How'd it go today?

... crispy dead live oaks
Sounds like quite the juxtaposition -- dead live oaks. What killed them?

I've pruned a couple in Mobile, Alabama -- never had to do a removal on one (but did put in a bid for one with a 60+ foot wide canopy). There, within city limits they were protected and you had to get a permit to work on each one, and also have the city certified arborist come out and tell you which limbs you could take off.
:/:

Drought, mistletoe infestation causing embolism and over crowding killed them in poor soils.
No permit needed. Most of the work I do is on private acreage.
These are Interior Live Oaks.Quercus wislizeni. See of I can find a crispy picture for you.

A day of pruning -- 3 jobs today, so comparatively lighter duty, with a lot more shade work.
1). Prune a hackberry growing over a fence line and toward a busy road. It was right next to what must be a champion Ginkgo tree, biggest I've ever seen -- older than 80 years by far, 4 1/2 foot diameter trunk. I'll post pics to the Champion Trees thread.
2). Deadwood 2 red oaks, thin out a hybrid maple, remove black locust limbs over the house roof. All over a koi pond and trinket-filled back yard, so we had to take things small & slow.
3). Remove 2 dead limbs and a couple of hangers from a tulip poplar.

I don’t like to eat when it’s hot but I manage to choke down a sammich and follow that with a quart of fruit. I go through a five pound bag of frozen fruit a week this time of year. Semi thawed by lunch. A nice cool treat.

I'd figure out a way to lose the base and attach it (removable of course) to the machine so it would move with you.

I'll weld some mounts on the chipper, but the base it has will be good for milling, keep the saw and me out of the sun when not cutting.

P1310978.jpg

Stump grinding day today was successful -- raced through 5 jobs, no issues despite showing 100 degrees F on the bank signs as I drove by... So now I am caught up on the week's removals, none to do over the weekend. Also managed to check out 2 champion trees along the way today: the national [and probably world] champion Rock Elm (not huge at only 39 ft), and the state champion shagbark hickory -- biggest one I've ever seen. I'll post pics to the Champion Tree thread.

Great Peter.

Working in shade is better for you and the machine. A guy who did/ did Granberg milling demos said rain is best for milling, less challenge. Wetting down hot dry Dusty worksites is a help, too.

Had a great day. My first real Friday off since I told them they get four days out of me. I got up and cooked breakfast for the family and an extra pound of sausage links that I took over to the fire station. I did less than two hours of work for them( just some mowing clearance stuff) and earned a free hall rental. They were happy and I’m happy. I will probably be donating more time to them also. Can’t hurt to help them out in case I ever need them. Sold and loaded a few black walnut logs and then mowed the lawn. All before lunch. Spent the rest of the day playing with the kids. Life is good

Spent the rest of the day playing with the kids. Life is good
That's what it's all about, isn't it? I took my little 9-year-old Forest Keeper with me grinding today. We went on the champion tree hunt together in the afternoon, he took pictures of me stump grinding, and took out some mulberry saplings with his Swiss Army knife's saw. Forging some memories, amongst the busyness of life!

P1320057.jpg

I climbed for the first time since my accident today.
Went down to one of the southern islands and did a take down for a neighbour to a friend.
A local company had given her a ridiculous quote to do it, so my buddy called me and asked if I'd drive all the way down and look at it.
Pulled it off for a fourth of what they wanted and still made out fine, with travel time paid for and all.

Medium size pine, no lowering. No clean up, just everything cut to firewood lengths.
Also climbed and dropped a birch for her neighbour " Since I was there anyway" ( How often do you get that one?:lol:)

Took me 3 hours and the wrist held out fine:)
I was probably half an hour slower than normally, not too bad.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G_BtiJ8RNg0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw them back in the 70's - they had security almost shoulder to shoulder keeping people 20' from the stage.

Back