How'd it go today?

Ground work....X-ray work...not tree work.

A customer had a 25 year old CT machine (type of x-ray system) they needed removed. We declined the job a few months ago...big, heavy, some types have depleted uranium in them...can be a nightmare. The doctor had his farm hand/ranch manager have a go at it. They saw-zalled covers off, got all jiggy with it and then Covid hit and they decided the farm hand was high risk and should not be in the office...that it was hay season and he really needed to be getting in the hay...that's what the customer told me last week. They called us again to see if we could take over the job. We finally worked up a decent price and said we would do it.

When we started the job today the staff told us what really happened...while the cowboys were taking things apart, something really big and heavy moved unexpectedly (like happens in a tree sometimes!) They said, "screw that" and bailed. We got to meet the cowboy today...real nice fellow, he came by to pickup his tools...said he was really glad to see us taking over.

The big round thing is the gantry...they weigh from 1200 to 6000 lbs. We were told this one was probably about 4K...it was really, really heavy. Started 7:30AM and had it on the trailer by about 12:30...took a few more hours to secure the loads and clean up.

It was a pretty good challenge...not much physical strain (equipment did most of that) but was a real brain strain some of the time.

Attachments

• Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (2a)  (1).jpeg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (2a) (1).jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (2a)  (2).jpeg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (2a) (2).jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (1).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (5).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (5).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (6).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (6).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (10).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (10).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (12).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (12).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (14).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (14).jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (16).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (16).jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (18).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (18).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Attachments

• Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (20).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (20).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (22).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (22).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (30).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (30).jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal  (31).jpg
    Family Medical Center Thomaston CT removal (31).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Pretty easy day. Laid out a house that was a bit of a PITA, but nothing too terrible. Went back to the office, played on the computer a bit, then went home. Got to see two cranes doing treework. One was working on an iron sequoia(cell phone tower with branches :^P ) on my way home, and my back neighbor is getting some treework done. The mate to my black oak that went down a couple years ago is getting removed. I really don't like seeing that. Dunno if it had any issues, or the woman just wanted it gone. She isn't playing with a full deck, and worries about things that don't need worrying about. Anyway, I'm sad to see it go. Missed the action too. I saw the crane swinging around, but never saw it with a load. The spar's still up, but it looks like they're just cleaning today's activities, and will get it tomorrow. Hopefully that's the extent of it, and they aren't clearing house.

edit:
Spoke too soon. Just saw the crane swinging what looked like a complete tree over to the chipping area. Kind of curious what they're up to.

Last edited:
Hi everybody. Been a while since I've been here, looking forward to participating in the forum again. I haven't been around since Butch locked me out a year ago for whatever reason, I have no idea. It wasn't the first time though. I got a call yesterday informing me that Butch had died so I figured I would stop by and join up again.

I almost forgot. Yesterday I did my first cat rescue in probably 15 years. Less than 2 blocks from my house, neighbor was freaked out about a neighborhood cat stuck up in a tree. She mentioned it to another neighbor who knew me, so I was called in. I stopped by after work and he was probably 35'-40' up a skinny oak and wedged in a fork. I donned my welding gloves and brought a big towel along. Poor guy was scared to death and very happy to get back on the ground. When I got about 10' off the ground he managed to escape my grasp and blasted off into the horizon. We do have a lot of hawks and even great horned owls around the area so it's probably best I got him down before dark.

OK, I'll own it...spalted wood is just a very near term for rotten, in my lexicon. Me...I would not make anything from it, that I wanted to last.

I'll readily admit that my knowledge of this subject is weak :).

Very weak, Burnham.
For indoor use, treated right, it'll last as long as old growth Redwood.
Turners, myself included, make wonderful things from it.

Very weak, Burnham.
For indoor use, treated right, it'll last as long as old growth Redwood.
Turners, myself included, make wonderful things from it.
Yup for indoor stuff, bowls accent trim, it will last along time.

Back when I made table tops, I've made a few out of spalted wood.
Lots of applications of cellulose sanding sealer will harden the soft spots before a last sanding and Danish oil application.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking the work involved or the look, but knowing it's a from of rot is a deal breaker for me. Some people like it but not my speed.

Sitting at home waiting to heal up, I found the movie " Monte Walsh" on youtube and watched that. ( Second version)
Really touched something in me.
Monte is the last cowboy, I feel like I might be the last old school hard core faller.

Last edited:
I like "defective" wood. It's more interesting to look at. Wood that's too perfect looks like something a computer could make out of synthetics.

Dying breed! At some point old school has to become new school.
And what's considered old school?
To me old school is cross cut saws and axes. Or is that really old school?

Nope, when it comes to logging, men with chainsaws are old school.

Harvesters are breathng down our necks.

Back