Felling an outlaw

That's what I'm saying.... I wouldn't even know how to set a line in one of those.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Like this!
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5EQor0h-KqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I may be the only member besides Jerry that has experience with this. I will try to post a few pics. someday. To answer the question: The biggest tree that I fell was a Redwood 18' across. It contained 80,000mbf. We used a Mac.125 go cart with a 6' Cannon bar. It took my partner and I one full day to fell and with both of us bucking one full day to buck. We used a D8 to split the logs with a large steel wedge because they had to be quartered just to load them. It contained approx. 15 loads of logs. We made $800 dollars for the two days work, which wasn't bad for 1979. I still fall timber every day in Montana. If I can answer any more questions about this lost art, I would be happy to. By the way: we regularly had several climbers working, rigging these monsters.
Pat

Now that's some history! Thank you for sharing and yes, any pictures you could share would be appreciated!

Good stuff, Pat.

What led you to Montana from the redwoods? How many years did you fall old growth reds?

I would have thought Montana is feller buncher territory, do fall the oversize stuff?

Guys the tree was approximately 2500 years old. Sad? probably to many. I am just a worker bee in a society with demands. Cory I always worked in the woods since I was 17 in N Calif. moved to Montana in the 70's to be a hunting guide, built my own log house by hand and needed to make extra money so went back to the Redwoods and started my own contracting business. I had 25 fallers working for me in 1987 and we cut 70 million in that one year.Now I have my own logging Co. in Montana my partner runs the fellerbuncher and I fall the oversize and do a little climbing etc.

In addition this is a great site. I am learning a lot and want to expand my climbing skills. Thanks to Nick and all the other young guys on the climbing and gear forum and to Butch for hosting.

Friends one day when I have time I will tell a few stories and learn how to post a few pics. In the meantime I would be happy to answer any questions since everyone here shares their knowledge so generously.

Sounds like you are in great shape! Back country skiing too? Daaaayuuum:thumbup:8)

Cool Pat. I'm a free heeler myself, are you one of those fixed heelers I always feel sorry for? Lol.

Friends one day when I have time I will tell a few stories and learn how to post a few pics. In the meantime I would be happy to answer any questions since everyone here shares their knowledge so generously.

When you're ready to post some pics, people will readily walk you through it.

On a side note, I recently was able to upload smartphone pictures of a printed photo with good results. A lot of good photos could be easy to share in our age of digital cameras and smartphones.

Tangents in threads are normal, and we even get back on track. Frequently, I learn a lot going down all these side roads.

Everybody's friendly here, essentially.

And there is a TreeHouse introduce yourself thread

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...official-quot-Welcome-New-Members-quot-thread!

Yeah Squisher I still use 3 pins. Without cables. Get some weird looks. But hey, when you are skiing perfect snow why would you need all that fancy gear? Fancy gear is for climbing Right?

Thanks Sean I have been following your posts. I know you work in the tall stuff. I used to pack a big set of those Silvey jacks on some steep ground!

Do you know Matt Allen in Auberry CA Old Irish?

Uses an old WW2 tank landing craft to remove trees on Lake Arrowhead?

Thanks for posting!

Jomo

Yeah Squisher I still use 3 pins. Without cables. Get some weird looks. But hey, when you are skiing perfect snow why would you need all that fancy gear? Fancy gear is for climbing Right?

Cool.

When you have time we all love old growth and redwood stories.

Justin

Jomo I don't know him. I would think that he has a cable yarding system mounted to it. That is common for some yarders. I don't think that is anywhere close to where I used to work.Thanks

Yarding was my forte. Rigger and choker pig for a lot of years on our coast. Then I got into res work and quickly learned I knew very little actually about climbing. The Treehouse brothers have taught me a lot.

No kidding! I have learned a bunch. This site has got me pumped enough to learn the real skills. All that we used to do was spurs, one lanyard and no safety! Many, many miles from any kind of help in steep inaccessible ground. Squisher you probably worked on similar terrain.

And with similar equipment. I was trained to unclip to bypass obstacles and all that sort of stupid stuff. The climbing saws were a 272 or a 288. I preferred the axe mostly. Lol.

Back