Hitch Hiker Reviews

That's a great video Porkbrick. I love the webbing loop for hand over hand.
I have a Petzl hand ascender that I bought with my RW. It works well but I just find it too cumbersome, remember i'm in England on generally smaller trees than some of you guys.

I love the simple and compact idea with the Basic and webbing loop.
So much kit to choose from and not enough money!

instead of pictures, i decided to make a video:D
>

Ohhhhh, I get it now!
That was great, very clear and informative, much thanks.
Curious, what rope is your main line?

Does one HAVE to get a low stretch STR line, or do people go ahead and use what thay have been using before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been using my provided DRT line, it has its faults for SRt but it gets the job done. I have a new Poison Ivy ordered @ Big Green and it should be here by the end of the week!

I will have a video up tonight, stay tuned!

Here is my first Hitch Hiker Video. I had wanted to do more but need a second person as a camera man. This was my first attempt at voice over narration so hope it isnt too boring!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qL0gbzHnRKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please Click Through to "watch on youtube" if you like the video. Otherwise it does not record a view.

And the importance of that is?

Are you planning to make money or something off the video?

I have no intentions of being a youtube partner or monetizing my content. I have around 5,000 views on my youtube channel, Cody mentioned making something like $1,800 of like 5,000,000 views. In most cases I couldn't monetize the content if I wanted because I don't own the music.

Making video content requires a fair bit of effort if you aren't uploading a 30 second clip from your cellphone. Its encouraging to look at your channel and see a quantification of how many people have seen a given video. On embedded videos it doesn't record a view, so I could put up a video and see that 2 people watched it, when in fact many more had seen it.

If users don't want to click through they don't have to - I don't have a knife to their throat.

Nick, that was great! A real good job of showing a smooth one-handed swing and limb walk with an SRWP tool.

David

If users don't want to click through they don't have to - I don't have a knife to their throat.

No, brother - I was just asking, no harm meant. I clicked on it.

I have youtube vids that I pretty much just don't pay much attention to, other than the one Jerry B filmed.

Nice vid, Nick ... kudos! Thanks for putting that up. Now ... if I could just get one of my own ...:/:

Nick that is an awesome video, you look so fluid and comfortable in a tree. I feel you really demonstrated most of the HH attributes.

Jack, Im sorry but Ive been slammed here this past week and havent had time to put the finishing touches on the Tree House HH, I will this weekend and get it headed your way monday.

Paul, no need for sorry. I know you've been busy and you don't have to rush it on my account. I've really got high hopes for the HH but I can wait. ;)
I'm just glad to hear something. Thanks. :)

I will do a few follow ups with some SRT to DRT transitions and maybe a few different ascent systems. I might even wear a hemet for the next one.

If I only had a RopeTek t-shirt.

I caught a couple mistakes after watching it ten times. I said chest ascender when I meant harness once; and I definitely called it the Ropetek Wraptor once or twice, oops!

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback guys!

OMG no helmet on your rec climb! Shame on you!

:roll:

Nice videos from both you and Jamie. Is that oak in your back yard? Nice tree to mess around and try new stuff in. I'm jealous.

That was REALLY good, Nick.
Thanks a lot for posting it.

About the helmet on a rec climb thing.
We did a ninja climb on the biggest conifer in Denmark a couple of years back. On the hike back, we passed a huge burl on a larch treee. I wanted a picture of myself sitting on it for the woodturning forum ( turners are NUTS about burls) so we set a line for me to SRT up.
None of us were wearing helmets, warm day and the climb was officially over. Richard flicked the SRT rope to get it to swing free of some branches and knocked a big dead branch loose that just flattened him. I hostly thought he was a goner, the sound when it hit his head was terrible.
He survived, with a split scalp and a major concussion.
Since then, anytime we do ANYTHING around a tree, we wear helmets. Even if we just drink coffee:lol:

P1000755.JPG

I forgot it and sunset was coming. Normally I always wear one. It was a park and it was a long way back to my truck so I said screw it.

Glad you liked it though

Nick, curious do you ever actually use the 3:1? I tell everyone about it but i dont think i actually have ever done it at work. Limbwalking srt is easy enough.

I had never used it at work before. I think limbwalking is a big concern for people so I wanted to demonstrate it. I used it today and ran out of rope before i got to the end of the branch.

Truth is I am tall, really skinny, and have a higher than normal power>weight ratio in my upper body from years of rock climbing. I cant bench 180 but 25 pullups is no problem. Pulling my weight around on the rope, especially with a hand ascender, is the least of my worries in a given day.

For years and years I had an awesome power to weight ratio. Back when I was 17 and rock climbing a did 100 pull ups from a wooden step in the bike shop I worked at.

Now I have a Wraptor and have a hard time lifting my beer:lol::lol::lol:

Your voice over was excellent. Considering you did the video all by yourself it was good. Though with a cameraman that could be much better. But all in all,, pretty darn good.

Im just like you nick, light as a feather. I believe that srt is especially well suited to a strong core. Pulling myself up the rope 2:1 was always unnatural to me, 3:1 even more so.

i find myself using the 3:1 pretty often, but not for limbwalks. more for adjusting my position for an awkward cut, or for pulling my weight off a branch.

Back