How'd it go today?

Yeah, it's different now for sure, and it's not quite like that everywhere yet for sure. As a fitter/ pipeliner I'm usually on heavy industrial work, bigger jobs up to a few thousand workers all in the same area. I specialize in the heavier parts of the trade; rigging, welding, confined space, high work, code welds, e.t.c, so i mainly work in chemical plants, power plants, and pipeline. These are the most anal of places, but even the smaller commercial jobs are readily adapting their standards. John, you are right about you being off the radar, inspectors, surveyors, consultants, etc are usually exempt from some of the stuff because they aren't actually on what they consider "the tools" and aren't by the life threatening stuff. Not saying your job is safe by any means, but they see you guys differently than the guy lighting up a torch 100 feet in the air to cut an i beam support while a crane operator is pretensioning by radio signals.

coupla plastic wedges + the wall hauler = crazy power, plus of course you can hold what you pull without effort.

Things have changed for sure. When I started doing this stuff, we used to walk beams unclipped. There weren't any cables to clip to. I don't think I have the ability to do that anymore. I never liked it back in the day, and I've gotten more afraid of heights with age. It takes everything I've got to get out there with a harness on anymore.

A guy I work with brags(lies) about how many big falls he's had over the years.

The misconception that working at heights unsafely makes you more of a man is wrong. To do it in favor of production as an employee is not worth it. Post incident investigation, the company will roll over on you to save their own ass. For a family man to do it is selfish and erases any respect (from me) that he may have gained at being really "good at his job." Getting home every night should be priority one. This is my opinion, of course and I hope it's taken as such.

It's -30c without the wind here which is going to make -20 feel pretty damn good when it comes.

Great post, imo, Ryan.

I'm always telling my guys about some activity that comes up, "it's not worth getting hurt for"

If Jed has a deep seated need for risky behavior, I'd recommend being safer at work and then take up something overtly dangerous like BASE jumping, wing suiting, free soloing etc.

Rain and fog today. Looked a little bit for jul gifts, but I'm drawing a blank for my mother. Got the boss a case of Chimay red. That stuff's expensive! It was $144 for the case. Giving him that, and a box of pretzels. Looks like I'm getting a case Chimay for myself also. I ordered from two stores to hedge my bet. I guess I'm under no obligation to buy, but I ordered it, and I like doing what I say I'll do. It's good beer. I'll just drink it slowly :^D

I was gonna do some milling today. Set my rails up, and was gonna put my 25" bar on the 661. Bar's nowhere to be found. After looking everywhere 2+ times, I remember it's probably at work. Consider using my 36" even though I won't be able to do everything I want, and remember my 36" milling chain's at work also. A big goose egg getting stuff done today :^/

To get council work and power line clearance work you first have to have a construction white card, you do and on-line course on construction site safety and get video linked putting on a hi viz vest, hard hat and safety glasses, and double checked it was you that did the on-line stuff...

Rain rain rain. I'm fed up to have my ropes permanentely wet and my steel connectors rusted.

Chips definitively aren't a good long term solution for a driveway or a parking place. Nice at first, it ends up to be a mess. I had to showel the area where I park my van. With all the water, the wheels malaxed the stuff with a bit of the dirt under it, sinking through it. The bottom of my van began to drag on the ground, leveling the rut's sides ! Soon, I would be stuck.

Yup!

Marc, what is your take on all the unrest in France?

@Marc-Antoine yes the chip road idea isn't a long term thing, especially not without a 4x4 truck. However, I've used it for a few years to keep down mud and to gain traction, and to lose a ton of chips. The original chips have since turned to dirt, but with more being added, it still knocks down the mud and gives enough traction to get through. Backing trailers without a load of chips in the truck is a nightmare tho without chains.

Marc, what is your take on all the unrest in France?
My view is partial (meaning both not complete and biased) but I give it to you as is.:
It's a very tricky situation, impossible to resolve without angry. The roots of the present troubles are the retirement pensions.
The base system is that every present workers pay for the retired ones. It isn't a spare system for the future. Basically, what you pay is lost for you, just in hope that you'll receive something later from the future workers. It was interesting in the old economy with plenty of workers and few retired. But now it's less and less sustainable.
One big problem (to continue with this system) is there are plenty of special cases more advantageous than the common rules. Many of them were built to contend the strong labor unions in the state companies (like energy and rail roads for example) and the state employees. That's a lot of people and that costs a ton of money comparatively to the usual workers in the private economy. The problem is well known for dozens of years and has to be corrected by down grading that, but all the previous governments have postponed it for fair of the expected troubles.
Until this one.
Obviously the labor unions feel like the government shits on their shoes and challenges their power in the society. They have to put the country in chaos just to prove their strength. It's a labor union's affair and not at all a worker's affair as we could tell at first glance (but that's my own take). It's so true that the unions of the truckers come now in the battle, even if they have nothing to do in this problem.

The troubles aren't over for a long time. Happy holidays season !

Marc,

Your description is an almost exact duplicate of what's going to happen here in the US related to Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. All they are is government wealth redistribution programs, as government themselves spent all the surplus decades ago, so the programs are unsustainable and solutions have been kicked down the road for years now. I figured it out a long time ago, and don't have either plan accounted for in my long term/retirement scenarios.

- Brian

@BeerGeek both ss and Medicare are mainly funded through payroll taxes, which is of course paid by the working class. They are not wealth distribution programs, they are healthcare and retirement programs for the elderly and disabled.

@BeerGeek both ss and Medicare are mainly funded through payroll taxes, which is of course paid by the working class. They are not wealth distribution programs, they are healthcare and retirement programs for the elderly and disabled.

Kyle,

The taxes on today's workers pay for today's retirees, poor and even many who did not contribute, they are not put aside for the people currently paying in (which is how they were originally proposed). As they rely on this method now is the classic example of wealth redistribution, or as other's may refer, a Ponzi scheme. As governments tend to always do, they skim their percentage and misuse/abuse what may have sounded like a good idea. Both programs are broke and are unsustainable, especially as a 5 figure number of baby boomers retire each day. The fact that it is a "third rail" topic politically is why the reality of it is rarely discussed, or at least discussed honestly.

Last planned trees done yesterday. One tree had uprooted and was leaning on another one. The owner said it had been more than 3 years so I went up there after a few bounce tests with my trusted fat(ter) associate. The wind picked up and the noise of the two trees rubbing each other was scary loud. Got paid to take the trees down and I can come whenever I want to get the firewood. Not often can I stash my firewood on someone else's property. It is typically a race to get the place cleaned up and in tip top shape.
123_1005.jpeg

@BeerGeek , i will agree that they are a ponzi scheme in a way, but then so is any retirement or healthcare plan, and the markets for that matter. The workers pay for the old, which is how it's been since before agriculture. If it is a wealth redistribution thing, it is the workers subsidizing the rich, because they paid substandard wages to their workers, forcing the rest of society to take care of them later in life. Meanwhile, the rich enjoyed paying lower wages increasing profits, passing the opportunity costs on the working class. Any more debate we should probably start another thread....

Thank you Marc for the info.

Lxs, that is sad, sorry for your loss. Cute cat.

Back