Pick one

• Logger

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Climber

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Both

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters
I'm a licensed harvester (loggah) in mass, but rarely get to exercise my skills on a true logging job. Mostly lot clearing with some residential work mixed in. Me no climb.

Worked in the woods when I was a snot nosed punk kid...

So I voted logger. :)

Set chokes and bucked logs on the landing...

Knocked a few big trees down with some of the old timers that were on the job. I loved it... I was only 16-18 years old though... so of course I knew everything.

I tried the climbing gig... might do it again someday... but my back will prolly keep me on the ground.

Gary

Logger. I set chokers, bumped knots on the landing, and ran Cat when I was a kid. Bucked behind my uncle for a couple of years and he taught me to fall. Or tried to... LOL. I worked at that for quite a few years until a log rolled on me and I had to have repairs on both knees and hips. I still get out there pretty often and help out some friends when they get behind but I can't pack the tools on steep ground all day anymore.
Most of the time I drive logging truck. It keeps me in the woods and out of my wife's way. It's an easy job if you don't take it too seriously.

I run a small gypo outfit, so I'll have to say I am a little of both. During logging season, which is winter-spring around here we fall trees full time. The rest of the year we alternate between climbing and falling, depending on what jobs we pick up.

A bit of both :)
But can hardly call myself a climber in your company but i'm learning it (slowly)!!
And welcome Stig !!

I did some climbing today removing a small Maple so I checked climber :/: I guess that qualifies me as a climber. It started to snow today at the tail end of the day as I was chunking down the spar. I looked like the abominal sawdust man when I hit the ground.

I have flirted with logging a little and have done some custom felling for others to have logs milled because they didn't have big enough saws. That timber cutting is a whole different ball game than doing custom tree service, timber work can be more dangerious to me than doing tree service.

Climber here. Where I live (WA) though, there's not a big difference between climbing and logging. I like to think of myself as an urban logger.

I voted for both. I started in the woods and ended up off the ground most of the time.
Its like the wheel of evolution is turning full circle and we are going back to climbing trees. Darwin didn't see that did he.

I guess I fell somewhere in the middle. Done both, loved both.

I can't honestly say either one in the true sense.I've done both but in a rather limited amount.At the moment I have around 8,000 bdf of saw logs in my field to be milled if that accounts for anything.

If there was a catagory of a glorified firewood cutter I suppose that would be me.

there is a BIG difference between climbing and logging.

I just meant that it seems like even if I'm climbing I usually have to get the stuff on the ground in 12 or 16 ft lengths to maintain lumber value because it's such a waste to turn a 36" diameter log into firewood. Every once in a while I get a job setting chokers up high for a lot clearing operation around here, and that's about as close to being a real logger as I'd like to get.

Straight climber here, nothing logger about me. But i do love to climb!

I guess I voted climber but heck im not even doing much of that anymore.

Back