Game of Logging

• Thread starter BostonBull
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 10K
Here is a drawing of how we do it, hope you can make sense of it ( and my handwriting)

After doing the undercut, bore in a little less than all the way back in the left side, cut forward, leaving hingewood.
Bore behind hingewood on right side and cut around the tree, the last bit of wood to be cut, will act as backstrap.

Carl we'll never agree on the bar lenght. That is like muslims and christians discussing something, but to me the advantages of a shorter bar are: (beside tradition!!) fewer cutters to file, less drag on the powerhead, consequently being able to use lighter saw.
That means using less oil and gas, and dragging less weight around.
With the amount of bars and chain, I and the guys in my outfit go through in a season, there is money saved in shorter bars being cheaper.
But mostly, it's tradition. The way we have to limb and buck stuff here is simply easier with a short bar.
Don't forget,even though I'm just a dumb European,I have been in the woods in California on several occasions. The way softwood are being limbed there, simply would not wash here, the mills would complain.
Back before the feller bunchers took our place in the foodchain here, when we felled and limbed an ungodly amount of smallish fir and spruce, we needed really fast limbing tecniques to make a living. Small saws with fastmoving chain was the answer.
With a 50 cc saw filed correctly for the job and a 15 inch bar, I can have the limbs off a 90 foot doug fir in about 4 minutes. And I mean, have them off so you could run your bare butt down the log without getting splinters.
Sorry, that's how we used to tell apprentises limbing had to be done. Somehow that bare butt always got in there.
The generation of loggers that were active in the relatively short period here between the chainsaw getting small enough for limbing and the harvesters taking over, grew into being very fast limbers.
Today we hardly log softwoods, but I still show off my limbing tecnique on occasion, to impress the youngsters.

Attachments

• PB090001.JPG
    PB090001.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 66
i missed the humor in that post also, smilies do help:) or even better in your post would have been:P! anywho im with squish on the long bar thing and im not sure what you mean by ourlimbing techniue wouldnt fly over there. whats wrong or different between there and here?

other than small wood and short bars:P it looks like what we do. the mills out here dont even like branch collars, limbing is in effect flush cuts where i logged

In New England .... the main reasons for bore cutting are .... to negate barber chair tendancies in straight grains (Ash , Oak , ect.) also heavy head leaners epecially below freezing (white , yellow , and black Birches especially) .... But the main thing is to protect the mill value of veneer logs (with that value , no rook should be falling...)

Those were tiny lil trees he was cutting. Cool video though. Did anyone else notice the very last cut (at the 10:00 mark) where he upcut through the log and put the tip of his bar either into or very close to the end of that other log, creating a very high likelihood of kickback? Perhaps they should have cut the film off 1-2 seconds earlier... :/:
I don't speak the language, was that addressed in the film? Did he create that kickback situation on purpose to demonstrate what to watch out for?

Noob question...according to Stig's diagram, where would one put wedges if the tree required? On the left and right side of the strap?

Brian, I believe he was showing what knot to do as the exagerated the effects of kickback by flinging the saw upward.

Shorter bars give better control against kickback.

I'm kind of surprised to read that kickback is a concern amongst people felling trees professionally. It's a very basic saw handling understanding to prevent it, and probably most people here hardly think about it.

You must be saying that the people you are teaching logging to, have limited chainsaw experience as well?

i missed the humor in that post also, smilies do help:) or even better in your post would have been:P! anywho im with squish on the long bar thing and im not sure what you mean by ourlimbing techniue wouldnt fly over there. whats wrong or different between there and here?

When I was in California , a lot of the limbing was done at the cold deck, after the logs had been brought out. Here we finish then as we go.

As for placing wedges, you don't need much in the way of wedges if you faal a headleaner. We place one in the first cut, next to the backstrap. Then if we find out the tree was actually not a headleaner ( typical rookie thing!) we can always stick a few more in after finishing the cut.

I'm kind of surprised to read that kickback is a concern amongst people felling trees professionally. It's a very basic saw handling understanding to prevent it, and probably most people here hardly think about it.

You must be saying that the people you are teaching logging to, have limited chainsaw experience as well?

Gary was the one to bring kickback up. I don't see it as a concern, except for novices.

As for the swedish video, did you notice the rear chainbrake?
The swedish logging schools have started to use that, I think it is a overdoing it.
The limbing is done the same way here, with one big exception.
That was an instruktion video, so he didn't step forward with the chain running. In real life, you do that series of moves much more fluid, with no breaks as you step forward.

with our longer bars we usually climb up on the log and bump as we walk down the log

Gary was the one to bring kickback up. I don't see it as a concern, except for novices.

Yep... that was my point... not everybody should be doin' advanced cuts due to the high danger of kickback. Even experienced cutters/fallers will experience a kickback. While 99.9% of the time the saw is under control by an experienced sawyer... the kickback is not as severe... But to joe the cutter, that same kickback might be lethal.

I do agree with the fact that the longer bars out west with the skip chains most of us run are more suspect to kickback on a lot of cuts.

On the limbing thing... most times I just walk the spar and limb with the same saw I fall with... The cuts are flush with the spar. Actually limbing this way with a saw with a 28" bar (for reach) and skip is prolly more dangerous than a bore cut...

Gary

Sotc and Gary, doing it that way you tend to miss the branches on the underside, That doesn't matter if you've got somebody running over the logs on the deck, but here they are send directly to the mill, without being decked first, at least not in a way where you can get to them.
We use these kind of machines for getting most smaller stuff out, I think you call them forwarders?
Anyway, its a moot point, because we don't log that kind of trees any more, having been replaced by harvesters. I am actually thankful for that, it was a really hard way to make a buck.

Attachments

• timberjack.gif
    timberjack.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 58
On the limbing thing... most times I just walk the spar and limb with the same saw I fall with... The cuts are flush with the spar. Actually limbing this way with a saw with a 28" bar (for reach) and skip is prolly more dangerous than a bore cut...Gary

Do that too, but I don't have real good balance on narrow trees....been known to fall off :roll: I usually toss the saw before bailing. :roll:

Back