HitchHiker XF now available.

Still not sure I get the idea of having a pulley on the bridge. Reduces friction, but is friction a problem?

The reason for the pulley is to make a mechanical advantage setup so that way when your hip thrusting you don't have to hip thrust you can just use your arms to pull you up. In the videos below it shows examples of why you would need the pulley.

In this video it shows Richard testing different configurations with the device

Oh, so it's just a bonus pulley? Cause the configuration shown on the site would just roll back and forth on the bridge.

Mine is rigged with a small fixed cheek pulley at the bottom of the Steel oval , between the sheaves is my non lock rope snap for bridge attach , handy for tending and ascending

The Omniblock is fast to put on and off the bridge. I got a Rook pulley on my bridge and it doesn’t come off without cutting the bridge or getting the stopper knots untied. The 1.5” Omni is kinda big for that, they make a 1.1” sheave size. Still 60$ for a 1.5” Omni? I’d buy it and use the pulley for something else.

Oh I think I see… the 1.5” Omni is pretty symmetrical, the 1.1” Omni has an edge on one side for tending hitches. Maybe? Idk.
Plus 36Kn vs 23Kn ratings.
D63A3D6A-CC2B-4641-8F25-988006BD686E.jpeg FCE7013A-E889-4743-9F74-F5560DB08336.jpeg

I don't see any good reason for a pulley on the bridge (yes I have tried it) , me keep my bridge connect simple ... one hand on and off if necessary

I love my Rook.
I’d bet it’s not easy to open the Omni accidently. Physically can’t open it with thick gloves, and it locks closed in 2 spots. Gotta push the button while moving the plate, and then do the same thing again to open it. They definitely put some thought into it.

Are you saying it's the same steel?

Wears like...well, better than iron.
HH we used tool steel for the sideplates . Very hard which it needs as it has a hard steel carabiner crushing into it and moving constantly. By virtue of being hard it wears little but is relatively brittle. In the application for the HH it is still super overkill , however I got interested in bullet proof plating as that is some tough shit. Hard wear resistant and can take a lot of abuse. I do a good enough job of friggin' myself up , I dont want to ever consider my climbing gear. The AR400 is amazing stuff, they weld cutting edges on dozers and stuff out of it.

On another note I thought I should clarify some thing I said earlier . I should make note that the HHxf lower friction point is now straight which enables a much larger surface area to distribute the load. My HH are designed to be used with steel ovals (bomber) however because of the complex geometry involved we have a very small contact point. I havent had anything hard coated in years but Im sure they are kicking ass with that. I would like to have a beer with Richard and discuss these things

Ok so what am I seeing in the left hand one? No dogbone and no carabiner, some metal rings and a soft shackle instead???

Last edited:
That's what I figured. Just a placeholder to show "This is what a HitchhikerXF looks like"

Not much, how you doing, oh wait, maybe you meant the soft way of using the HH, an attempt at multitasking. I first tried a soft shackle instead of the carabiner, the edges of the HH had to be rounded off, but worked very well. Figured out later the same could be done with the hitch cord. Bushings or pipe ride on the rope, with the shackle and cord running through them. I’ve made a couple of prototypes to test to make one with aluminum side plates sometime for rec climbing.

Lightweight and quiet for rec climbing. And something to do to keep the brain sludge moving.

How does the performance compare to steel? Seems like it might not grab as hard.

They seem to perform the same, I made the last one with both slots like the top slot of the HH2. The HHX and hhfx have different angles on the two slots, not sure how it affects the amount of friction that is generated.

Back