Fishing 2012

Here in Manitoba we call walleye "pickerel". And a proven fact is the best tasting pickerel comes from our cold water lakes here in northern Manitoba/ Saskatchewan. The warmer muddy lakes in southern Manitoba / Saskatchewan don't offer the same quality of meat.

A record northern pike was caught here next door to my town a few years back. From the photograph the pike was estimated to be 70 inchs but the fishermen and his family ate it before it could be officially recorded.
By Googling I found the photo of the big northern pike but I don't know how to post it.

Maybe someone here can find it and post it . All I did was google "record northern pike from Easterville Manitoba."
A good story comes with the Calgary Sun newspaper clipping of the photo.

It's there. They look pretty happy about it.

manitoba_biggestpike.jpg

I'd like to try the conch, sound tasty.8)

Fish and chips in a pub with a pint of real ale is about the best lunch a person could ask for....maybe two pints of ale. Cod or Haddock when you had a choice, I believe. That was one of the great things about working in Great Britain, getting a little tipsy at lunch. The boss didn't mind because he usually came back snockered from his more uptown pub. Nice customs in that country then.

Man the wife made the best crappie I ever ate the other night. First time we tried it this way and I am in love with it.

I'll post recipe if anyone wants it when she gets home.

She found this on a site looking for new recipes she said.

AWESOME CRAPPIE BAKE

1-1/4 cups homemade ranch dressing
potato chips, crushed
3/4 cup cheddar or colby cheese, shredded
1-1/2 lbs crappie fillets

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees and you need a 9x13 pan.

Pour ranch dressing in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Roll fillets in dressing, coating well. Cover fillets with shredded cheese. Top with crushed potato chips.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until fish is flaky. Then broil 2 to 3 minutes until topping is crunchy.

NOTE: she just used our normal out of the bottle ranch dressing

sounds tasty but chips, ranch dressing and cheese? Sounds about as healthy as a kick in the teeth. :)

Back