Heavy leaner to fell

Yeah, "Jerry said". We need an internet search engine named that regarding tree work.

About Jerry's method explained. Can you please clarify. No back cut, just kerfing the face until it folds over? Thanks.

That's all there is to it, Jay. With small stems it's easy with a pro saw and sharp chain. But be sure to be quick on the draw.

You can tell when the tree is ready to collapse. the bark starts wrinkling for one. At that point just scratch the back. and have a way to bug out.

Just remember, small stems.

Think of one of those toy wooden flexible snakes Jay
6499725-creeping-wooden-snake-isolated-on-a-white-background.jpg

Thanks. I was wondering if a tree could reach a point where the lean was so bad that it slabbed out anyway after so many kerfs, even without a back cut. Guess in this situation, and as Jerry mentioned, a small tree here.

The other thing I have done with a tree like that is take the powered pole saw to it first (it was stated the trunck was only at 10 foot) and take the end weight off. This also mitigates spring loading of the top which will push the butt back at you.

The most dangerous barberchair experience I have ever encountered was when a tree was leaning on another tree. More like an explosion....and a good experience to learn that trees definitely mean business. Lucky.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's see how these look. They are right off of my phone so bear with me. In one of them, you see see where the split started but was stopped because of the straps. You can also see a buried nail.

2011-12-20_08-46-56_389.jpg 2011-12-20_08-47-09_121.jpg 2011-12-20_08-47-36_570.jpg 2011-12-20_08-56-42_226.jpg 2011-12-20_08-56-51_218.jpg 2011-12-20_08-57-04_62.jpg

Thanks for flipping that for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, with those long straps you can wrap the trunk 3-4 times before sticking the end in the ratchet and binding it down. Several wraps spread out a little may bind the trunk a little better than just one wrap.

Woulda been fine either way, I'd say.

Tree down... nobody hurt... WIN. :)

Eric, with those long straps you can wrap the trunk 3-4 times before sticking the end in the ratchet and binding it down. Several wraps spread out a little may bind the trunk a little better than just one wrap.

Thanks for the pointer. I will definitely keep that in mind for future jobs.

Back