Heavy leaner to fell

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Tomorrow we will be dropping a 12" Green Ash. It's got a clear drop zone right below it so it's not much of a job. I just wanted to toss this out there for some discussion. I am planning on plunging it, but are there better ways? Or what other options should I consider to practice with? There really isn't a whole lot to go wrong with this tree. There are a few evergreens close but that's about it.

I have not seen the pic yet, so forgive me if it's horrible.

2011-12-19_12-27-02_125.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry about the tiny pic. It just came off of my phone that way. If I double click on it, it will show up larger.

In order to keep the cuts matched up, I usually do the Coos Bay as one continuous cut. Assuming I'm standing at 3 o'clock, I start by reaching over/around to the far side to begin the cut. I'll cut about 7 thru 11 o'clock, then draw the saw toward me slightly cutting the top and then bringing the saw down to cut 5 thru 1 o'clock. Then I'll tip the saw forward to cut from 12 o'clock straight down as fast as I can.

My friend John Ciro told me of his father having once rigged a heavy leaner just to hold the lean so he could cut it up, then had the cat release the winch.

Just another idea you might consider.

Small notch, bore in an inch and a half behind the apex, cut straight out. Piece of cake.

Bent ,I'd say and then some . If you know how to plunge take one through the middle and cut the back strap in to out .Whatever you do don't stand behind it else it could snap your head off .Not good .

Accident waiting to happen imo. Ash slabs out with alot less lean than that. That is one I would chain, probably before the face even and use a big saw with a long bar

I've got a hard leaner ash that's about a 2 footer .I'll put about three chains on that one .Funny it's got a hell of a crook in the bottom then straight as a pool cue for about 40 feet .

Looks like a chain or many revolutions with a short piece of rigging rope would be a small effort, then Coos Bay.

Could be, as Erik said, a waste of effort.

Overkill is better than underkill.

Let us know what you do.

I would probably bind the trunk if I were to just flop it but it looks like you could rig it off some of the surrounding trees and use a tag to control the swing.

No rigging from other trees. Ideally we would like to drop it slowly because it's going to land in the neighbors lot, which is lawn. I think I am going to strap it and bore cut it. I would love to try the Coos Bay but I have done it before and I don't want the tree to go towards the evergreens.

There are a fire limbs that we will remove first. The stem can't be more than 10' off the ground before it turns up.

It doesn't look to me like it can go anywhere except with the lean, even with mediocre cutting.

I wouldn't recommend this without seeing it myself but on occasion I put a very narrow face, two or three kerf widths and then a very little back cut just to close the face. Then I put kerf cuts with back cuts and slowly work it until the whole stem is parallel to the ground. I do it when it doesn't matter much. Ash in the winter is probably not a good combo for that. Still it's one that's cool to have in your bag of tricks.

I think Willie is right about deserving caution. Before I even knew that "barberchair" was a term, I had a close call with a similar situation. I cut it totally improper given the lean, and itt slabbed out wicked. Not to be frightened, follow the advise and cautions, you'll be fine. Don't get too cozy at the base there, be definite, but with a thought to get out if something you don't like starts to occur.

It wouldn't break out and slide back on you .What it will do is spring up and smack you right in the kisser like a giant baseball bat .I mean it is an ash .

Why would the tree go towards the evergreen with a coos bay? IME it drops the tree to the lean.

It's just that I have never tried it before. I am sure I could find a way to make it go wrong. As much as I want to the the Coos Bay, I think I am going to hold off for another time.

Back