How'd it go today?

Buying a Jasper next one. First pull the unit down and see what failed and see if we have to do over. New Jasper comes with a 3 year/100000 warranty. Local company with national backing doing the install. Dude that did the last swap was a small local shop that is now going broke and has no shop insurance. Screwed we are on this one. I can sue for nothing... I can make the same point for free with word of mouth. I will probably make enough money in the same time it takes to run a legal case thorough to buy a whole different truck and tranny. Some ass holes are just not worth the time.
Still have two trucks running and plenty of work. One climber leaving for 10 days and then comes back.
Other climber leaves for two weeks to be with his family after that. Two trucks will carry us until I can get what I need sorted out.
Just a matter of patience on my part. Probably buy another truck after the first of the year if I find the right deal anyway.

Being a highly;) trained mechanic who was and is in the biz sorta, I can say this is one industry that a person does not always get what they pay for.

I was not witness to a lot of mechanics that would do the "right" thing if they were not forced too. Sad, but sometimes stereotypes are accurate.

Hope the next shop treats you better Stephen. If you can afford the freight, I have a very good "TreeHouse" discount! :)

I can't believe my buddy's Ford truck didn't have a dipstick for his transmission. He paid 2500 bucks getting it fixed!

How'd it go today?
This is how it went!
image.jpg
Actually it was a pretty sweet locust that had never been touched before. I should have taken some before and after shots cause it looks like a whole new tree. Years of deadwood and storm damage everywhere. Great TIP's though, I could realy get out on to the ends of every branch. I feel like it's been a while since I did a real nice prune. Usually just crashing out removals

Nasty thorns on those Page. We had a crew doing a removal on one today. One of the groundmen came back in all bloody. Guessing he's the one that chipped today.
My crew had a decent day. Took out a co-Dom elm and then picked up some wood from a ROW clearing this summer. Property owners wanted the wood till they realized they can't move it deals. Kind of irritating but we get to send another bill since we have signed paperwork saying they agreed to keep it.
Oh I did watch 3 does forage around for a while as I waited on the ground crew to process stuff.

I think this is the one. Correct me if I'm mistaken please, Al.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?10006-038-mild-port-job
That was the 038 Av ,B .

The best one is the 038 Magnum I got from Rocky J .The AV runs just fine but the mag really shines but bear in mind I've never did good over the blocks racing it ---because it wasn't made for that .I couldn't find the thread on the mag when I looked the other night .

Oh Lawdy it's been ages since I tweeked a saw .Saved a Partner/McCulloch 100 cc is about all in the last 2-4 years and it isn't right yet .

Wow, Page.
Here I was feeling sorry for myself, because I got blowed out of a Dog felling job and went to clean birch out of some oak plantings, totally overgrown with brambles.
I literally had to cut my way through that shit.
My hands and neck look like I've tried to rape a wild cat without getting it drunk first.

But seeing that locust thorn makes me think, I actually had a pleasant day in the woods.

Well yesterday I learned a new mechanical procedure. Did the plugs in my buddy's '06 5.4l and yup two busted in the head. The 'extracting' was a lot easier than the interwebs would've had me believe. Seems like all I do recently is mechanical. Just finished up the whole front end rebuild on my '03 f350 last week.

No my friend had to buy it. If it wasn't needed. He could've returned it. As it was used it now resides in my toolchest. My best bud from high school , the only other person who has free run of my shop. We both help each other with mechanical work and do a fair bit of flipping vehicles, quads, and whatnot.

Wrenching is a lot easier with two sets of experienced hands, together we're pretty much an unstoppable mechanical team.

We were just discussing the 5.4 at work today .Here's what they say .Fire it and let it warm up .Real quick like if you can back the plugs off about a quarter turn then fire it up once more .Once it's good and hot screw them out .I've never worked on one so I really don't know if that works or not .

I had a good day, had a seasoned operator, and huge trees. Even with 20 more trees added today I should be all done up here tomorrow afternoon. Only bad thing is the woods is so small and the trees so big that it almost looks like a clear cut

We were just discussing the 5.4 at work today .Here's what they say .Fire it and let it warm up .Real quick like if you can back the plugs off about a quarter turn then fire it up once more .Once it's good and hot screw them out .I've never worked on one so I really don't know if that works or not .

I've heard so many different ways to go about it I started to lose track. 99-03 5.4's have the weak/lacking threads so the concern is pulling/stripping threads on either the removal or replacement of the plugs. I did mine a year and half ago in my '03 5.4 with no issues. The 04-07(or sometime in '08) have improved(more) threads but Ford sourced or was supplied a two piece plug. Carbon deposits glue the bottom part of the plug into the head and snapola when you remove them. Once the newer one piece style plugs are installed it should never be an issue again.

Cory I don't know about a career but I do enjoy mechanical work, the problem solving involved is not altogether unlike tree work.

Picked up two endless pullers at the net auction here, one auction offering both. $250 and no competing bids. Strange, competition is usually hot for them. No cable though. More tree pull jobs than anything else lately.

Attachments

• yaya_youhei-img600x446-14491354311449135431.13959090kwecdn9090.jpg
    yaya_youhei-img600x446-14491354311449135431.13959090kwecdn9090.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 38
They are excellent, Gary, have used them a lot and find them invaluable. Around 2 inches of cable travel per stroke with the handle in either direction, so they take up slack pretty quick. You can pull the cable through by hand quickly until you encounter resistance, then flip a lever to engage to pull. Baking off is a lot easier than with coiled cable pullers, just put the handle on the other tang and it works in reverse. Have yet to ever notice any slip.

Cool find, Jay. I used a big one for trail work for boulders a bit, and to pull a tree out of the trail tread. No cutting, just leverage. Super powerful. Had a load-limiting shear pin.

Did you figure a way to deal with the fast pull needed for dead pine back-leaners, Jay?

That is an excellent score, Jay.
Used my small one today to lift a 2½-3 ton piece of beech tree off a roof.
Over did it and broke the safety pin.
That you can do that and the winch stays locked is one of it's best features.

Back