How'd it go today?

Made this rustic hammer handle yesterday. By default, everything I make is "rustic" :^P

IMG-20190829-064834.jpg

Made it for my boss to keep on the tractor for banging pins and stuff. Used some ash I cut down earlier this year.

The head got stuck before it bottomed out. Couldn't get it on or off. I wanted to cut a wedge slot in the top, but settled on a circular "wedge"(whatever you call them). It has some room to loosen over time, so it should work ok. The top of the handle ended up just about flush with the head.

Did you soak it in water? Supposed to swell the wood and help keep it all together.
Ash is good for tool handles. Not nearly so common as hickory but it’s good.

If something is stupid but it works, it’s not stupid... unless it violates building code and someone else has to fix it later, in that case it’s still incredibly stupid.

If it get used for my intended purpose(left on a tractor), I'll oil it. Otherwise, I guess it'll just sit there :^D

I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't look like much, but it feels comfortable in-hand, especially with the large grip. That fits my hand better than a factory handle, and I like the uneven surface. My boss is little, so the size may not be as good for him. That's what happens when someone else does your work :shrugs: :^D

First, you dry strongly the handle, then you make a (tight) fit in the hammer, press or pound the handle in place, let it sit a while before using. The humidity comes back in the wood and makes it even more tight.
Soaking in the water is only a quick but temporary fix. You have to repair it properly anyway to keep a dependable service.

For axe, sledgehammer, pickax and others, I heat them and the handle's tip at about 80°C. Then I melt on them some hot glue to cover thoroughly the contact areas (directly from the stick) and push the handle in place. While it's hot, I put some more hot glue if there is a void.
Let it cool down and the handle will never come loose.
You don't need a tight fit, a little loose works even better. It's extremely useful for the odd shaped mounting eyes, badly casted/forged...
Easy to do, strong and reliable, but very easy to repair if you break the handle again : just heat it again and the broken bit comes right off.
Love it.

I'll give that glue technique some consideration for next time. Never tried glue before. I usually set them dry. Start the handle in the hole, then pick it up, and drive the handle home with another hammer while holding it. In my mind, it's ideal if some wood gets shaved off on the way home. If I've cut a slot in the top(or bought one that way), set a wood wedge, then pin it all together with a steel wedge.

Ha ha, whatever the day job is, donÂ’t give it up!

Kind of a Fred Flintstone type of affair, isn't it?

Just jokin, Ixskllr... I'm a huge fan of barbarian handles. I've got a little falling hatchet with a treebranch for a handle.

Hey, what's yer first name?

I had one of those days that makes you want to drink heavily at the end of the day. Not like a really long day make you want a beer kinda a day but more of a damn that was close day kinda day. It all went well but fer fuk sake. So have a pull and make it a long one I know I am.

Damn straight. If you can't chuckle and talk shit - what CAN you do!

Attachments

• Dance Of MY People 1.jpg
    Dance Of MY People 1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 32
Kind of a Fred Flintstone type of affair, isn't it?

Just jokin, Ixskllr... I'm a huge fan of barbarian handles. I've got a little falling hatchet with a treebranch for a handle.

Hey, what's yer first name?

John!

It's all cool. I don't expect design awards for the stuff I put together. It's good enough if it simply works. I'll post a pic of the oiler for my mill once I get the design tweaked. Y'all get a kick out of that. I've got about $1.30 into it so far, and it shows :^D

Started a new project. Got to put on a show for the customer's grandson. Climbed a dying fir and a hard-leaning madrone that are no more. He'll be back for more action tomorrow...school starts next week.

When I was a kid I used to love watching climbers. Not sure why it never occured to me to get into tree work.

I didn't know they existed until my long lost buddy drove by me in a Hi-Ranger as I was sitting on my front porch, drinking coffee in the morning, drawing unemployment from the Navy.

I always wondered what woulda happened if he'd drove down another street...

I went from $65 a week to $20 a day! WHOOT!

$20/day :^D

Funny when you think back on what you used to make. When I started surveying, I was hired at $3.50/hr. Between the interview and starting a week later, I got a $1.50/hr raise per company policy. Easiest raise I ever got :^D

I've been pretty aimless my whole life. I got into surveying cause I didn't want to work in a bakery anymore. Suited me well enough, and I stuck with it.

Back