How'd it go today?

I've never really seen people buying pine, but I burned some myself, as I got paid to haul it off the site. Good for getting the fire going. I have a piece of pine sitting next to my stove right now, as it happens. A remnant from burning season, which is now over at our house.

I don't think creosote was as much of a problem back in the days of the old pot bellied type burners like Round Oak or Warm Morning types that were not so called "air tight ".

I over the years developed a layer of shiny tar like residue inside my 9" clay liner type masonary flue .I could not remove it no matter how I tried which prompted me to last fall install a 7" ridged stainless steel 24 gauge liner .The price really was not that bad. Fact the piece of mind was worth every penny plus the time involved .When I checked it about a month ago the only creosote was the last 6 inchs which stuck above the masonary chimeny .That accumulaion was pyralized which does not catch fire like the tar type stuff .

With all due respect, its probably fair to say people down in the deep South don't know as much about heating with wood as those up North. By the same token, we, up North, probably don't know as much about living and thriving in intense humid heat.

I grew up in North Dakota. Even when it was -20 I never wore a coat. After joining the Army, I got shipped off to Augusta Georgia, where I spent nearly 3 years. The heat and humidity nearly killed me. I quickly learned that if I was going to spend time working outdoors, I would have to get up with the chickens. Early mornings working like all hell, then sit in the shade and drink iced-tea until 4 PM.....then back to work again until dark.

Joel

What is there to know about living in high humidity, besides carry a towel and endure?

I was trying to be polite and point out that while they don't know shit about dealing with cold, they probably know a thing or two about dealing with intense heat that those up North have never seen.

I can actually take the heat in spite of spending a majority of my life in the north .Cold you just put on more clothes .Fact when I worked construction come winter time I looked like a giant .

Chris, I'd been thinking along the same lines.

It probably never gets cold enough down south, that you can let the stove really roar, so you get creosote build up.

Well.. back from the crazy day.. just fed the kids after 8 pm and I have a chicken in the oven that was supposed to be for tonight. We'll eat that tomorrow. Just had to get it cooked as it thawed out all day. No Katy. Dunno when she'll be home. Rob had the kids all day after my parents dropped them off. Landed another reduction job/three beetle kill removals and two oaks to prune on the way home. I am tired and the kids need bed.

I was trying to be polite and point out that while they don't know shit about dealing with cold, they probably know a thing or two about dealing with intense heat that those up North have never seen.

I know, Chris. I live in Asian humidity, not so bad as other parts, but I have experienced many a rainy season. A one year stint in a very wet part of the country, i swear the old time residents there must have web feet. So, I was just saying that there isn't a heck of a lot that you can do, when mold thrives better than humans. Starting work early is a very good suggestion.

Yes, Chris, mold can be a continuing problem, but decent air circulation is it's nemesis. When I was putting tree work flyers in mailboxes, I was cruising all the second home areas in the woods, and many many places haven't been visited in some years to many years. It wasn't uncommon to smell the mold from inside the house while standing on the front porch, or just when getting close to it. Kind of creepy! It can't be very unhealthy to stay there, especially when what they call "black mold" has set in, and many people that used to visit their places from the big cities, have given up on coming because airing out the structures became inadequate with less frequent trips to the area. Lots of places like that for sale now and cheap. The mold smell is in everything now, you just about need to get rid of all the goods inside and rip out the whole interior. Imagine having a second home and never visiting, it seems rather excessive to this poor boy. On the other hand, if you hire a service to go in and open the windows on a regular schedule, or have some fans on a timer that move the air daily from outside for a few hours, it minimizes the mold problem to a very large degree. During the rainy season the atmosphere stays damp for a couple months almost continuously, and it is warm temperatures, the perfect environment for mold to grow when poor air circulation. One reason that we get a lot of removal jobs up in the woods, people wanting to let in more sunlight and wind passage.

I'm pretty sure putting work flyers in mailboxes is a felony over here. At the least, it's solicitation and you can get busted.

Stupid law.

Max...are those trees going to be removed or is that it?
You sure are a busy guy!

Ok Canadians...I have to pick up my game, one of my clients has the Garden Club of Toronto visiting her house and garden next week...I am flat out primping the trees, mahogany, ebony, cedar, palms...haven't been there for about two years so lots to do!
Least I can recoup that expensive battery and alternator repairs...

Back