How'd it go today?

Rich,have you been stung before? I seem to get stung at least once a year, sometimes more. A few times multiple stings at once. Never had any serious symptoms like that. But I have heard of it just "jumping on you" all of a sudden.

Got another solo project about wrapped up, underbid, unfortunately. Have a stub to pull over a little firewood left. Took a break mid-day to move chips out, to have an empty trailer for the loader, get mix-oil, mix some fuel, and decided while there, might as well replace my BR600 blower, stolen this last year, with a BR800. Beast of a blower.

Finished the second maple rig-down today. Three rigging ropes...first was rigged one lead off each end of the rope, shorty rope was one lead, and the other was three hitched in a row. The challenge was good. Landing zone was cozy. No problems.

Helped my neighbor buck his firewood. His log loader makes me laugh. It's POWERFUL. Easy for him to stack log for easy bucking. It's meant to load 40' logs onto log trucks. These firewood logs were nothing.

Yep the bee allergy dropped on me all of a sudden.

Cost me two days work this week, found nests on the job and had to pull out, no option.

I am ok with bees stings, but I react badly to wasps. Years of getting stung multiple times has made my body respond poorly. I have as a result been carrying epi-pens for a few years now.

I've been amazingly lucky with bees. Spent most of my life outside, and I'd guess my lifetime average is a sting every 5 years. I don't think it's ever been more than one at a time.

Getting to be the bad time of year for yellowjackets. You start seeing them more foraging, and they're especially surly.

Depends - if I am in a garden & near the truck I leave it there, otherwise it is in my bag nearby. It is really important that everyone who works with you knows where it is kept & tell them not to be scared to use it if needed.

I have never had to use it, but apparently the headache is quite special

Ok thanks, ive given them a tutorial, maybe it’s time for a refresher! It’s basically just to buy you some time to get to the real medics.

Yes I’ve been stung before and many of them multiples at once and by every type in my area. 31 hornets at once and 56 honey bee stings at once are the numbers I remember. I’ve been tore up bad at least a dozen times with out any side effects till the one lonesome asshole yellow jacket got in my shirt yesterday.
Everyone in the company is trained in first aid and cpr. The epi pen is part of that. We had a refresher this morning and the location is known by them.
And it’s just to buy you time before the ambulance arrives.

The offending nest was heavily saturated with bee spray by a coworker. Funny how there are still bees. He thought I was lying when I told him it wasn’t going to work on a ground nest. Gonna put the remainder of the mix gas down the hole tonight before our two days of meetings and classes.

I’m keeping one at home and one in the top of my lunch cooler. I keep a towel on top of what I want to keep cold so above that stays moderate.

In the past, in the wilderness, we had to keep them from getting too hot or freezing. In winter, we kept them on a necklace made out of a cord taped to a travel toothbrush case (breakaway) in our shirts. Easy way to have it right where you need it.

We (staff) had to pop an asthmatic kid a couple times with an epipen, IIRC, about 16 years ago. Backpacking in the mountains of southern Utah.

not Really worried about cold weather for bees. I’ve opened up a few hives in the winter by surprise. They don’t seem to alert. And honestly they have only been honey bees I’ve found when it’s cold. I try to save as many of them as possible, no matter the time of year. The rest of those stinging, biting assholes can burn in hell. Still over populated in my mind

Is it bad that since I have epi pens now, I really want a few of my coworkers to need me to stab them with one?

No it's not bad. Misery loves company.

The weird thing with me is that I went back and forth. Bees, Wasps, Hornet's bites never bothered me much at all, beyond the temporary, if nasty little, stinging pain. Then I turned 39 or 40 (I forget) and got stung by some Bald Face Hornets... my face swelled up like the elephant man. Turned 48 this summer :O... got stung by a Bald Face... no problem at all. Same with Bees... nothing. I can only wonder what swung around in my physiology. Super weird.

It can depend where you are stung I believe. Face and head will swell some with no allergy ime. But wasps and the such shouldn't cause much of a reaction elsewhere. I've been stung by bees of all sorts many times and recently was stung while riding my motorcycle. Little welt here or there from getting stung wherever, no big deal. But I've once had a pretty fat lip from getting stung in the face by a hornet.

Back