How'd it go today?

Not the type of work I like to do, but since I had the rigging gear I took it on, since the HO is a real estate/property manager type, hope to get some climbing work in the future. 6 standing dead ash trees, no more than 8 inchs diameter, all leaning towards neighbouring yards, at least 30deg. Maasdam really made easy work, HO's dog was no help, neighbours dog over the fence just wanted to play. Had 2 other jobs next door but I stopped sweating despite liquids, called it quits for the day. Going work in the shop.

IMG_20150902_101859.jpg IMG_20150902_102615.jpg IMG_20150902_103537.jpg IMG_20150902_103634.jpg

Finished up a two day job, nice people, good money. They wrote the cheque out, I loaded the gear we drove out of the garden. I negotiated the tight turn ok in the chip truck. The lad had the tractor on the trailer, so I hopped out to make sure he managed it. I lost interest for a bit and he hit the metal gate. Twisting it up.
We going to try and fix/weld/get out of an insurance claim. Worst part is.....all my fault.

I was meant to be keeping an eye on him, it was tight and I had jumped out of mine to see him out.
Plus EVERYTHING that happens on site from crushed roses to clients wives falling pregnant (after the husband has had a vasectomtomy) is my responsibility.

Nah I'm joking, it did happen to a landscaper mate of mine. His client's wife got busy with one of his sun bronzed wheel barrow operators, client tried to knock him down on price because of it!

Cleared one side of the county bridge project today. Hot and humid and a bitchy ground crew. I even used a zip line to get the stuff right to the chipper for them. Get to do it again tomorrow. Nothing but fun

Aren't all ground crews bitchy, Rich?

Had a nice easy Maple today with all day money on it... unnamed-96.jpg unnamed-93.jpg

And then the moment we had it all finished, the boss calls us up with another rooftop, bucket tree. (Sweetgum)
Took it all off the roof with the bucket, then hung a bull rope in it--it leaned hard toward the Jack-in-the-box--cut a sizwheel into the stump and pulled it into the parking lot. unnamed-95.jpg
unnamed-94.jpg

Yeah... everyone else always has the "easier" job. :lol:

Nothing changes Man... I don't care if you're in MI or WA or Madagascar. :lol:

I spent about 6 hours digging an up rooted maple out of chest deep needles and thorns. But when I thought all was lost I found a ground bee nest and I tell you what thorns ain't even noticed when running from them. Only one guy got stung and of course he is the only one alergic so we had to run him to the hospital pretty quick. But all bad aside I'm really learning the crew and the links are falling in place.

I'd rather climb than ground pound.

Funny how resistant some hot groundie are to letting the house run on their heads and necks to cook down. Climbers can't.

Under normal circumstances we have the easier job, gravity is on our side, plus we can stop on the pretext of thinking about stuff, they've never got a reason. Always something to pick up. Or some asshole boss climber glaring down at them if they stop moving (me)

Plus at least we can take breathers while they process the branches. Climbers dictate the pace of the work.
If we've got a bug up our ass they suffer.

I know it's not "easier" in the sense that you can be a competent groundie on day one of the job, which you can't as a climber.
But you know what I mean.

Back