Game of Logging

• Thread starter BostonBull
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 10K
B

BostonBull

Has anyone here taken this course? What did you think of it? I just read a small article in Forest Products magazine touting the program and am looking for more information.

I just read it. The fellow cites some very good and valid points, but touts the GOL method as the Gospel. Felling technique is far more reaching than any single method. It's experience.

But overall I'm sure the class would be of great benefit to anyone that wanted to up their knowledge and awareness of felling practices.

The principles taught in the GOL article are similar to back here in the UK which as Jerry said are great if you want to improve your knowledge or skills but competency comes from knowledge and experience. One of the biggest things I find is trying to get people once they start to understand the skills alittle during training is complacency. They tend to start off nervous but once they have had some success they begin to think its easy and switch off. I try to convince them that you can have 100 tree's that all look the same and 99 of them may behave but it will only take that 1 to be the 1 that gets you. I don't know about you guys but the tree can dictate alot to the technique you use so the more knowledge the better and its only when things go wrong that your techniques or skills get shown up (Not that im saying any of us get it wrong!:roll:) I try to impart to people skills that will get them started on the right techniques but also tell them you will learn from every tree you cut.
I had Jerry's high climbers and timber fallers as a present last year and the pictures in their are amazing and show if you don't have technique or knowledge when it comes to tree's that size you will find yourself in serious trouble:\:

D

Lol, pay to learn to log. These guys could be onto something. Maybe I should buy a yarder, get a few sales, and start giving courses. How not to get squished!:lol:

First, you got to be able to run, duck, and jump.

second, you gotta be able to do it all at once:D

First thing I was taught by the lead hooker when I was chasin' was... "When I jump, you jump... When I duck, you duck... When I haul ass, you better be haulin' ass... cuz if you don't, we'll be burying you on this hillside. ...and I don't wanna have to make that call to your mama."

Gary

I ran into a couple of guys on a fire last week that had taken GOL. They preach it...it's almost like a religion to them. They don't like anybody questioning their methods or ideas. Kind of like Jehova's Witnesses with chainsaws.

They think if they follow all the rules and do exactly what GOL says the trees will also do exactly what GOL says. No thinking involved...just follow the rules.

Maybe that East Coast wood is more predictable and more agreeable to GOL techniques because I spent most of the morning with a grapple Cat cleaning up their messes. They were supposed to be sawing out a road down to an old water hole but they spent most of their time hung up or running for cover. They blamed it all on the wind.

I thought about marking those guys with tree paint, like you do with culls, but there's not a lot of sense of humor around right now.

I ran into a couple of guys on a fire last week that had taken GOL. They preach it...it's almost like a religion to them. They don't like anybody questioning their methods or ideas. Kind of like Jehova's Witnesses with chainsaws.

They think if they follow all the rules and do exactly what GOL says the trees will also do exactly what GOL says. No thinking involved...just follow the rules.

Sounds like they have no business cutting on a fire. They from the East Coast or something? :what:

Maybe that East Coast wood is more predictable and more agreeable to GOL techniques because I spent most of the morning with a grapple Cat cleaning up their messes. They were supposed to be sawing out a road down to an old water hole but they spent most of their time hung up or running for cover. They blamed it all on the wind.

I thought about marking those guys with tree paint, like you do with culls, but there's not a lot of sense of humor around right now.

Hey Bob!!! Glad to see ya postin' here... stick around mang! :)

Gary

Sounds like they have no business cutting on a fire. They from the East Coast or something? :what:

I don't know where they were from. They weren't cutting on the fire, they were part of a thinning crew that were just milling around trying to figure out what to do.

The fire borders on some ground that I have so I just grabbed a couple of them and put them to work. Big mistake. I let them go til about noon and after lunch I brought in a couple of guys that I knew wouldn't wind up hurting themselves.

Don't get me wrong, GOL makes some good points. But every tree is different, every day is different, the terrain is different,the wind changes on you, the lay is different, on and on and on. Hard and fast rules shouldn't ever take the place of common sense.

So...you guys that believe in GOL, good on ya. But remember, the trees don't take the course.

No worries mang... A lot of guys preach the GOL gospel on that "other" site... and most of them are still cluesless...

They wanna argue about angles with a protractor and plumb-bob... when all you need is a good gunning cut and a few whacks on the wedges... ;)

Gary

I'm with you , I have to work .... excuse me clean up after two dudes that think GOL participation makes them qualified .... it's either Bullshit , Horseshit , or Cowshit .... I'm not sure which

First thing I was taught by the lead hooker when I was chasin' was... "When I jump, you jump... When I duck, you duck... When I haul ass, you better be haulin' ass... cuz if you don't, we'll be burying you on this hillside. ...and I don't wanna have to make that call to your mama."

Gary

I always liked the saying re setting chokers, "In for your job, out for your life!"

Back