How'd it go today?

Picked up a 4 hour overtime before my 12 hour shift starts, plus call-in pay which is an extra 3 hours pay just to answer the phone and say yes. Training a new guy, that's pretty smart and almost ready to qualify, so he's doing all the work.
Hi-ho, hi-ho...

I got a quote request from a reference that I guess provided positive feedback. It feels good on a day that turned out rainy and slippery. Received my replacement climbing gear backpack under warranty. Simple yet satisfying stuff.

I pulled my 044 and 064 off the shelf, cleaned up the old bastardos a bit, and started them both. It's been a while since I needed the 064 with 32 inch bar for anything but humor. But I enjoy having them, running them now and again. Both started with no fuss at all. Good old saws.

Pleasant way to spend a couple of easy hours in the workshop...rainy here today, again :).

We had rain......then more rain. And even more rain. All winter.....rain.

Now, it's been 16 days without a drop. My pastures are looking a little dry.

Employee and I cleaned the work yard, painted log ends, moved logs, checked out the milling in progress, took a truck for tires, organized the storage area, etc. Going to do some work for a friend tomorrow morning, and start another job after that, or do some milling.

Went to look at a job, have to submit the bid. 12 trees, 2-150'x 40" Doug-fir...one faller and one dismantle, 3 smaller cedar fallers under 80', and some good sized maples, which happen to have mad burls on them. Some to-the-mill for sale logs, some for me.

Yesterday was a hell of a storm. I think we had tornadoes touch down in a few spots. Some of the damage is amazing. I’ve seen several properties with damn near $30k of work. And that’s just normal pricing. Pretty sad seeing properties where all the dead trees are standing and the live trees on the ground. Did a few local emergency jobs and I will do a few tomorrow. Not trying to rush around though. There will be plenty of trees to clean up over the rest of the season.

Plenty of storm work here. My crew hasn’t been on it much and that’s fine with me.
I felt like shit last night and woke up feeling ok. Should’ve called off. I made it till lunch and gave in. Fever and chills along with the aches and pains. Came home, took a shower, wrapped up in a blanket, and took a four hour long sweat nap. Hitting the shower again and gonna wrap up tight for the night. Hope this shit is gone.

That sucks. Usually climbing knocks the sickness right outta me but sometimes you gotta know when to quit. Feel better soon rich.

hydrate, Rich!! Hope you feel better.

Good to see you posting more, Page.
Sounds like time to upgrade to bigger equipment for the clean-up season.

Back