's gonna go to war with the neighbors. A few years ago I did some recon on their property. Can't remember why now, but I reported the back neighbors were using some of their property. Routine stuff; a shed, misc junk, mow-overs... the routine encroachments. My recommendation was to not worry about it. They don't go back there, it's no money out of their pockets, and no point in stirring up a bunch of shit for no real gain. She didn't seem to agree, but she didn't pursue anything either, so I don't know... I just don't want a bunch of drama over nonsense. I'd have rather helped take down that big ass oak. Harder work, but more fun. I'd have done that for the cost of the extra gear I'd have had to buy.

edit:
Forgot. I went to mom's today, and the Ken Burns national park documentary was on. That was really good. Recommended.

Last edited:
Finished work a little early, came home, and made the grass shorter. I was eying up the pin oak next to the house. I want to remove a couple branches, but I couldn't decide where to put my line. There's a bunch of little stuff blocking my throwline toss. I think I know what I'm gonna go for, but decided to leave it for another day. I might want to use one of my short rigging lines, but I can't remember how short they are. I need to dig through my bag, and figure out exactly what I have.

Back