How'd it go today?

I was quite excited about the eggs...I need a life...

Butch, yes. He has pre-done lessons to look through, but I usually send in something I've been working on of my own and he sends back a response giving suggestions or corrections.

this is Darol one of my instructors...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JUFNObQ-s5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most of us on here are in the same boat.

:lol::lol: Ohhh, speak for yourself Mick... I only check about 20 times after I post something to see if anyone's watching. :toothy8:

Today sucked. BOTH of my ground guys decided not to come in today, so I had to go "help" another foreman. At least he's a really good guy.

It's ironic, man... I try to go as easy as I can on my guys... but I notice: the hard-nose foremen who drive thier guys super hard... man, it's the weirdest thing... their guys always come in. It's like they respect them more or something.

Man, you can go to training for weeks just to scratch the surface on leadership. Different types, different sources of respect.

Thats were I am, been to weeks of training. Still trying to figure it! Usually I am the biggest guy on the scene, so I am in charge!

Sorry Jed, but I know what you mean. When my crew does that and I get sent to help, it is miserable. The other foreman have to fluff their feathers and question everything while the others get nothing but confusion. If my crew calls off, I'd rather stay home.
Tomorrow is looking like a load of fun. Since the bosses are on vacation, and can't schedule things, I got a headache. Three crews have cancelled jobs. They called and can't touch anything till Thursday. By policy the foreman get to work. I have a big technical removal to do and want my crew. I'm gonna hear all kinds of crap when the bosses get home. Looks like a seven man crew tomorrow.

Great day yesterday, turned to crap tonight. That and I'm a bit stressed about the removal that starts tomorrow. I measured, hoping for a crane, 6 months ago. 210' radius plus a full road closure. Not gonna happen. I was told a sky hook was outta the question( I tried). 50" DBH white oak over a deck that cost more than my annual income, plus the house. All under story trees and bushes are to remain unharmed. I guess I should be feeling honored. The arborist that has taken care of the place for 26 years, requested my boss because of my record for big technical crap. I would much rather trim the ornamentals along the road way. This tree is beyond its prime. I've offered to reduce it and explained it has plenty of years left before it's unsafe. No luck. The owner wants a full removal. Even the high price didn't change his mind. Honestly it's going to be the most technical I've done without the assistance of a crane. And the bosses are 1000 miles away living it up. I'm not real happy at the moment. That and I had to tell 7 other guys to take a day off tomorrow.

Geeze, that does not sound good. If you think it can be done without safety being compromised, then I would say go to it.

But if you dont have what you need to do it safe, people or equipment, I dont see how you can continue. Nobody knows better than you what you need to be safe.

Just an outsider's perspective.

I can do it safely. Just very stressful. We purposely waited till this time of year to be able to have full view of everything and so the damn flowers were done. Just don't break a limb off of anything else. When I get down to 20 feet, I might be cutting 1 1/2" cookies and handing them down to climbers below me. I don't know. Drop zone is basically a 3 foot wide brick walkway 15' from the trunk with a few spaces to step between bushes. I guess the good news is, if I can pull this off, I can name my price. Bad news is I'll probably get more of this work.

Leadership is tricky and there are so many different personalities out there. I think it's natural for some and impossible for others, kinda like trying to teach a nerd to have command presence. You can google " jjdidtiebuckle " . Some basic principles I had Drilled into me

You should be able to name your crew for a job like that

I did. Plus the other foreman who, by policy, I have to work.
It will go well. Nervous tension right now. Hopefully can name my price afterwards.

Googled it. Will read up later. Lots of respect for the source. Thank you

Back