How'd it go today?

That was the first time I ever ran a backhoe. My sisters horse was struck by lightning north of the house.

Grandpa said learn how to run the backhoe, and bury it. I think I was 9 or 10. He was a neat little indian pony. Bugger would bite once in a while though.

Sorry again Justin, good luck with your job.

Thanks everyone.

Big Chiefy never bit or kicked any of us not once. No vices, no bad behaviours. Hot when out doing his thing but still able to do trails or throw my daughter up on him with no worries.

I groomed every inch of that horse yesterday as he'd made a mess of himself down and rolling and even in extreme pain he never once made a move that could've harmed me.

I sure wish we'd gotten some more years with him, but it wasn't meant to be.

Yep, its always the good ones that go first. Seems that way anyhow.

My rotten old horse will probably outlive me. Must be something to the rumor that the grouchy live the longest!

Ole Chiefy sounded like a swell horse. Sounds like he had a good home too.

You should get some Guinea hens. Best guard dogs in the world! Plus they eat snakes and bugs. You can probably eat them when they die as well.

Yup, those are good.
As alarm system.
But, living within 1½ miles of the largest refugee center in Denmark, I don't want an alarm system.
I want something that'll rip an arm of an nightly intruder, and bring it to me for praise.

Sam works pretty good that way.

I am sure, I told you about those two unlucky fellows, who walked down a quarter mile driveway in the dark of a winter night ( and, belive me, those are DARK, here), tried to jammy my truck open, and made enough noise to wake Sam.
Didn't turn out so well for them. A quarter mile is a long run in the dark, with a 90 pds dog hanging from a butt cheek.

I believe it may be Mick.

Easy day. Medium sized dead ash, right next to the drive way. Neighbor offered his drive (at the time of the estimate) for the chipper. The stump guy showed up early which was right as we finished moving wood. Perfect. Ordered calipers and rotors for both axles on the chip truck. Fun little project for this week. Maybe next weekend.

The woman that we worked for baked us fresh cookies for coffee break and sent a plateful home with each of us. Little old ladies are great customers

Last edited:
Nope, as long as you don't covet his ass, you are golden.

Jim, Sam is very nice and friendly when I'm around.
Likes kids, especially little girls, kittens and other dogs.
That is his Alsatian side.
The Pyreneean side is a bit darker, he guards the truck and property fiercely when I'm not there, and will attack when told to.

I've had a couple of those dual personality dogs, and I like them very much.

Old Jack was ½ alsatian and ½ Riesen schnauzer.
That translated to a good buddy to everyone he knew and those I ok'ed and pretty much a direwolf to intruders or those who acted theatening.
Had it been him going after those two idiots, we could have gathered the pieces in a couple of plastic bags and left the rest for the crows.

One of my two best dogs, ever.

When he was still alive, I was doing a job in inner Copenhagen. Came in, as is my wont, at 6 in the morning to beat morning traffic and parked the truck and chipper, figuring I'd walk down the street looking for a parking spot.
As I stepped out of the truck, a guy came out of the building with a large Doberman on a leash.
When it saw me, it turned into a raving thing. Pretty much a set of teeth, with a dog attached.
I realized that the guy thought I was frightened of it, and was enjoying the hell out of the situation, so I turned around, opened the truck door, and told him: " If you want to plat that game, fine. But buddy, you are over matched!" Jack, Sam and Lev were sitting there, just waiting for me to say go.
He shortened up the leash, and walked away, without a word.

For me a dog is a good buddy, but also a protector of hearth and home.

Sorry Justin, Sorry Jomo for your losses. A twisted stomach got Rupert last spring. I learned tall dog should eat from ground level like other dogs.

Sorry to hear about all the animals going to the great resting place...it's never easy.

Right, 5 ton Tirfor...I'll pass, I remember how awkward the small ones were, no way I could handle one that big, you are right guys!

Off to horse Valhalla, Chief. Nothing but rolling green hills of belly tall grass in late spring weather.

Sorry for your loss, Justin.

Sorry to hear your loss Justin.
When I was about 12 years old my Arabian quarter horse turned sick on a winter day when it turned 50 below.
I put him in our unheated barn for protection. Only trouble was I tied his halter to the mainger post. When he couldn't get up the barn rats got to him.
Changed my life forever....

Thanks for the well wishes. What's done is done. Chief will never be forgotten but it's time to move forward.

My daughter buries her grief and only grieves privately. That worries me some but for better or worse that is how she deals with something like this. She said her goodbyes to him without shedding a tear.

Probably the wrong thread to have posted this all in and I don't want to dwell on it any longer. I'd rather read from others, "how'd it go today".

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

My horse was pretty old and didn't survive the night. Can't say the rats killed him but they chewed holes into him, probably after he died.
Found him in the morning frozen solid in the stable with his front legs in the mainger .

Edit: just noticed we posted at the same Justin. ......yes time to move on and back to regular programming :D

Back