Pick one

• Logger

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Climber

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Both

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters
This thread is bringing out a lot of folks.

Hi Robert.

Hi Emilio.

What are you gents up to these days?

Hey Darin I have been gone some time it kinda nice being back at the treehouse.I have been very busy with a project that has nothing to do with trees but it is fun I have been managing the airport here in my home town it is good but takes alot of my time so my dad has been running the tree biz all by alone but hey he is very capable so it all good here how is your biz doing.

Hey Butch, yeah kinda something like wings but without the hot sandwich lady, Helen,

I'm neither.
I've been involved in both my whole life... but that doesn't make me a climber or a faller. Yet.
groundie category for me maybe.

Just saw this..

I'll go with both, started out logging for about 5 years, doing treework since. Less travel!

If there was better money in Logging I'd be content to chop in the woods my whole career ... I have grown to LOVE the climb/rig/remove....

Logging anecdote from the memory banks: When I was logging for Future Logging in Springfield, OR, when we would leave for the woods on Monday AM, we would get up at 2 freakin AM to get to the shop and into the crummys (pick ups) and drive to the woods so we could be in the brush working by the time there was enough light to see. Tues-Thurs we would stay in cabins (not logging camps or anything) closer to the work, only hadda get up at 4:30 those mornings.

i picked climber, i do residential logging, but i employ fallers to do the big bottom cuts, i feel comfy up to 3ft dia, and sometimes a fuzz bigger
i can send it where i want in the tree, but its a different game on the ground, i feel slightly out of place on the ground, my guys are all older fallers and dont want to climb anymore so i climb for them.

i looked at 44 redwoods for removal today the biggest is close to 5 ft on the stump all regrowths, about 2 wks work, we'll do it all from cuttin to truckin,

i love to climb, i love to do big take downs, .. i guess im just a tree guy

I picked climber even though I am pretty much a newbie at it professionally. I have been felling trees longer, but I can't say I am a logger. I do mostly brushing, and that's ground work for the most part. Shat, I was working that saw like a machette today ... LOL Tangled nasty mess that was!

i looked at 44 redwoods for removal today the biggest is close to 5 ft on the stump all regrowths, about 2 wks work, we'll do it all from cuttin to truckin,

i love to climb, i love to do big take downs, .. i guess im just a tree guy

Awesome, did you get the job?

I didn't vote 'cause I guess I'm a jack of all trades master of none.
Worked as a climber for several years back in the 80's (dang I'm gettin old!) Did my fair share of land clearing. No 'real' logging here in NEPA just mostly pulp wood. Did a climbing removal of a Maple last Sat. But I just love tree work.
But for my real money I'm a machinist and welder.
......and besides there's no where to pick hack:P

I think pretty much everywhere in US and Canada.

True that. But...I can remember my great grandfather, grandfather, and dad all saying the same thing. It just goes with the territory. It's what we do. It's who we are.

It's worse now. Big machines and big business have ruined logging. Felller bunchers are the scurge of the bush imo. Big payments to big banks and big equipment manufacturers so mills can get more wood for less money.

I'm a climber no doubt. I guess i like being closer to home also. I think there's work (seasonal at best) if you don't mind travelling all over the province and living out of a suitcase.

Just saw this thread because I was on a boat off of Colombia this time last year when this thread started.

I'll let y'all guess how I voted....:D

Attachments

• throwing chips.jpg
    throwing chips.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 144
Climber...
(with a little bit of felling, not logging, thrown in, or dismantling windblow... wood gets cut and left on site, doesn't have to be pretty.)

I was a logger for 1 day. I pinched my saw so I had to walk all the way back to the landing to get the skidder to push the tree. Grabbed a hitch and took it to the landing where I stayed and I was back on tree crew the next day

Back