Hitch Hiker Reviews

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL0gbzHnRKk&feature=share&list=PLA16CB5DEF815A2E2

Thought I would separate this from all of the release stuff. + It makes it easier for people to find if they are Googling for info on the Ropetek Hitch Hiker.

The best thing the Hitch Hiker has going for it is that it is just so versatile. Being able to seamlessly transition from SRT to DRT with the same cord/hitch setup is unbelievable.

Learning SRT couldn't be easier with the Hitch Hiker. You can set up DRT and choke the line in the tree to try some SRT (simply lanyard in and run a biner or a bowline up to a suitable TIP). Or start with a base tie and SRT and if you decide you want the familiar DRT a ground worker easily disconnects the base tie and sends up the end of the line, you clip in and you are back in DRT.

I totally understand all the reluctance to try SRT, but with the Hitch HIker making the change; and still having the option to use all of your current skills, tricks and tools makes it practical from a production point of view.

The whole unit is compact and familiar, using it is like tending with a normal pulley/eye2eye climbing setup. Rated and tested its a bomber piece of life support, they break test at over 10k lbs!

The dog-bone holding the hitch is great. Not having to rely on eye2eye cords presents benefits twofold. First its cheaper and easier to replace. Second being able to set the stopper knots lets you fine tune the exact length of your climbing hitch. Personally I really like HRC with the Hitch Hiker. The thin diameter, tapered and taped, slides right through the dogbone and the reliable grabbiness is perfect.

On short ascents no tending tether is necessary, simply pulling the device up while standing on the foot ascender works great. Using a lanyard over the shoulder connected to either the bridge ring or to the Oxan reliably tends the device up. The other option is using a short, 7-8", eye to eye (i made mine of 5mm cord and used black electrical tape to form the eyes and stiffen it) If you clip either end to the OXAN on either side of the HH it makes a handle that when clipped to a chest harness or like tends the HH with ZERO sitback.

I mentioned this before but I absolutely cant wait to utilize a second Hitch Hiker as my primary lanyard adjuster. The versatility this promises will be unmatched by any other option I can think of.

I have been using the HH every day for every climb for a couple of months now, pruning and removals. I think that it is a perfectly crafted device, it fit in with existing techniques and opened up a whole new world of options.

I believe someday all climbers in the know will have one of these, whether they prefer SRT or DRT.

-- -----------

It is also worth noting that the Hitch Hiker is the only device available that allows both the ascent and descent of a fixed, WEIGHTED, line. The applications for this go far beyond the scope of tree work but a few areas it could be applied are: Rescue, Alpinism, Rock Climbing, Class 3 & 4 terrain, Glacier travel, all sorts of exciting stuff!

Cant wait to see more reviews as the units go rolling out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Needing mechanical ascenders, giving up the 2:1 of DRT, base ties; it is a strange new reliance on things most guys are not used to. Not saying it isnt worth it, because it is, just that the Hitch Hiker makes the transition feel familiar and the whole time gives you the option to immediately switch back to your old methods if you feel production pressure. Sometimes you just dont hve the time to try new things and people say screw it, because of frustration. With the HH, you can ease into it as fast or slow as you want.

Needing mechanical ascenders, giving up the 2:1 of DRT, base ties; it is a strange new reliance on things most guys are not used to. Not saying it isnt worth it, because it is, just that the Hitch Hiker makes the transition feel familiar and the whole time gives you the option to immediately switch back to your old methods if you feel production pressure. Sometimes you just dont hve the time to try new things and people say screw it, because of frustration. With the HH, you can ease into it as fast or slow as you want.

This is spot on. You can add advancing your TIP in there too. Being able to switch to DRT and really work your way up to the top helps a lot.

I'm just saying that when people tell me that there is an easier way to do a hard task, I'm interested, not reluctant.

It's easy to use a 3:1 in place of a 2:1, which was easier on my wrists, until I got mechanical ascenders, for which hitch cord can substitute, old school style.

No base-tie is necessary.

Footlocking is still an option.

I see the reluctance of going from spurs to rope-climbing, but changing from one rope climbing technique to another, I didn't find it to be unnerving or whatnot.

Probably the longer you do one thing that works, the less inclined a person is to try new ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean, I agree wholeheartedly. I am not resistant at all.

I only mentioned reluctance to identify with some of the issues those type of users may have.

Either way Ropetek hit it out of the park with the Hitch Hiker!

Good write up, Nick. I look forward to trying one. I've only used SRT to ascend, comfortable and ready descendablility would be nice

I'm loving ascending srt, but as for working in our spready hardwoods it's a fail. My shoulder loves ddrt - the 2 to 1 mechanical advantage is a must.

So I ASCEND SRT WITH THE HH, then use it in the dDRT mode. Perfect :)

Pete, have you tried setting a 3:1 system on an srt system for branch walking and anywhere you need to pull yourself back up/in? Or is it a bit fiddly for day to day use?

Pete, I was thinking about this a bit and yes I realize it takes some forethought but it is just another instance of developing a more efficient system, every time you are about to go down on a limb if you place say a micro grab on the rope and put the tail through that then upon your return you could get a 3 to 1 advantage and still keep the other benifits for the rest of the tree. I fully realize for us old climbers it is hard to implement change, just an idea.

... I fully realize for us old climbers it is hard to implement change, ...

I know that I have posted this before, but the change to SRT work positioning was not an easy one for me. Mastering the tools available at the time was part of it as was the change in body posture. The Hitch Hiker is a dream to use, so for most climbers that aspect of the change will come easier. However, the working of the tree will still be riddled with problems until achieving an understanding of what working SRT is capable of and not capable of. This was by far the biggest and hardest thing for me.

Production climbers do not spend a lot of time in thought, they just do what needs to be done. It is easy to forget the years and thousands of hours of working within the DdRT system that it took to glance at a tree and accomplish this. When I started using SRT for working the tree I used to dread long limb walks or covering any long horizontal tree sections. I would spend too long trying to make SRT work like DdRT and, therefore, completely missed or overlooked many other possibilities.

In DdRT the rope is dynamic in the system; that is, if you want to move, the rope must move also. It also favors horizontal movement and a leaned-back posture to better engage the arms for this. This leaned-back posture and dependence on arm use is why most climbers will use an SRT technique for long vertical gains like foot-locking or ascenders. Going up wears you out in DdRT.

In SRT the rope is static, you move along it. It favors vertical movements and an upright posture that uses the legs. These are really big and important things to understand when planning how and what routes need to be taken so that it utilizes, not underminds, the system. This will take time to learn.

So is it worth the hassle? I think so as I would not still be climbing without it. My climbing is easier and safer than it has ever been. I seriously wish a quality tool, like the HH, had been available to me earlier in my career. That was not the case, but it's here now. :D

David

My boss got the climbers HH I tried it last week ddrt and unfortunately felt like my production was slower so switched back to the V.T. I do like it its just gana take some time and srt to really enjoy it

I know that I have posted this before, but the change to SRT work positioning was not an easy one for me. Mastering the tools available at the time was part of it as was the change in body posture. The Hitch Hiker is a dream to use, so for most climbers that aspect of the change will come easier. However, the working of the tree will still be riddled with problems until achieving an understanding of what working SRT is capable of and not capable of. This was by far the biggest and hardest thing for me.

Production climbers do not spend a lot of time in thought, they just do what needs to be done. It is easy to forget the years and thousands of hours of working within the DdRT system that it took to glance at a tree and accomplish this. When I started using SRT for working the tree I used to dread long limb walks or covering any long horizontal tree sections. I would spend too long trying to make SRT work like DdRT and, therefore, completely missed or overlooked many other possibilities.

In DdRT the rope is dynamic in the system; that is, if you want to move, the rope must move also. It also favors horizontal movement and a leaned-back posture to better engage the arms for this. This leaned-back posture and dependence on arm use is why most climbers will use an SRT technique for long vertical gains like foot-locking or ascenders. Going up wears you out in DdRT.

In SRT the rope is static, you move along it. It favors vertical movements and an upright posture that uses the legs. These are really big and important things to understand when planning how and what routes need to be taken so that it utilizes, not underminds, the system. This will take time to learn.

So is it worth the hassle? I think so as I would not still be climbing without it. My climbing is easier and safer than it has ever been. I seriously wish a quality tool, like the HH, had been available to me earlier in my career. That was not the case, but it's here now. :D

David

I will revisit SRT as a working system at some point, but I need to radically change how I work (lockjack climber - self tending & 100% reliable grab) to facilitate this. Work, when production is required, is not always the best place to learn unfortunately

David

Excellent post DMc.
In response to Pete McTree's branch walking woes. I carry my hand ascender all the time and have a DMM Revolver under it. It means I have it if there is a very wobbly branch walk. I put it on the main line above me then put my tail into the revolver.
It slows you down getting out on the branch but provides a 3-1 for the return.

For those of us who have spent many years working DRT, changing to SRT is a major mental upheaval. Everything that we are so used to doing fluidly and without conscious process now has to be mentally dissected, analysed, reconfigured and reconstructed. All this while still trying to turn a profit!!

It takes bravery. I say this because we are accomplished practitioners and the radical change to SRT can really challenge ones confidence and ego.
The easy route is straight back to the comfort zone, Lockjack in my case.

I knew that if I was defeated by my Rope Wrench, my groundie's would never let me live it down so I used that against myself to persevere and I'm so glad I did.
Can't wait for my HH to arrive!

i used the HH on a big bay laurel take-down w/crane today. i must say, the more i use the HH the more i like it. tooling around on big prune jobs was a fun start. i deffinatly agree that there is a shift in thought required to really enjoy/benefit from srt. im still working on rout planning on big spreading canopys. the first thing i did after playing around in the back yard was to make a foot loop with a small snap near the top, then i made a small eye to eye out of a piece of coat hanger. the e2e works just like nicks idea, from the biner around the HH and back to the biner. it gives a place to clip you over the shoulder lanyard, or in my case the foot loop w/snap. im getting ahead of myself... so, my setup right now is; pantin on left foot, HH (obviously), petzle basic w/wire gate revolver on bottom hole and webbing loop on upper hole, foot loop w/snap. on ascent the pantin goes on rope, the basic goes above HH and foot loop clips into revolver, and the snap clips to the coat hanger on the HH. now i just walk up the rope with my right hand in the webbing loop on the basic, makes hand over hand possible, and the basic pulls the HHup the rope on each step, no need for lanyard over shoulder or chest clip. it works so well that i wore my pantin with my spikes today and hardly bothered to spike up the stem at all, its so much easier to just run up the rope. i think im rambling, ill try to get a good picture of my kit and post it here. cheers. Jaime

Back