Felling an outlaw

Crack me up, Butch!

Clear-cut and Ol' Irish, by the feeling I get from your posts you guys been there. It's good to see you in the House, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Thank you.

I am as well! Your stories are fascinating and offer a window into a bygone era utilizing a largely forgotten skill set. Please don't think any stories or experiences you pass along will be only for our entertainment, but instead for our continued professional development and education.

As well it should. Stories of the past, embellished as some may be, are still as proverbial as the stories told around a camp fire thousands of years ago. But today we have the internet.

Your stories are fascinating and offer a window into a bygone era utilizing a largely forgotten skill set. Please don't think any stories or experiences you pass along will be only for our entertainment, but instead for our continued professional development and education.

Thanks for explaining that, Grendel. That's what I meant when I suggested stories and pics.

Stories of the past, embellished as some may be, are still as proverbial as the stories told around a camp fire thousands of years ago. But today we have the internet.

Exactly, Gerr!

And re storytelling, do you guys ever think about the multi-billion dollar movie business and how it is just an extremely evolved form of the campfire storytelling a thousand years ago. People loved stories back then and they still do as shown by the massive big bucks people shell out to see these movies/stories.

I think to myself, yeah right!
Helluva good flick!

Paul didn't top that tree, a guy named Wayne did. Still, Paul put on some spurs and with a lanyard spiked up a few feet above a platform that they had built around a small tree, put his hand on the handle of a saw that was stuck in there with a face cut already made, and they got the shot. :rockhard:

Hey Cory, sorry I missed your post .Had to finally get to work yesterday, To answer your question about ageing and how to keep going in this business, I would have to say genes first then exercise and then luck. If you do this long enough you are probably going to get it if you can't move fast enough. Most of my operation is mechanized now, but I still do all the hand falling of the oversize. The other factor is probably diet. I live 100 miles from the nearest Mac fries. I am thankful every day that I can and want, to get out there. I am sure that all of us are dreading the day when we wake up and a little voice says "stay home you old fool".

old Irish, you are a talented writer:thumbup:

What exercises work well for you over the years?

I'll say that for someone who has been logging for 37 years and sometimes feels a mite wore out, it is an inspiration to see guys like you, that are still going strong.
Makes me feel better about the future.

But, but, what about the old and orthopedic?

In dire need of artificial support?

Cranes n buttons n joysticks n such?

Or are they left on the ice, for the wolves to dispatch?

Where's my air conditioned operator's cab?

I'm workin on it.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JZXtdDURPTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

I am reading High Climbers again and I keep wondering how long it takes to cut one of those trees down. Can anyone comment.... Jerry maybe?

I know there are tons of variables involved but trees like these are so foreign to me that I have no idea if it takes an hour or two, or a whole day. Or two days for that matter.

I don't think that I have ever felled a tree that took more than 5 or 10 min to drop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

For felling a giant tree a stumpgrinder might make a pretty good undercut. Lol

Cory I haven't had time to do much this winter because we have had a lot of work. Love to go to Teton Pass and get face shots!

Not today, I assume, with all the new snow! http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/57554051-68/avalanche-colorado-broken-missing.html.csp updated, 2 confirmed dead...I think that might make 8 in the last week or so.

This is from near Ruby Bowl, above the Blackcomb Glacier,circa 2006
308105880_a4c5a0c524_o.jpg

Oh, welcome to the House... look forward to hearing more about your life in the woods.....and slopes!

Nice shot.That is what we used to live for, a day like that. Did you shoot the photo? Yes, the conditions are sketchy out there, but everyone knew early on that they would be with all the layers and temperature gradient snow. Might as well just work till conditions improve.

Back