How'd it go today?

Started out as a bad day, then got better and ended up bad.

The battery compartment on my hearing aid broke off at the hinge.
That is a 3 grand hearing aid, so I was extremely pissed off.
Went to the hearing aid shop and was told that there is a 3 year warranty on those, so just drop them off and it'll be fixed fir free.
Drove home smiling.
Then our new apprentice called, he had run his car out of fuel.
No problem, I went out and brought him 10 liters of gas.
Car wouldn't start.
Turns out it was a diesel car.
He says he told me twice , DIESEL.
Me being without my hearing aids, never picked that up.

So I guess the money I saved on the hearing aids will go to a new fuel pump on his car.

Getting old and deaf SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess nothing happens when you put gas in a diesel? Never heard of it being done(have heard the reverse), but I'd have thought it would run well enough to destroy itself. A fuel pump's a bargain compared to what I'd have expected.

Got my loader up and running, now just need to get an idler for the tracks repaired. Runnable.

Rain.

Yesterday, knowing that it was going to rain, went and banged over 5 trees, one with a FOGT trick. Suspended load, midline, to maintain pulling power as the dead and crusty alder fell. All's well that fells well, and pays well.

Cool trick. Used cuz you were working alone?

It keeps tension on the line, whereas
Someone pulling by hand or machine loses tension.

Not the ideal set up, right up against the rope-puller because of interfering branches from other trees, but did the job. Rain started as I finished packing up after this last tree. Leave them in the greenbelt, no cleanup.

IMG_20191218_151814599.jpg IMG_20191218_151849949_HDR.jpg

I took three logs from the first trunk, and clove-hitched, with half hitches to be sure it all stayed together.

Did this once on a big back-leaning top, heavier log, mid-span, pulled by mini.

Dead alder leaning directly at the corner of the fence... Barely any good fibers.

Side-pull, slightly forward of 90*, so I needed to keep tension as it fell.

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_152611221.jpg
    IMG_20191218_152611221.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20191218_152624886.jpg
    IMG_20191218_152624886.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Like that weighted pull line trick Sean! The light bulb went off when I saw that pic.

Jed- that looks like a fun one. Nothing like running a chainsaw-on-a-stick all day, in the rain to boot. Gross

Back