How'd it go today?

Brian, that would be it for all of us that were born mid last century.

Nope, when it comes to logging, men with chainsaws are old school.

Harvesters are breathng down our necks.
Agreed Stig. We are being pushed into th most extreme terrain & the biggest stands of timber. One local contractor has a machine that can work on a 30 degree slope & has a 900mm cut.

Same here.
All we get is the really old stuff, that harvesters can't handle.
That is just so much hard work, compared to logging 60-80 year old trees.

Routine stuff today. Easy. At work I cut vines out of a dying birch, and took off a dead leader. The whole thing should come down, but any tree is better than no tree, so I'll just keep an eye on it. Looked like a sucker was coming up next to it. Maybe that'll be the replacement. Helped the boss try to get his skidloader unstuck from a creek crossing. He couldn't get it started, so that's still down there. Not sure how that's gonna get handled.

Sitting at home waiting to heal up, I found the movie " Monte Walsh" on youtube and watched that. ( Second version)
Really touched something in me.
Monte is the last cowboy, I feel like I might be the last old school hard core faller.

I read the book, was one of the first real books I ever read. The only part I remember is when young monte was asked by a store owner or someone like that to stack a bunch of firewood, when the guy came back later to check on progress, he got all pissed that monte had stacked the wood too well, too tightly so therefore buyers of said wood would be getting too good a deal.

Yeah spalted wood, ime, is pretty much rock hard. I like the look, its interesting

The thing with splayed wood is catching it at the right time and getting the sealer or whatever on it. Anyhow it’s not my cup of tea either.
Rough day between trying to do estimates and assisting two crews. We had 3 guys call off so that put a hurting on things. That and the one crew had no business on the job they were sent to. Boss is still doing scheduling so that’s went wrong there. Also one of the guys off was in their crew and I had no one to spare. We ended up getting 4 out of 5 whoe pines stripped out and mostly cleaned up. To top the day off, my door handle quit working so I have to put the window down to get out. The rain is coming down in buckets at the moment and I’m not willing to deal with that right now.

Base was rotten...no good wood for a hinge. Had to cut at about 20' up...short video in Tree Felling Vids. Ladder was for quick access up and down to cutting point...on spurs part of the time, too. Even left a few stubs (sorry, Butch!) at first for easy maneuver. Started without spurs, using stubs but needed to stand where stubs were not...so out came the spurs.

Probably would have been simpler all around to just use spurs from the get-go.

You should have built a scaffold complete with 2 slides for an easy effortless and badass exit :lol:

Got laid off today (expected), and there's no pipe work at all on the horizon which never happens. We'll see, but now i can finally get rolling on my projects....... :D

20200516_184430.jpg

Finally got stuff moved around so i can clean up my back lot, including dragging this thing out. Hoping I'll get it cleaned up in the next weeks. Also got to drop this one, don't bother beating me up about the mismatch bore cut, i know and already beat myself up lol. Got just about all of it pushed into the burn pile when it started raining.

20200516_144928.jpg

20200516_144935.jpg

I've seen plenty worse felling cuts, my friend. As long as you really understand what you're trying to achieve, you'll always get better.

It's the clueless fools that have no idea what needs to be done to get a felling cut right, that are likely to someday find out why doing it otherwise is bad :).

I was trying to avoid the saw chips, the damn thing is covered in poison ivy :lol: no excuse to fail to line up cuts, but my arm, side, and of all things nose have blisters from last weekend's efforts :cry::cry:

Ya better start eatin some of them leaves, get you some homeopathic resistance ;)

That would take any one's attention off the details, Kyle :D.

I dislike poison ivy and oak with a passion. I hope you never have to breathe smoke off a wildfire where the prevalent ground cover was poison oak. I suffered for 3 months from a few days of heavy exposure, back about 25 years now, but I have no difficulty recalling every detail.

Edit: Screw that, Cory...you first :D.

I do on a regular basis. It's a good thing for me, but I have never been highly allergic to the stuff, just somewhat. Just ate some tender young leaves on friday, I heard ol timers say those are the best to eat cuz they aren't as poisonous as fully developed leaves

I've read stuff about that before, not sure that would be my kind of thing... with my luck my tongue would swell so much i couldn't breathe and then i would inchy craps for the next year :lol:

I've seen plenty worse felling cuts, my friend. As long as you really understand what you're trying to achieve, you'll always get better.

It's the clueless fools that have no idea what needs to be done to get a felling cut right, that are likely to someday find out why doing it otherwise is bad :).
I agree. You show great attention to detail Kyle. That was much better than “others” have posted

The main vine on that one was as big as my arm, so that's definitely in the old developed stuff category. I definitely stay away from the fire when i torch it off, i hate it almost as much as i hate wasps. Should i try eating some of them too? Hahahahahaha

Eating poison ivy to gain resistance is *really* intriguing, but I don't think I can bring myself to try it. I don't get it too bad as-is, and I feel like I'd be setting myself up for some real misery without a lot of gain.

Back