Felling cute trees with a cute saw

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Took this pic today. Been using the battery powered saw for about 6 months now. It great if used appropriately.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389162101.227241.jpg

This was an approximate 10" Eugenia (I believe that's syzygium paniculatum if I spelled it right)

love
nick

love
nick

Nick, the way you have spoken of your market I would think you would be in the best position to have gained from owning a battery operated saw. Have you gotten any jobs or felt it helped you to get a gob because you could do the saw work without 2-cycle noise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
. Have you gotten any jobs or felt it helped you to get a gob because you could do the saw work without 2-cycle noise?

One lady told me she hired us for a super easy $900 removal specifically because she read that we don't use gas powered blowers. It really struck a cord with her and the job was ours!

love
nick

Is it loud? I ask because every electric saw I have seen/heard used was surprisingly noisy. Chain bar and sprocket generate quite a few decibels!

Power? In what unit of measurement would you like me to report that?

This thing is not loud at all. I'll report back with a decibel report later today...but I'm a stickler about hearing protection and I don't use it when using that saw. You can have a conversation with the operator while it's running and you only have to slightly elevate your voice.

I originally got it so I could cut bowl blanks in my garage without getting high off the fumes. It's become much more than that now. I'm considering buying the next size up!

Jeez, Nick.
Half the fun of cutting bowl blanks is getting high off the fumes.

How many models do they have?

Two that I know of. The one pictured is a 12" bar. The next one up is 14. No tools needed to adjust chain tension!

I might not have fuel fumes to get high off, but when cutting camphor I have to take it outside the garage. It makes me super dizzy!

6 months prior we had bought the blower, battery and charger already. So buying the saw for $350 was fine since we already had charging supplies. But yeah, the batteries are like $150 and I think the charger was $99!

Regarding how long it lasts- quite a while. Way longer than a tank of gas on a 200t? I think? I've never timed it. What I do know is that the blower drains a full battery in about 15 minutes. But the chainsaw lasts a LOT longer.

My saw will go all day and then some at the back of the chipper. It is nice in close quarters too, like a hedge next to a fence.

It's the saw the guys grab first. If we are talking 12 inch limbs then yes- it's 200T time. But the battery powered saw is quieter, easy to start (just pull the trigger), and as much as you might tell yourself you love the smell of exhaust in your face- the truth is, it's great not having to deal with that.

love
nick

I’m usually not an “Early Adopter” when it comes to products. I wish I could wait until Husky comes out with second or third generation saws and batteries for their top handle saw when it starts selling in the states. But the fact is I will probably buy one right away.

I think I can “market” a more quiet job and get enough extra work in a couple of weeks to pay for saw and extra batts. Not only will some customers benefit but I will then have a better chipper saw, a no fumes saw, and a before and after hours saw for when called for.

Thanks Nick and others for trying these saws our early on and sharing how they work and what they can do.

It's the future, not today, or tomorrow, at least for me. But especially in city centres, noise and air pollution etc.
It's coming, and they'll get better.

Customers love it. It has paid for er self several times over.

Another way I can tell which saw is getting used the most is to open the saw box on the truck. The one in front is more likely the one most recently used- and that's always this one!

love
nick

I can see, where you are in Los Angeles, that little bugger would be a good selling point. I would get laughed at here until we used it in front of them. I really want the Husky that is coming out. I would have one for prunes and one for the chipper.

Grip heating uses so little electric power, that they very well could.

Took this pic today. Been using the battery powered saw for about 6 months now. It great if used appropriately.

This was an approximate 10" Eugenia (I believe that's syzygium paniculatum if I spelled it right)

love
nick

love
nick

LOL

I often use my Silky Zubat on stuff that just under that size rather than either of my two Stihl. 10" though ... sure, I'll pick the power saw.

Looks like a cool little saw though. I should check one out next time in the saw shop. Didn't realize they had bat saws.

Where's you find that Butch? When I get back to it, I think elec will be in the cards more than it already is for me.

Back