Fighting The Heat!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, how is everyone handling this heat? It was 99 degrees with a heat index of 107 yesterday and the same thing is expected for today. I've started a new morning routine of drinking an entire bottle of this pediatric electrolyte drink before even leaving the house. It's kinda expensive and tastes crappy, but it really makes a difference. I have greater endurance and I don't cramp up in the evening. I think the secret is drinking it in the morning, before I even start.

Does anyone else do this?

Attachments

• pedilyte.jpg
    pedilyte.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 60
Hydrating beforehand is essential. I learned that in the Marine Corps. Its far easier to maintain hydration if you are juiced up beforehand then it is to rehydrate when you are dehydrated. I drink big time fluids at night in preparation for the next day during the warm season.

Even my bird dogs, I mix their dry food with water when I feed them. They slug the water as they are eating their food. I can guarantee that they are properly hydrated according to their body weight on any given day. But before we hunt, and I know one of them is going to do a hard 10 miles, I add more water to their food. Molly, my german shorthair, wont stop for a drink while she is hunting, which doesn't bother me because every 15 minutes she is stopping to take a leak. So prehydrating her obviously works.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/17BeQrjmaA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taking bottles of frozen drink whatever to jobs has gotten so popular that someone got the bright idea to sell it at convenience stores now. I bring my own frozen concoctions. I've heard it sad that ice cold isn't so good for you, but it hasn't seemed to bother me. Just in a flimsy stay cold container, drinks in larger bottles will often keep ice in them all day. Plain water tastes good to me when it is cold, and it doesn't have to be the French stuff. :lol:

Shoot I almost feel bad, it hasn't gotten hot here this year! We had a week or so of hot but that was the only time I used my cooling vest!! This I think has been the coolest year in VA since Ive been in the US (1991).

Ya the east coast has had some funny summer weather. Programs hydration is the key. The week before my half marathon in sept I'm going to load up on pedialite and water. I find that I don't sweat near as bad when I go home and make sure I drink 4 plus liters of water and Gatorade mixed.

I don't think loading up a week before does anything, but I'd like to know more. Got any documentation to back that up? I think getting it in your system daily,before leaving the house, is the best way, but I could be wrong.

That was kind of the point, to make sure I get properly hydrated each day the week of the the run. As it goes now I've been trying to keep hydrated. But it's an uphill battle for me. Sweating all day and then running 3-5 miles in the evenings still pouring sweat!! I can definetly tell the days that I haven't had enough liquid...

Damn Scott that is impressive that you still get out and run after work every evening. I cannt find the energy in the summer.

Hey just my opinion but you should start riding. Back in Europe I knew plenty of 80 year old cyclists who would come out and do a 40 mile club run. Dont see too many old runners.... Too hard on the joints..

Speaking of riding, there are certainly a lot of good reasons to do so these days. A guy came over with a belt drive bike, some hard rubber like material with minimal stretch. The frame comes apart to put on the belt, no joint in the rubber. His was single speed, but something about a six or seven speed internal gear hub now that can go with it, no need for a derailer. Things have sure become super quiet when riding now, the equipment is advancing all the time. It also had disc brakes. I do attribute some knee problems with riding now. Moderation is required as you age.

I'm a walker... just finished my 5 miles. No way would I put my 57 year old joints through the stress of running.

The running has gotten pretty addictive here lately. I gave it up for 2 years, but the itch came back!!
I did buy a mtn bike for something different... I'll scale back on the running after this race in sept. The bike club would be fun. Just not sure there are that many around here.

Yeah about 20 min from there. I'll start checking into some clubs. Heck the gym might even have one! I've been so focused on work and running, feel like I'm in a bubble sometimes!

Shoot everybody is in a bubble. If you are a tree climbing, cyclist who likes to waste time in a machine shop you are my kinda guy;)

Feel bad for you guys, I've been wearing a fleece jacket all week at work, barely beat 60 degrees...

I want a good all round bicycle, hybrid, ten speed and mountain bike...

You're a sensible lad, Deva. Maybe if you're a pro racing in the Pyrenees, otherwise nobody needs more than ten gears. I'm digging one speed, but not for the hills.

Please don't hijack this thread. Start a biking thread and post all you want. I promise NOT to talk about fighting the heat in that thread.

Sure thing, enthusiasm got the better of me. Back to the heat, got a fan blowing on me now. No breeze tonight. I like to drink liquids before going to bed too, a couple glasses full, usually no need to get up to relieve. I don't know if it is purposeful to be hydrated in bed, but maybe anywhere.

It's been cooler than average here lately. But a little while back it was HOT. Starting at 6, go home at 12, seems like nothing gets done in the heat of the day. The vest looks cool though, I want one.

Back