How'd it go today?

You kinda jumped in a bit fast Deva. You went full time and landed those city contracts right off rip. That’s a challenge. Especially that early in having your own business. I know I couldn’t have handled that stress level. I have no doubt that you will find a happy median with your work schedule. You got this. If not, I could use a good climber😉
I just had another typical muddy day doing ROW clearing. Boss sent me an extra guy so I snagged another chipper and chip truck, and had two jobs going at once. The climber got three medium sized trees down over a header and valve with two ground men while I took another to help fell and chip. I’ll be climbing a few tomorrow. I might have the other climber go to felling and I’ll climb his share as well. I noticed him nursing his right arm a bit and think he might need a day to recover. I’m antsy anyhow. No one can get ahold of me if I’m on spurs all day and forget my phone in the truck😄. I’ll try to get some pictures of this place I’ll be at. I’m buying it if I win the lottery.

Here's a video from the car recovery we did last Saturday....
I got a call Friday from Paulding Co. that they needed a car recovered from a lake...a fellow didn't know the road at the top of a hill took a pretty sharp left...he entered the curve at about 50mph?, went airborne, hit the ground about 3 feet from the water and then skidded across the lake surface for about 75 feet. He managed to crawl out a window, his boots filled with 50 degree water and he was able to swim to shore. Lots of folks would have drowned right there. The car floated for another 5 minutes before finally sinking.

I was able to get another diver, John, and my brother, Todd, to help me. Todd brought his small fishing boat and sonar to help locate the car underwater. The car was reported as "17 feet off shore in 20 feet of water". That is suspiciously specific for such an event....witnessed water events are notoriously hard to pin down by exact location...thus the sonar. Good thing, too...the car was about 80-90 feet from shore...but it WAS at 20 feet depth. Once we located the likely location and marked it with buoys, I donned diving gear, John ran the ropes, Todd fished and we got 'er done. About 15 minutes of a search pattern yielded the 2018 Nissan Altima upside down at 20 feet depth. The recovery took a bit...had to change tanks once...dragging the cable and hook across the bottom for the last 15 feet was rough...rough underwater means using lots of air. Todd had boated it as far as his trolling motor would handle it...just not far enough to hook to the car. Once the chain/cable was set the wrecker drug the car upside down across the lake bottom and onto shore. Not real exciting video but shows the process.

I got nearly done with the job, one removal left but that is going to have to wait until the roads become unposted, signage went up yesterday. Ahh mud season is upon us.

I went to the castle again for a blown over oak from the storm last week. The landscaper showed me a pic of her, leaning at about 45° over the fence, hung up in a maple in the neighbor's field. When I saw her this morning, it was more like a 30° angle, laying on bowed and broken maple's limbs, a good bit away from the trunk. The stump was broken in the ground and didn't seem to hold much, if not at all. Not a big one, about 16" diameter, but still a lot a weight for a few limbs. Question, how long will she stay like that, before crushing the fence?
Don't touch that, don't cut anything before being ready to hold it.
So, I climbed the maple over the fence, carefully to not shake it, set a main block in it and a redirect in an other maple close, a sling and my rigging rope in the oak's head. Then my Porty on a cherry in the castle's ground for the other end. I tightened the rope the best I could by hand. Much better now.
The second rigging was my rope puller with a 2 MA, in line with the trunk but opposite of the rigging rope, tied at the first big limb.
Now cutting time, first the small reachable stuff to clear the fence, then the trunk at the stump, slowly to release the tension. First cracking sound and debris fall in the crown. I cut most of the trunk to reduce the weight and to be able to actually pull the crown with the Maasdam.
Then came the magic, the Maasdam pulling the butt off the ground, all the oak's crown flying slowly (very) out of the maple. Time to time I let go a bit of rope at the porty to keep the tension reasonable. Pulling, pulling and sweating under the rain (not so fun if I got a blue sky), cutting what I can reach and hold by hand (over the fence), pulling again maxing out the Maasdam, until the tip cleared the fence. Phew !
Almost done.
Cleaning time, in the maple too, and packing back the gear, all soaked by the rain.
Poor Akimbo, looks like it was took off a swamp !

That's good! Will you make out ok going forward, perhaps with some medication? I'm only vaguely familiar with what the thyroid does.

My resting heart rate is around 45 beats a minute. Synthroid won't fix my thyroid but apparently keeps it from getting worse. Get well Jim.

Should be okay.

Heart is great....labs are great....x rays great.

The last bp was 150-90 with a resting heart rate of 112.

No wonder I have been feeling like shit for the last year.

They have never seen someone look so healthy with pneumonia before.

Been through the heart attack, heart failure, genetic heart defect...........and settled on a ruined thyroid with pneumonia.

At least they were thorough!

Thyroid controls a lot. Heart reat being one function.

Apparently the thyroid has been dying for could be close to a year. I just thought I was horrifically depressed and an alcoholic.

Not saying I am not those things...........

Good reasoning...we are a pool of delicately balanced chemicals and electrical impulses. Chems out of sync/balance is a big deal.

Good to hear you have some clarity re your health, hope you are feeling chipper, pronto

Heavy stuff Jim, hope you manage it ok.
Just been reading up on failing thyroid and best treatments, as I’m sure you have.
Looks like a relatively simple fix, but a lifetime of taking the drug.

Last edited:
Glad you found out Jim. My sister has taken something for thyroid for 20 or 30 years - modern marvels.....

Mick weren't you getting another loader? Info/pics posted here?

Back