How'd it go today?

Holy smokes! So, so glad your mate and you are ok. It is truly amazing what people manage to walk away from
When we are on the road at a crash scene with my road resscue unit, it is incredible how many people don't or won't slow down coming up to and passing the scene.

Now, how many people knew that 'Parsnip Rash' is a thing?

I have been house-sitting for a friend over the weekend with my mumm, the have a veggie garden and have some parsnips growing. Parsnips are difficult to grow in Bermuda so I dug two of them up.
I noticed a redness and irritation yesterday, then while at work today I started to develop blisters everywhere on my hands and wrists, and where I had kneeled on the foliage.
Apparently the sap is phytomtoxin and sunlight sets it off.
I look like an Aboriginal with all the calamine on my arms and legs...shit, first elderberry now f'ing PARSNIPS!

Apparently a bunch of species in the carrot family have photoreactive compounds. There's an invasive plant called giant hogweed that is way more potent. Beware of apiaceae

Chasing $$$

Man, Stig. Hope all is getting better. Mathias was in one of the videos you posted to the Patron Saint of Bore Cutters, no? We saw a pretty bad accident coming home from Clinton Lake this evening, right at the park entrance. I'm sure it was a terrible ending to an otherwise pleasant picnic!

I worked today, despite being Memorial Day when most people are out boating/picnicking. Our estimator was able to find a few people home to give a couple of quotes to. Other 2 fellows were at the woodlot doing maintenance. So I went out wrapping up some removals with some stump grinding in the 100 degree heat. Textbook ash stump was no problem, maybe half an hour. But the next one, ooh la la! It was in the city right-of-way in front of a man's house -- Asplundh had removed the tree for him since it was directly under the power lines and was dying back. Instead of waiting a month or two for the city to come grind it with their tow-behind grinder which they pull with a tractor, he opted to have us do it, since we would do it to his specifications. Because he wanted to turn it into a landscaped flower bed, he wanted not just the stump ground -- but every root as well. Chasing roots will definitely cost you! In this case, it wound up being basically the whole square past the sidewalk, about 25' x 12', which I ground down 4" to eliminate all roots. All told, it was close to a 4 hour stump & surface grind. At least he won't have to get a tiller out to work the bed, he got that effect with the total grinding. I wound up making 1/4 of what the whole crew makes on a big takedown, so that felt good -- especially for a holiday!

Now, how many people knew that 'Parsnip Rash' is a thing?

I have been house-sitting for a friend over the weekend with my mumm, the have a veggie garden and have some parsnips growing. Parsnips are difficult to grow in Bermuda so I dug two of them up.
I noticed a redness and irritation yesterday, then while at work today I started to develop blisters everywhere on my hands and wrists, and where I had kneeled on the foliage.
Apparently the sap is phytomtoxin and sunlight sets it off.
I look like an Aboriginal with all the calamine on my arms and legs...shit, first elderberry now f'ing PARSNIPS!

Stinging Parsnip can be really bad, so much worse than poison ivy, itchy painful open weeping rash. It feels like a wasp sting at first.

Holy shit Stig! I am glad is wasn't worse!

I didn't know we have such species in Europe. I though that the "poison something" was reserved to the americans:D
Bad luck !
How about to hit unknowingly a bunch of that with a weedwacker ?
Awful.

Wild parsnip looks like wild parsley too...apparently it is already in Bermuda, wonder how many people get the reaction and have no idea where it came from.
Think I'm going to pay a visit to the newspaper...

Too bad, I broke my Maasdam yesterday.
I wanted to drag my little chipper up in the trailer. When I was puling out the slack, clic clic clac : the ratchet on the body broke in two, sending away the small coiled spring and the little release touch. No load at all on it hopefully, it would have been annoying.

The crack has a strange pink shade. It looks like it's made with a sintered metallic powder, not the best way for a part like that.

It isn't gonna work with only one ratchet now. Lastly, the leaf spring of the arm's ratchet went bad with a fatigue break and the spool got to much play on the main axle to my liking. The end of its career seems to have ringed.
Looking for a new one now. A bit pricey in Europe though, but it's worth it.

I know, you can get two for about the same price, I saw that on ebay, but the shipping cost and import taxes raise it seriously. My now dead one came from Wesspur maybe 8 or 10 years ago. Basically, I won my 66' rope, but now it's no more the case.

Just read this, that bike stuff is terrifying, I'm just glad everyone is still with us, I've known a few who aren't anymore :(

I also am slow to get here, and read of Mathias' bike wreck. Very glad to hear the outcome, Stig. Wow, that could have been so easily much worse. Give him my regards, please.

Google didn't show me Amazon.uk but I'm still disappointed : the good prices come directly from USA but they can't make a few hundred kilometers more to reach my house, the other mid and high range prices are from UK sellers, some with a strange "manufactured in China;3/4 Ton Capacity USA Made ",

There is an Amazon.fr but it looks like a small shop beside Amazon.com, only one item listed.

I ordered one at a german treeguys shop
https://shop.freeworker.fr/maasdam-rope-puller.html

I looked at amazon.com and pushed it until the check out. Interesting prices, but basically, that doubles to get it at my door.
So I have two in the way. We'll see witch one comes first:/:

Spent the last couple days dropping crispy dead live oaks with large spreads with no safe exits, then wincing the brush and logs out of the rocks on a pond dam. Get to prune a live one tomorrow. Maybe get over this twitch making me look up and over my shoulder every so often.

Back