How'd it go today?

Cleaned up some tornado damage today. Decent sized Live oak had its top half twisted out and landed on the roof. Back yard tree but accessible with the Nifty Lift and the Avant. Surprisingly little damage to the roof; just a few rows of shingles torn loose.

Some days you eat the bear...
One good turnout to the set of circumstances was due to getting so late of a start, the neighbor on the other side was getting home and saw us working. We had already worked for the other neighbor, so we're making our way around the cul-de-sac. This neighbor wants an estimate on taking out 3 smaller black walnuts and doing a pretty thorough reduction on another large walnut in order to try to get some grass growth. So this may lead to some more needed Nov/December work we wouldn't have otherwise had!

Excellent!

Many times I've done work in an area and our noise/excellence was a good catalyst towards getting the neighbors out in their yards taking a look at their trees and talking to us.

The louder, the better, I say! Chipper really gets people's attention, as does the commanding height of the grapple crane providing the visual stimulus. We're a bit hard to miss when we set up shop in a neighborhood.

I love your dedication gp, i would have changed the tire, seen it was 330, and said ef it, we're going to the bar! :lol:

No, I meant more people are home on weekends. They'll wanna know what all the ruckus is and a lot of times they'll be asking you to look at their stuff.

LOL they are already hung on the house as of yesterday and they work just fine.
That little Kennedy box in the background is the one garbage picked from Eddy Schwinn.

I used to go through all the conniptions of raingear and worksite coverage...now retired, I just wait for better weather :D.

What? No raingear??? :?
Had to use ours for the afternoon here.

Took down a large mulberry in a backyard. Power company had the line clearance guys take down a few limbs over the power lines, so there was already a mess there to greet us. Pulled it over (despite big backweight over the neighbor's fence) using the GRCS... Lots of big wood in the back had to be forwarded to the front yard so the log grapple truck could get at it. Had to use the log arch + winch line combo to get everything out. Time to seriously consider a mini skid! Stump grinding is going to be a bear on this one -- 4' diameter + root flare.

Then pruning a Siberian elm, also in the backyard. Then had to go dump at 4 pm before the chip dump closed, then back before 5 to start chipping up the pin oak trimmings out front. Took a few limbs off of over the roof of the house. Ran out of daylight and the oak was too slippery to climb safely, but got all the grapple/crane work done so we could pack it up with its load of mulberry logs. Left a climbing rope in the tree; back in the morning for a few more limbs on the front side.

Picked up some kinda cherry and madrone logs, plus the dirty raking from a job in a neighborhood's park for the HOA.

Some pruning, some removal, some grinding.
Some felling, some climbing.

Dead madrone with triple-hinge and loader-push didn't want to hold, so I ended up stripping a limb if a neighboring tree, which wasn't a big deal.

I'm amassing a lot of logs and firewood quickly.

Another dead, dry madrone tomorrow. Climber, over the fence, then feeling a bunch of small dead trees and one green hazard tree, cabled 30 years ago, no upkeep... Kinda three times as tall as it was 30 years ago.

Straps too thin.

Wood was still greenish.

IMG_20181106_142723891.jpg

Back