How'd it go today?

You can get an exception sometimes if you have to spend over a certain amount to comply. But usually, it is. CA is a PITA as far as emissions.
They are really currently picking on diesel right now. SO if you have a earlier than 1999 commercial vehicle or equipment, machinery, it will soon be not allowed unless you upgrade to the standard they dictate. Basically damn near forcing you into new kit. That includes farm equipment..
I know guys that basically have to sell their kit out of state and shut down because they can't afford to start over.

Same sort of deal here, even worse inside London. If I want to take my main work truck into London (About 60 miles away) I have to pay £250 per day for the privilege. To avoid paying that I would need to upgrade to a 2010 or newer truck. Mine is a 2000, has its little quirks but never breaks down. It will be emissions regs that force it off the road,and it will get exported to Africa where it will go on for another 50 years........

We finally managed to find an apprentice.
Tried 3 out and dumped them, before getting this one.
21 years, college educated, non-smoker.
We did the usual " so you want to be a climber, then lets see if you can climb" thing on him and dragged his ass up a nice free standing beech with an outstanding view. It is a tree that has been on my list of stuff to climb for some time, because of the view.
Then we had tea and brownies up there and talked things over.

Apart from being winded from the ascent, the climb didn't faze him at all.
So there should be a good chance of making him into a good arbo.
Now we'll have to see how he takes to logging.

P1030342.JPG P1030352.JPG P1030355.JPG P1030358.JPG

Well good luck with that, I hope he doesn't express an admiration for the early music of Carlos Santana or wear the wrong colour socks one day and ruin everything!
We knocked out a fell/grind by 3pm then fixed the bent gate from last week, re-fitted it and slapped some paint on.
Customer was satisfied so another insurance claim avoided.

Stig, if you don't mind my asking, what were the things that got the first three out of four prospects eliminated from contention? Just curious to know what the deal-breakers were.

Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give.

Tim

Good luck with him Stig. I hope he works out.
Peter, my new to me chipper is illegal if I take it out of the county I am in.
Fortunate thing is, they really NEED these dead trees gone. Mariposa does not check. But I am pretty sure there is a California Highway Patrol out there somewhere gonna try and prove himself someday :/:

giphy.gif

Stig, if you don't mind my asking, what were the things that got the first three out of four prospects eliminated from contention? Just curious to know what the deal-breakers were.

Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give.

Tim

Two were smokers.
If a young person takes up tobacco smoking, it means he is stupid. Everybody knows by now what that shit'll do to you.
I won't work with stupid people.
Also they stink.

I asked one of them to send the MS661 up to me in a tree and start it first. He couldn't pull the starter handle out. Not good for a would be logger. We don't let them bring nanny with them to the woods to start their saws for them.
Cruel, I know.

The 3rd had been pulled over by the cops after this year's Roskilde festival and tested positive for cannabis, so he was due to go to court in November and told us he'd lose his license for at least a year.
The cannabis thing I'm cool with. Everybody smokes at a rock festival and the rules for testing are ridiculous. Smoke a joint and 3 days later you can test positive.
But there is no way we can have somebody w/o a driver's license working for us.
Guy was up front aboput it and pretty much knew it wouldn't wash.

Mick, I like Carlos Santana. Europe is one of my favourite pieces of non classical music.
Man, me not wanting to work with smokers sure has pissed you off.

We did the usual " so you want to be a climber, then lets see if you can climb" thing on him and dragged his ass up a nice free standing beech with an outstanding view. ...Then we had tea and brownies up there and talked things over.

Best interview ever! :lol:

Unpacked from camping early this morning and then became familiar with my HAAS. Gonna have to say thank you Mike for making that piece of gear. Why did I wait so long to purchase one of these? Then went over to my parents for a cookout. Swam with the kids. My youngest ( just turned 3 a week ago) is getting better at her swimming. Wearing a life vest but getting the motions down. Gonna spend the next few hours playing with the kids before I get packed for a week of out of town work. Only an hour and forty five minute drive each way but we will be pulling 12's. Better off staying in a hotel than driving back and forth.

That drive time avoided is rest time for Daddy..taking care of Daddy is taking care of those kids. Good luck on a tough week.

Done with the climbing work at the preschool. Six 100' sticks to fell, still. A big deck accumulated thanks to a mini-x, and some skills by the op. The biggest logs we had to cut to 16'10", the shortest the mill will take. a lot of 26'10, and some 40'10". One load of 40's went out.

I'm excited for the payout on 3-4 loads, in a week an a half. Time to reinvest in some gear, and Rx safety glasses for my employee. Cheaper than I expected through Walmart. $9-40, he said, after going in for an eye exam today.

Being bothered with the typical old age disability to do anything like read or file a chain without wearing glasses, I'm actually pretty tolerant of poor eye sight.
But on the other hand, I won't tolerate red hair on a crewmember.

:lol: (on Mick's comment)
Hey Jed!!!!!!! How fast can you get to Fresno lake? Its in Hill county, North Central Montana.

We might go to the lake this afternoon. Sunny and 60 degrees.
Not fast enough Jim. (apparently :|:) On the other hand... the REASON that I didn't see this offer in time is because I was trying to help some buddies of mine put up some new doors on our guest cabin in the backyard. Listen man.... SERIOUSLY... it ain't much (I'll try to post some pics in a couple days) but you and yours are more than welcome out this way, should you need a place to lay your heads if you ever feel like you could be up for taking on some REAL fish. (Or for any other reason whatsoever.)

STIG!: Now THAT'S what I'm talking about... Nice pics :rockon: Nice Beach. Son of a Beach!

Stephen: VERY good truck.

Small removals today... unnamed-100.jpg

Scotty's not doing well. Couldn't go see him because they had to airlift him to Portland because his lungs are so bruised that he can't breathe on his own anymore... They apparently have some fancy machine down there. Anyway.... that doesn't bode well. Know more in a cupla days. Interminable safety meetings tomorrow... (They have to fly all kinds of corporate big-whigs in from the East, so that they can be sure that we know how to tie a double fisherman's instead of a bowline. :drunk:

Sorry to hear the bad news. I can't remember the big wig safety directors name. I just met him this spring at some BWC meeting.

Back