• Logger

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Climber

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Both

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters
bump.

Interesting old thread. And possibly with Stig's first post?

I picked both, though I don't do a whole lot of either.

I'm a climber when it comes to taking down trees in town, or around buildings. I'm a logger when I come across something that is suitable for the band mill. The majority of my loot ends up as firewood.

Joel

Both, although I always labeled myself a timber faller, not a logger...they were the lowly riggin rats:) I have done a little hooking and chasing/knot bumping under a line machine, but hated it. I thought that falling timber was the most glorious thing in the world, until I chose to give it up so as not to lose my kids in a divorce. Decided to get into tree climbing, and although at first I felt like I was pissing in the wind, I am so glad I made that move, as I feel that I was born to be a tree climber! I have my moments now where I see all my old timber falling pards having some glory, and find I really miss it, but I also know that it is a tough game for a family man, and can't help but smile when I see how I can still have some glorious times with my tree business and be home with my family every night where I belong. Sorry for the long post...this is an interesting thread!

I was a lowly logger that occasionally fell timber. Both were glorious but falling more so!

Seems like most of the timber fallers that I worked with during my career had put their time in being riggin rats. I realize now that it would have been good for me to not be so stubborn about being a logger, as I would be more well rounded. Now that I have a mini skid, I realize that I could have definitely benefited by learning to run some machinery, other than a power saw! I should video myself running that thing...it would definitely belong in the comedy section :)

Comedy is always good helps keep the soul happy!

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

I voted both. My first 20 working years as a hand faller and part time skidder operator in a cut & skid logging operation definitely enhanced the work I do today as an arborist
............... or as I like to say "hybrid logger-arborist".:D

20140602_100944.jpg

Both. Most of my life has been one big exposure to tree work and my adult career became a climber. But I had a chapter of logging in there. Man do I miss it sometimes. The eastern woods are a great place to call your office.

Occasional urban logging. I have too much milked wood at my house. Got to start selling it. Regular Doug fir goes to the log buyer in town. Just got a number of port orford cedar logs over to my band saw miller, and pick up some cherry.

Mostly a climber, but a feller, too.

I put climber.
Like most tree workers, I occasionally do a felling/clearance job which requires a grab truck to take it to a sawmill.
But that's rare.

Back