How'd it go today?

I'd rather climb any day over dragging brush. But to be told I have the easy job when I set the zip line to put things right in the chipper it kinda pissed me off. Off to do it again though. Today I get to fly around on my magic carpet though.

Lol to both of you guys...

Rich: You definitely make a solid point about intentionally messing with stupid zip-line stuff (always slower) just to make their job easier.
Mick: LOL! at, "stop and rest on the pretext of thinking about something." I've caught myself doing that so much lately.

Started limbing out a dead Red Pine yesterday, third step up spurs sank almost to my ankle in rot. Took a little weight off the backside, but we can't rig off it, or even pull the top I don't think. . . I'm going to get a dozer out on the beach to set a pull line.

Lol to both of you guys...

Rich: You definitely make a solid point about intentionally messing with stupid zip-line stuff (always slower) just to make their job easier.
Mick: LOL! at, "stop and rest on the pretext of thinking about something." I've caught myself doing that so much lately.

IMO, shipping stuff is faster a lot of times if you have to rig it, and sometimes even if you don't. 15-20 slings keeps you chugging along.

Zip was definately faster as everything yesterday would've ended up down in a creek. Shied them how to use the winch to lift the speed line to raise the wood from the bottom. Left the last spar long and was able to put it in the only spot between stumps. The uphill side was easy today. Taking an extended lunch now as a reward for knocking out a three day job in one and a half

Dropped a death sentense on a 300+ year old maple today.
I did my yearly walk through the park at the castle with the owners, pointing out the hazards that I have found.
That maple is most likely one of the oldest here, ( Acer Pseoduplatanus is not a native species) and was brought home from France by one of the present owner's acestors.
It has a bad case of Dryad's saddle Polyporus Squamosus that has been ongoing for a while.
Now it has finally got to the point where it has to go. Lots of side weight over a much used lawn.
Tough call to make, but at least we have gotten to the point where I don't get any arguments when I tell them it is final.

There is a lot of ripple in the first 2 feet of the log, if it is not totally hollow, I should get something for the lathe out of it. Silver lining and so on.

Spent the afternoon looking at a job removing vegetation ( Bushes, small trees) from a protected bog for the Forest service (Always good to see my tax dollars hard at work, especially when I can earn some of them back).

It would be a perfect job for a high line, but no-one here has one, so we'll just have to hire some grunts and carry everything out. Even an ATV will bog down ( Literally) in there.
Bit of a shitty job, but the money is ok.

In my experience you hardly ever get real good money for shitty jobs. The kind of jobs that basically takes an ability to work hard and nothing else.
So "OK" is actually fine in this case.

Best money I make is by logging and that is my favourite kind of work.
That is hard work, too, but it is your skill that makes the good money.

In my experience you hardly ever get real good money for shitty jobs. The kind of jobs that basically takes an ability to work hard and nothing else.
So "OK" is actually fine in this case.

Best money I make is by logging and that is my favourite kind of work.
That is hard work, too, but it is your skill that makes the good money.

Interesting, I find my best money is made by removal+grinding for middle class people in suburban gardens.

Stig: Pics!!!! You envy American soil. Ahhh you stupid dog!!! Albeit a Great Dane. I envy Danish, Viking soil. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ya know? (Pics or it didn't happen. O.k?)

Sean and Rich: O.k.... I'll admit that there are times when the zip could be faster. I can be a bit of an ass about the subject because I, personally hate using the method. Dumb reason to denounce the entire practice, I know....

Oh... and today sucked. I just absolutely hate pruning for rich people. I'll spare you all the pics.

What do you hate?

For my dealings, often there is stuff beneath the crown of the tree to avoid, so SLing saves rigging time, landing/orienting brush, some of the drag--easy AT loading, and no need to carry your rope to avoid brush entanglement with chipping happening, particularly.

You're a man Steve. People have planted Monkey Puzzles up here, but I haven't had the misfortune of dealing with one yet.

Back